Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Am in the process of removing the swinging arm from my 73 Tiger 750.
Wheel is out and main shaft tapped out easily, the manual says the arm can now be removed, however something is stopping it from coming out, any thoughts.:confused:

·
Registered
11,451 Posts
Wheel is out and main shaft tapped out easily, the manual says the arm can now be removed, however something is stopping it from coming out, any thoughts.:confused:
Santa,

You have two distance pieces (spacers), one on the right and one on left (one is thicker than the other). You need to tap them out (I use a suitable piece of wood). Then your swingarm will pull out. Watch out for rubber protecters. They rip easily.

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Santa,

You have two distance pieces (spacers), one on the right and one on left (one is thicker than the other). You need to tap them out (I use a suitable piece of wood). Then your swingarm will pull out. Watch out for rubber protecters. They rip easily.

Thanks for that, combined with Daveforty's words of wisdom the arm is now sitting in a greasy heap on the garage floor.
The next trick is going to be to get it all back together again, looks like it may well be a little tricky.:confused:

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Swingarm T 140v..how did it go?

Searching "swingarm" threads because I need to tap out and thread due to a broken grease nipple (left side) I have to work from the floor and I'm not limber enough. It looks pretty straight forward for removal but the reassembly may be tricky with all the parts?
I found another thread talking about reaming bushings. Is that necessary to reassemble? How did it go Santa?

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I found another thread talking about reaming bushings. Is that necessary to reassemble?
Should not be necessary if you have not removed/replaced the bushes or powder coated the swinging arm (heat!).

Important. If you remove the bushes then they should be replaced and the assembly line reamed or line bored. Line reaming or line boring means that a long reamer or drill is used so that the reamer/drill goes through both the fitted bushes at the same time so taking out any slight misalignment between the two arms of the swinging arm.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
Should not be necessary if you have not removed/replaced the bushes or powder coated the swinging arm (heat!).

Important. If you remove the bushes then they should be replaced and the assembly line reamed or line bored. Line reaming or line boring means that a long reamer or drill is used so that the reamer/drill goes through both the fitted bushes at the same time so taking out any slight misalignment between the two arms of the swinging arm.
Thanks epynt1050. are you saying that I can remove and replace the swingarm from the frame without disturbing the bushes and sleeves?
I do just need to repair the grease nipple.

·
Registered
11,451 Posts
Thanks epynt1050. are you saying that I can remove and replace the swingarm from the frame without disturbing the bushes and sleeves?
I do just need to repair the grease nipple.
Yes. You would only need to deal with the bushes as outlined by epynt1050 if there was extensive wear. Check measurements of diameter of sleeves in General section of manual.

You may want to post a pic of your broken grease nipple before you take the swingarm off. Should be able to snap a pic from underneath bike easily. You never know, there may be a solution to your problem without taking off swingarm.

Here's a pic of the swingarm off. The sleeve should be snug but able to be pushed out without too much effort. Also a pic with grease nipple taken out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
here is a pic. I could not get the camera far enough away to focus :(
Looks like the threads are still there but I cant get the new (60-1841) grease nipple to grab the threads - if they are still there!
With the swingarm on the bench I'm sure can fix it. Good to know it won't be necessary to deal with all the other pieces.
Thanks triumpt120rv

·
Registered
11,451 Posts
here is a pic. I could not get the camera far enough away to focus :(
Looks like the threads are still there but I cant get the new (60-1841) grease nipple to grab the threads - if they are still there!
With the swingarm on the bench I'm sure can fix it. Good to know it won't be necessary to deal with all the other pieces.
Thanks triumpt120rv
You wouldn't want to put the new one in on top of the old one anyway. There would be a chance that the new one would push or screw the broken thread down to scrape against the sleeve. Don't forget the 75-2501 washer for the nipple. Without the washer the nipple will scrape the sleeve.

BTW, they make grease nipples that fit American grease guns but still fit the swingarm thread.

Merry Christmas Dave.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
done

epynt1050 and triumpt120rv, Thanks for the info.
I guess I can let Santa's thread go back to archives now for someone else to find. :D
It really was pretty easy for an amateur like me. I did have to use a little drift to get the distances pieces in. btw, I was able to use grease fittings from my local hardware.
Thanks again. Merry Christmas !

1 - 12 of 12 Posts