Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, there's a guy in my neighborhood with a '95 Daytona 900. His swingarm has some sort of crack in it, & he's looking to either replace it or have it welded. That leads me to my questions:

Can the swingarm be removed & replaced while the bike is on the centerstand?

Did the '95 'tonas come with centerstands?

Last, will a swingarm from a Daytona 1200 fit a 900?

Thanks,
-Kit

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Kit, I don't know if the Daytonas had centerstands. The Sprints did.
I think I'd want more than just a centerstand supporting the bike for a project like that.
I think that the major difference between the 900 and the 1200 was the engine so I think the swingarms would be the same.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Is that ReasearchRat's bike or is that is someone elses bike? I took the swingarm off my TBS fairly easy. I have a picture of it off and have the subframe removed but I had it off before without taking anything off but the swingarm. I used my Craftsman bike jack the first time I did it, it is purty simple. Hope this helps.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, man. I was thinking the 1200 swingarm would fit, & I asked the guy if he had a centerstand or not. Centerstand isn't necessarily the ideal way to do this, but I think it should be fine with 2 people.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
71 Posts
Meanchuck, Kitt just clued me in on this thread. Unfortunately, the Daytona does not have a center stand. But from your pic, it looks like swingarm removal is doable with a couple jacks.
How long did your swingarm swap take? Did it require any nonstandard mechanic tools?

Thanks for posting the pics of the swingarms. I plan on taking the bike to a shop for a prognosis this weekend. If the swingarm can be welded without removing from the frame-will probably go that route.

If you take your bike to a shop, be sure to relate no more than 26 ft lbs on those pinch bolts.

-RR

·
Registered
572 Posts
Make sure the shop is a quality one, I have been a metal fabricator for years and welding aluminium is not the easiest to do and should not be taken lightley. As far as time on my swap I could not give you a good quote I have tried a couple of different ones till I was happy with the one that I have now.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Meanchuck (is this a police academy movie reference to"sweetchuck" character?" )

smart looking machine-where did the front end come from? Was it an easy swap in? Require any fabrication?

-RR

·
Registered
572 Posts
The front end is off a 1992 GSXR750. It will require different bearings and maybe a different stem. I have bigger issues to attend to that that so I havn't got it all figured out yet. With my new job that I'll be starting I will have a lot more cash so I just might get billet triple trees. :-D It's hard to tell at this point what I'll be doing to it yet it depends on if my Speed Triple sells or not and I have my Shadow to finish first.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Umm, Chuck? What the, er, heck is that? The tank's off a T3 sport machine, but those pegs 7 chrome engine covers aren't... Is that your TBS project?!?!

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
572 Posts
Yep that is (or was) the TBS! Those are not pegs(on the second pic anyway), I made those to support the bike on jackstands since my jack doesn't work to well with out and exhaust under the engine and I do not have the rearsets fitted to the bike yet. It has a 2002 Trophy tank. GSXR750 forks and fender, Ducati Monster seat, RC51 swingarm and CBR900RR wheels. I have a long way to go yet but it is shaping up nicely. I am getting ready to start a new job in a week and a half, I have my other bikes to get ready for the road and my neighbors streettracker frame to finish before I get back on the project but I am hoping to have it on the road by late summer.

[ This message was edited by: meanchuck on 2007-03-15 11:57 ]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts