Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the process of rebuilding/regreasing the linkage bearings on my bike. Stripped the linkage apart just to check the condition and hoping just a regrease would be required. Unfortunately, the bearings that pivot with the shock have gone. Boo hiss. :(

I've ordered some new bearings from Erkis (possibly used to be WYKO?). £6.42+VAT ea for the bearings (Koyo 20BM2620) and the accompanying seals (INA SD 20x26x4A) are £1+VAT ea. P+P is £9.95+VAT though. Still cheaper than dealer though by a significant amount. They appear to be a difficult bearing to get in that spec. You can find SKF 20x26x20 bearings on eBay cheap but they are not the full complement type which is I believe what is required to stand the load.

Anyway, my question, are there any pit falls to watch while pushing out the old bearings out and is there a recommended grease to use?

Cheers,

sam

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This hasn't gone well at all. ERIKS finally supplied some bearings today which were completely wrong but happened to be 20 x 26 x 20mm. Phoned 'em up and it turns out that they can't get what I'd actually asked for: Koyo 20BM2620's. Now I'm a bit stuck. The bike is jacked up, I've pressed the old bearings out thinking I could press in the new ones tonight but no such luck. Where can I get these bearings from without paying dealer prices? Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Sam

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah ha, they look more like it. I think I saw these last week when I was doing some research but dismissed them after I thought I'd just purchased like for like from ERIKS, no such luck though. Has anyone fitted these/are they a good quality replacement? Cheers DEcosse for your help. :)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Hey there Sam,

I was in a similar predicament with my bearings completely rusted out and turned to powder. There was a wait on the new bearings through Triumph so I went to a wrecking yard who happened to have a drop link with as-new bearings in them for less than the cost of a set of bearings, which saved me the problem of pressing out the old ones and cleaning up the mess from the rust.

Not something I would always recommend but I got lucky and made the job easier and quicker!

EDIT: I should note the quoted price through Triumph was around $150.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did start looking at salvage parts but simplybearings.co.uk managed to supply the correct bearing off the shelf and it was delivered next day too! :D I've ended up with a slightly different set of seals, a TC type rather than a "G" seal. I don't think that will matter though. To get the bearings in (and remove the old ones) I warmed the alloy linkage up with a blow torch. With some heat the bearings pretty much pushed in by hand.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I did start looking at salvage parts but simplybearings.co.uk managed to supply the correct bearing off the shelf and it was delivered next day too! :D I've ended up with a slightly different set of seals, a TC type rather than a "G" seal. I don't think that will matter though. To get the bearings in (and remove the old ones) I warmed the alloy linkage up with a blow torch. With some heat the bearings pretty much pushed in by hand.
Good feedback!
I might still order a set through a bearing supplier and install it in my spare droplink. This will make it an easy swap for me. Based on some of my research it looks like these bearing should be checked every couple of years minimum.

I am not sure if it is due to being in Australia but some of the Triumph pricing is just outrageous! :jawdrop

·
Registered
685 Posts
If someone can provide me with some part numbers for Koyo/SKF etc i'll see if my dad has these in stock - he owns a bearing business in Melbourne so might be handy for aussie members including myself.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I'll get him to have a look and see what he has, he has had bearings for all the bikes i've had so far so hopefully should have them.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I'll get him to have a look and see what he has, he has had bearings for all the bikes i've had so far so hopefully should have them.
Great initiative, let me know how you go. If you can get them at a good price it might be cheaper for me to buy through you and post. I can pay you through PayPal. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts