Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been noticing something not right over the last few days. I have had a hard time keeping my drive chain in adjustment on my 05 Sprint ST. So I decided to check the chain with a 30lbs weight like the service manual states. Everything OK there. Then I notice quite a bit of play in the swing arm. I then noticed the swing arm bolt backed out about 2-3 inches. On the other side the bolt was missing.
I wasn't sure how this could have happened. I did just have a Motor swap done. I Changed my oil with somebody talking my ear off and forgot to tighten my oil plug with a wench. It rattled out when I was doing 100+ and lost oil pressure. It was cheaper to buy another one off of EBay then fix that one. I thought it would be a good idea to have the certified tech at the dealer do the swap and to check out the new engine to make sure everything looked good. He seemed to do a real good job. I paid him 500 to do it on the side. The $70/hr shop rate at the dealer was killing me. I was reading the SM about engine removal and re fitment, He would have had to loosen the clamping nut and the locking nut. They were both loose today when I found the problem.
What do you think, Should I jack him up? I could have forgotten to tighten something myself for free. That's why i paid him, so I wouldn't have to worry about this kind of stuff. Is this something that could have just happened?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
That is pretty serious justinh.:eek:

In fact I can't think of anything much more drastic to be honest.:(

How many miles has this bike done?

I have not heard of this happening on a Sprint before.

DaveM:cool:

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
WOW:eek:

Glad you found this prior to a really 'sad' post

If you haven't removed said bolt, I'd be back down to the dealers sharpish

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
I would let him know. due to the fact you didn't have the shop do it you do not have much to do other then have him get the bolt and put it on. I do not think you can hold him to anything.

This is just another confirmation why I go over the bike anytime anything is done by anyone always check all major parts for fit and so on. I had a dealer (Honda not triumph) do some work on a cbr of mine. When I was going over in the parking lot they were giving me hell about it till I found the oil plug finger tight and the axle nut finger tight.

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Ok, I have never seen this. Mine was tremondously tight. I would have had to use a breaker bar to loosen it. I would tighten it back up to spec and ride on.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Machines break, and humans make errors. Never hurts to look over the bike after a shop has done work on it. You might get razzed a bit if they notice you doing it, but deep down they know that you could be saving them a bunch of grief if you catch a dangerous (liability) condition.

In justinh's incident, a major disaster could have happened. While fairness makes us think that the dealer is blameless, a deep pockets lawyer might think otherwise. If any member of the dealer mgt staff knew he was doing it, or if he did it on the dealer's premises, or used dealer equipment, they would probably be named in the law suit.

My initial thought was that he should keep it between himself and the mech. Now, I am thinking that if I was the shop owner, I would want to know about it, mainly because of the liability issue. Remember, they always go after the deep pockets, regardless of fault.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
I'm trying to figure out the oil plug coming out at 100+mph.

The last time I had a quart of oil dumped on my rear tire it was in a race and a part failed the result was a flying X, broken collar bone and 3 broken ribs.

Don

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
Doh I missed the oil plug too. I have never heard of a loose oil plug retaining oil. If it was so loose that it would fall out then wouldn't it be dripping? Boy I'll tell you what, I am not fantastic at my pre ride inspections and have a tendency to be quick about them unless I am going on a major ride in which case i go over my bike with a fine tooth comb.

In your case I would go over your bike bolt by bolt because as Don's says, oil on back tire is disatrous and I am not sure how with a missing oil plug you kept it on 2 wheels. I mean a Sprint holds as much oil as a small car so it would be everywhere.

On this forum we take everyone at their word first so I hope this isnt a bit of a story........

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm trying to figure out the oil plug coming out at 100+mph.

The last time I had a quart of oil dumped on my rear tire it was in a race and a part failed the result was a flying X, broken collar bone and 3 broken ribs.

Don
I went to hit my brake for a stop sign and I had nothing for rear brakes. So I looked down and the back of my bike was covered in oil. It could have been another really bad deal there too.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Yeah, I remember about a year ago, thinking my brand new Conti Road Attack felt just as bad as the worn-out Pilot Power it had replaced. Followed very quickly by seeing the oil light come on...

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I wasn't sure how this could have happened. I did just have a Motor swap done. I Changed my oil with somebody talking my ear off and forgot to tighten my oil plug with a wench.
OK, that is the problem....loose wenches tend to cause pressure problems....

:D:D

·
Registered
329 Posts
It rattled out when I was doing 100+ and lost oil pressure.
I went to hit my brake for a stop sign and I had nothing for rear brakes. So I looked down and the back of my bike was covered in oil
So lets see you lose oil pressure at 100 mph (and yup that is then likely when the plug fell out) but really don't check anything until you get to a stop sign and need to brake???? Seems pretty weird but you are awfully lucky not to have dumped it at 100+ with an oil slicked tire.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It's a good thing I live in the Fargo/Moorhead area. The armpit of the Midwest. There isn't a curve to be found for quite some distance. Its like a grid out here. In fact when I first started riding in more wooded parts of Minnesota I almost panicked when I hit some twisties. However you can top your bike out no problem without ever seeing another car. Plus speeding tickets are only about 1$ per 1mph. I went to talk to the Tech today and he tried telling me " I never had that out" I then reminded him that the SM tells you too remove the swing arm pivit bolt. He them owned up to that he might have forgot. O well. Sh!t happen's At least he owned up. He ordered me a new one. I'm just glad nothing happened. Only thing that really sucks is I got my throttlemiester crusecontrol in the mail today and I have to wait till my part comes in to try them out. They seem to work pretty well. It will sure make those long trips a lot nicer.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
And for you who doubt me get a xxxxxxx life. Like I don't have better things to do then lie to people I have never met and will never meet on some forum. Do you think I just yanked the engine out for fun. The guy in the picture is the only certified tech in 250 miles. If your still not sure call the Triumph dealer in Fargo and they know me well and ask them. Like I need to lie to kick it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I'd be going over that bike with a fine-tooth comb right now...checking every nut bolt and zip tie.....just in case!!

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
And for you who doubt me get a f-ing life. Like I don't have better things to do then lie to people I have never met and will never meet on some forum. Do you think I just yanked the engine out for fun. The guy in the picture is the only certified tech in 250 miles. If your still not sure call the Triumph dealer in Fargo and they know me well and ask them. Like I need to lie to kick it.

Easy Brother, its just a miracle you weren't killed. You have to agree that you are one lucky guy to still be up and about if your oil plug came out.

The post is just quite fantastic overall considering everything that happened.

·
Premium Member
24,384 Posts
And for you who doubt me get a XXXXXXX life. Like I don't have better things to do then lie to people I have never met and will never meet on some forum. Do you think I just yanked the engine out for fun. The guy in the picture is the only certified tech in 250 miles. If your still not sure call the Triumph dealer in Fargo and they know me well and ask them. Like I need to lie to kick it.
justinh

pull your head in my friend.

Don and I won't be making a lot of warnings.

We don't tolerate your sort of response on this board.

You are being far too thin skinned.

DaveM

1 - 20 of 26 Posts