Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bike 09 ST with 15000ks....

Just notice today that when I was stationary at lights with bike in nuteral, that it was moving slightly from left to right (swaying)..
Did not notice with cluch in and in gear.............Riding it all seems good..

Any idea what it is ..or what I should check.??????

Regards Neil

·
Premium Member
1,050 Posts
If it isn't sloshing fuel, it might be an inner ear problem. If it happens with a full or near empty gas tank, see a doctor.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Check your tire pressure.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have felt this as well. I have convinced myself that this is caused by sloshing fuel by a not so scientific process. My "not so scientific" confirmation came via a series of experments conducted in a parking garage (controlled environment). By this I mean, there's no wind in the parking garage and I had let the bike set stationary for 20-30 minutes. Get on the bike, shake it from side to side, then wait to see if I feel the bike swaying. When the tank is less than half full there is now detectable swaying. When the tank is near full, there is definte swaying detectable.

I also did this with my Buell which holds the fuel much lower (fuel in the frame). There is no detectable swaying on the Buell regardless of fuel level.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Your vertical positioning gyro is not working properly. It needs to be adjusted to a higher RPM. :D

·
Registered
22 Posts
Was this near japan and around 6 weeks ago?

If not i'd go for, A) Fuel sloshing about, B) Wind sloshing about, or C) Beer sloshing about. Almost everything else on the bike goes up an down relative to you.

·
Registered
4,122 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,034 Posts
.... what type of oil are you using? :rolleyes:
Can't be oil, but I'm convinced it's the chain lube. You obviously put way too much on, causing a hydrostatic magnetic field, causing interference with the mechanical static gyroscope in the rear guzinta valve.

Sent from my iPhone;)

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I don't know, guys, it really sounds like worn exhaust bearings to me. :D

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Can't be the muffler bearing. They came chromed on that model. My self, I'm leaning toward weak sidestand springs. The slower power impulses at idle causing the sidestand to swing out momentarily then back in. You know, in-an-out kind of thing.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Is there ethanol in the petrol? than can have a devastating effect on the tyre pressure due the differing densities.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Wow never new there where so many comedians on this site..................

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.