Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Does the Thruxton have an endless chain? I took a quick look and didn't see a Masterlink.
Not sure about the Thruxton, but my Speedmaster has an endless chain.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Remember you'll need a rivet tool for installation of your new chain for a strong chain. They're around $90.

Or, you can simply purchase a master link for $6 or $7 (which I did) it's alot cheaper. I haven't noticed any problems with the master link. Though some will caution against using it.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Remember you'll need a rivet tool for installation of your new chain for a strong chain. They're around $90.

Or, you can simply purchase a master link for $6 or $7 (which I did) it's alot cheaper. I haven't noticed any problems with the master link. Though some will caution against using it.

Yes I will (((Caution))).... If you ride aggressively.... you could loose a masterlink chain. I have and let me tell you it can be Dangerous !!!
New modern high torque high reeving motors can shuck a chain. It is cheep insurance to have it done or buy the tools to do it right yourself when putting on a new chain.
spend the bucks get chain & sprockets + tools and do it up right. After all if it keeps you up right it could save you a lot more than money.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the heads up. The EK chain I bought forever ago came with a clip-type Master Link. However, after reading the above posts I'm re-reading the directions and found this footnote:
"EK recommends using a riveted-type master link for all street and dual-sport motorcycles, and EK's clip-type as an alternative for off-road use."

But then it goes on to say: "Try using EK's patented screw-type master link, provides rivet-like fit and strength without special tools or removal of the rear wheel."

Does anyone have any experience or opinion on those?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts