Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Tiger 1200 XCA
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks!!

I am quite an happy owner of a fantastic Tiger 1200XCA. Done 15k kms on it so far and I enjoyed most of those..

On the tarmac the bike is absolutely a beast, put some decent road tyres on and I can ride all day on all kinds of roads. Now.. This summer I had the opportunity to take the bike for some off-road, so fitted the Karoo 3 and off I go! The tracks were nothing too complicated, but had all kinds of terrain; from fast gravel roads, to steep heels with loose stones and some mud. At 250kgs the bike behaved well as long as the track didn't require much movement and I could keep the speed above 10 km/h.. but the moment things got a little more interesting at slower speed it has been hard work for a non-experience off-road rider like myself.

I am seriously considering swapping it for a 900 Rally Pro, I've tried it a little during the trip and the 900 felt like a dirt bike compared to the 1200. Didn't have the chance to do a full day test ride but I am fairly confident I would gain a lot of manoeuvrability off-road that would make the experience more enjoyable with less work.

The real question is.. what would I lose compared to the 1200?
  • Is the the horse power (do we really need 140+??)?
  • Is it the comfort on fast roads and/or motorways (don't really want to do a single km on those tho!)?
  • Pillion comfort?
  • Cornering capabilities?
Any input and comments are very well appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Boring stuff I know but you may miss the shaft drive (lower maintenance), + service intervals are more frequent for the 900 too.

·
Registered
Tiger 900 GT Pro
396 Posts
You'll drop HP going to the 900, but you'll also drop weight and have a lower centre of gravity. These two will make dirt riding easier and probably more fun in the slower patches. It sounds like you appreciated these differences when you rode it.

Remember the 900 has the new cross plane motor and many triple riders have complained about the different feel of it. However it seems the different motor was not a problem for you.

·
Registered
Tiger 1200 XCA
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the posts folks! :D

Boring stuff I know but you may miss the shaft drive (lower maintenance), + service intervals are more frequent for the 900 too.
Shaft drive definitely a good point being a fairly lazy person.. Was one of the main reason for going with the 1200 indeed. But then it also contributes to the weight of the machine so I should probably stop being so lazy and learn how the adjust the chain once in a while.. folks said it isn't that hard to do?!.. :rolleyes:

However it seems the different motor was not a problem for you.
True, didn't bother me. I don't think I am that sensitive :)

You'll drop HP going to the 900
Yeah.. sounds like I'll probably miss te punch of the big 1200 and all those HP.. This is probably the major draw back especially on fast roads and motorways?

·
Registered
2,373 Posts
I've never understood why people would spend £13K on a dual sports bike that weighs 250kg and risk taking it off road and dropping it, with repair bills running into potentially thousands of £'s :oops: . But each to their own I guess......I wish I had enough money not to worry about these things :p .

Although marketed as on / off road bikes, they're really on road bikes with off road looks.

·
Registered
Tiger 1200 XCA
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've never understood why people would spend £13K on a dual sports bike that weighs 250kg and risk taking it off road and dropping it, with repair bills running into potentially thousands of £'s :oops: . But each to their own I guess......I wish I had enough money not to worry about these things :p .

Although marketed as on / off road bikes, they're really on road bikes with off road looks.
I think this is a wider discussion than this thread. And I am sure there are plenty of open conversations on the topic :)

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Hi,
I've had both the first gen explorer and the 800xc so not quite the modern models you are deciding over. My 800 felt a little more agile on the road, easier to flick from side to side. It was definitely easier to handle on Salisbury plain where I live. The power felt more than adequate and with a scottoiler fitted the chain maintenance was not a bind.

trouble is, on the road I loved the stable way my 1200 felt with its extra weight. The engine sounded deeper and the torque shove was significantly better. Two up touring was easier than the 800. Off road on the 1200 consisted of campsite access tracks and the gravel roads of Salisbury plain a bit too heavy for anything else.

it really depends on how much of each type of riding you do. Knowing that this post has not helped you at all, enjoy your decision.:)

·
Registered
Tiger 1200 XCA
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi,
I've had both the first gen explorer and the 800xc so not quite the modern models you are deciding over. My 800 felt a little more agile on the road, easier to flick from side to side. It was definitely easier to handle on Salisbury plain where I live. The power felt more than adequate and with a scottoiler fitted the chain maintenance was not a bind.

trouble is, on the road I loved the stable way my 1200 felt with its extra weight. The engine sounded deeper and the torque shove was significantly better. Two up touring was easier than the 800. Off road on the 1200 consisted of campsite access tracks and the gravel roads of Salisbury plain a bit too heavy for anything else.

it really depends on how much of each type of riding you do. Knowing that this post has not helped you at all, enjoy your decision.:)
Hey @itchyfeet! Every comment counts!! Thank you so much!

Plan is to stay away from the motorways as much as possible, so hopefully won't miss that much the stability of the 1200.

Plus.. I'm really enjoying going off-road and like you said with the 1200 anything more than a gravel road becomes a struggle..

Gonna start putting mine on sale next week, it's a great bike should be gone quickly!!

Thanks again!!

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

1 - 8 of 8 Posts