Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
an update, i traded!! a nice but too cool to ride a hundred miles thursday i loaded my 12 5900 mile mag wheeler on the fronty + returned with a nice preowned 18 T120 from Hermys, doing little in the cold weather but looking + learning. a decat for sure + prolly a regear, would like some lighter tubless wheels but $$$$ gotta save some up! maybe try sealing them as i read tons on it!

·
Registered
28 Posts
Unless you've got thousands to spend on new wheels then the DIY tape option is the best choice, I don't see what you get in the various kits that you can't buy yourself much cheaper, if you're ok with taking the wheels out yourself than the actual taping part isn't very difficult just needs good preparation, and the worst that can happen is you end up with a slow leak if it doesn't work first time, you won't do any real damage. Have a look at the various posts on here over the winter, there maybe some tips you can pick up that specifically relate to the Bonneville wheels.
[/QUOTE
I was under the impression that there is a difference between the rim flanges on tubed and tubeless rims. The tubeless rims hold the tires on to the rim when deflated more so that the tubed rims. Then there is the question of the valve stem for the tubeless rim---using it on a tubed rim..which normally has a thinner wall thickness. Granted that sealing the rim with some type of tape will contain the air---its the issue of what happens with a sudden loss of air at 75 mph...

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
watched a great vid on sealing wheels last night from bestrestproducts.com he notes using 3m 5200 sealant on the spoke nips + having used 100% silicone that skins in about 7 min depending on the temp + a bit later more will not stick to it unlike the marine grade sealant used, he also notes findtape.com for the tape + 8mm stems either straight or 90, prolly about $50 for 2 wheels with leftover tape. for sure a cheaper process than said kits+ as noted new cast or otherwise sealed wheels are $$$ but they offer other benefits, as usual its all about the $$$$. its prolly cheaper for triumph to use wire wheels that are NOT sealed, so thats what we get!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
an update, i traded!! a nice but too cool to ride a hundred miles thursday i loaded my 12 5900 mile mag wheeler on the fronty + returned with a nice preowned 18 T120 from Hermys, doing little in the cold weather but looking + learning. a decat for sure + prolly a regear, would like some lighter tubless wheels but $$$$ gotta save some up! maybe try sealing them as i read tons on it!
[/QI
I just finished doing the decat and Predator Pros and gear change on my 2018 T120.....It does make a difference--a different bike it seems. That and some KYB gas shocks on the rear---now to improve the front end---and that damn seat. Im having one custom made ,

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
what size sprockets did you use + was a new chain required as mine has only 7 thou on it. snowing again so looking for some fun in my shed-garage, fire the wood stove + i am comfy!! + content

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
dont know how to edit so another thought on water cooled T100 mag wheels which i never really looked at, if the center has the right center protrusion holes can be drilled + tapped for a second disc as i had done on another bike.

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
of course the rear gotta work as well. manufacturers keep many fitments similar on various bikes to of course cut costs as setting up machinery is costly

21 - 27 of 27 Posts