Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Till the bitter end!

Road to work in 2 degrees! I wish I shelled out a bit more for the ABS model with the heated grips. Oh well!

I got the most out of my back tire and its about that time to swap it out. A few questions:

Is it cheaper to buy tires at the end of a riding season or in the spring?

Are there any other advantages for buying at the end or at the beginning.

Read a lot of good reviews on the Michellin Pilot Road 3's. What is a good price for a set of those? Anyone know of a good seller in Canada/USA?

Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
You may find better deals at the end of the season, though all the advertising is at the beginning. No real issues with storing tires for a few months, as long as they're stored out of direct sunlight and away from ozone. One of the risks of storing a bike is getting flat spots on the tires from sitting, so you'll want to wait 'til Spring to actually install them.

If you ride 2,000 kilometers a year and keep your tires forever, it would be best to wait and buy the newest tires possible in the Spring, but if you're doing 16,000km/year it won't matter.

Motorcycle Superstore, Chaparral Racing, Rocky Mountain ATV, and, umm, that other place I can't remember right now are all pretty good price-wise this side of the border; not sure how shipping to Canadia affects their pricing.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
For your location, Pete's Superbike in Montreal has some of the best prices in Canada, close to to US prices with the convenience of easier (cheaper) delivery.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I agree with the above. Not sure if the ST should get the "B" model of the PR's, I know the GT recommends it and I decided to give it a try since this set will get a lot of "loaded up" miles on it. Anyway, the point of my post was that I opted to go for the PR2s this time around. The PR3s from what I could gather as pretty much the same as the PR2s in every regard except they are better in the wet, and the PR2s were already really good in the wet as it was. For $50 cheaper, I went with the PR2s.

·
Registered
436 Posts
If you're riding in the sleet and snow a bit before storage, I'd change before putting it away...hate riding in the wet on a mostly gone tire(s) as I lose all confidence in the bike - but otherwise, wait til Spring.

- dan

1 - 6 of 6 Posts