Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, as the title states I've swapped the stockers for 2004+ GS500F mirrors. I almost always have the Givi on the bike which exasperated the worthlessness of the crappy (IMO) stock mirrors. I never liked the stockers and added bar-end mirrors that allowed me to see behind the bike. That was OK, but it did kinda look like a 'mod scooter'. I never felt comfortable using the bar-end mirrors alone. They work for me on bikes with standard bars but I couldn't see quite as well as I wanted with them on the RS.

Before I go any further, 2 things:

1. I know some riders like the RS mirrors and think there's something wrong with those who don't. That's fine- everyone has a right to their opinion but I'm not going to turn this into a debate.

2. Thanks to those who did prior VFR RS/ST mirror swaps and posted up. That got me pointed in the right direction.

I have spinal problems (both neck and back) so I need good mirrors. I don't have the range of motion of most riders so I have to be able to see what's next to me and behind me with mirrors. That's why I also use spot mirrors- they eliminate blind spots.

I chose the Zuki mirrors after scoping them out at a cycle shop. I had looked into getting VFR mirrors but never found the deal I wanted. These cost me $38 each plus $8 shipping. VFR mirrors always seemed to be around $75 each.

Left Mirror: SKU: 56600-01DA0 MIRROR ASSY, REAR VIEW LH GS500F

Right Mirror:SKU: 56500-01DA0 MIRROR ASSY, REAR VIEW RH GS500F

Don't order the Suzuki bolts, they're too short. I used 1/4-20 x 1 inch stainless bolts with stainless locknuts. You can use metric but I used what's readily available and cheap. All you need to do to make them fit is use a small rat-tail file or dremel to elongate the stock mounting holes on the bike. I think it was less than 1/16" that I removed.

They work great! Awesome visibility, easy to adjust, and they stay steady and clear at triple digit speed. SV1000S mirrors are very similar but don't stick out as far. I had originally planned to use them but went for the ones with a bigger wingspan.

I uploaded the pics so you can click on them to zoom.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
Those look like they will work great. Thanks for all the info (part #s, etc.). That will make it very easy to get the parts to install them on my RS.

·
Registered
8,109 Posts
Good post

Good job Pelon.

I am OK with the stock mirrors myself as I am normally going faster than most of the traffic anyway but they look the part.

Well done... :)

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I went with the bar-ends myself, but these definitely look like they'll do the job.

·
Premium Member
9,047 Posts
Good job, Pelon.

I have the VFRs on my 06 but would have been just as happy with those Zukies.

This is good info for Panther's parts listing.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
Nice

Mirrors? What's behind my is of no interest to me:D

Nice write up Pelon complete and to the point.
Looks pretty good too.:welldone:

Don

·
Registered
425 Posts
That's a great post, Pelon. Thank you. I've been trying to find Y2K VFR mirrors but they're difficult to get hold of. Your alternative looks ideal.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the compliments. It was probably the easiest mod I've done once I decided which mirrors to use and got them into my hands. It would have been 10 minutes tops if not for the trip to the hardware store. I had some bolts that were close but not quite long enough. :(

The 'big ears' comment made me laugh. They look much more natural when viewing the bike in person. I was about to order the SV1000S mirrors when I happened across a thread where some SV owners were using blocks for extra spacing and others were installing the GS mirrors. From my measurements, the SV mirrors would still work fine while not sticking out quite so far.

While under way I don't have much problem with drivers behind me but while in traffic I pay attention to cars bearing down on me. I've been rear-ended 3 times in other vehicles and will take evasive action on the bike if I feel traffic behind me isn't stopping.

I don't know if they'll work on ST's and unfortunately I don't have access to one. I looked at a picture and schematic, it looks like the fairing is shaped differently at the mounting location but I think the hole pattern is the same FWIW.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Hey all ... I've dug up this old thread as I think about mirror replacement. I'm wondering if others have tried this setup and what the feedback is.

Did anyone go with the SV1000 mirrors (as mentioned in the first post)? The GS500F mirrors, while providing a better view, don't quite have the look down, IMO.

I really like the mirror stocks on my RS's OEM mirrors ... the mirror shape and lack of view are lacking, as many have commented.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Also resurrecting this thread as large view angle and spread apart mirrors is what im looking for. I recently installed the CRG bar end mirrors on my RS and I can hardly see anything and i have to look down. I feel like bar end mirrors on the sprint is just not what im looking for at all.

I ordered on amazon thank you for providing those SKU's!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts