Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi to All

I'm a new R.A.T. member, just picked up my 2007 Red/Black Bonnie. This bikes takes me back in time and is the perfect classic/retro/standard bike. I used to ride all over the country in the early 70's on Triumphs, Yamaha 650's and Honda 750's This new Bonnie is much improved from the old bikes with no vibration, smooth clutch, tranny etc. I'm sure the suspension is improved but it seems very harsh over even small bumps ( better have both hands on the bars and not be scracthing your chin) This is my only complaint with the bike or maybe I have become spoiled with the suspenders on my BMW and FJR. I suppose this is part of the retro feel. I didn't see any topics on replacement rear shocks, Works Steel Tracker or Ikons, and Progressive or Works frpnt fork springs. I would appreciate any comments or feedback on the suspension improvement issue. :cool:

·
Registered
288 Posts
I'm currently running Traxxion AK-20's, Works Streetrackers, and Avon Azaro tires. The bike works sooo much better this way, and is much smoother. The radial tires made a significant difference in their own right. I actually changed the shocks first, because the stockers had no rebound damping to speak of; the bike would wallow around going down a straight road. The forks came later, stock damping-rod forks are just plain harsh and boingy and nasty. I posted up a fairly detailed review of the AK-20's around here somewhere. I've entertained the notion of getting some cool-guy piggyback Works shocks, but I can't really find any valid complaints with the streetrackers.

·
Registered
519 Posts
RangerRick...there are a ton of old posts on suspensions....just use a keyword and search the old threads....most agree with you...first loosen up the stock rear shocks a notch and get progressive fork springs like Ikon or another brand...Then save up for some really good rear shocks if not satisfied...

·
Registered
426 Posts
I thnk Doctorjay has it there: replace the front springs - Ikons are a pretty common choice. That will take care of the dive on brake and a few other issues. Its a pretty cheap bang for the buck. The rear shocks would be next, when and if...
You are not spoiled, the stock suspension is a dissappointment but is easily fixed. It will be a whole new bike afterward. the stock tires are not the greatest but wear them down and go for something else. I've got Metzlers, but whatever would be an improvement.
The front springs are going to be the cheapest and biggest improvement - do that first, then assess.

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
Ikno fully adjsutable shock and Ikon progressive front springs. The best mods you can do for the bike. You will not get your teeth rattled after that and you will be impressed by how good the bike tracks with a real suspension. Enjoy!!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all your input. I will definitely be changing out front & Back :cool:

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
Damping in the front tubes is left for lacking, it is for this reason that one should try the rear shocks at their softest preload..... unless one is heavier and/or with passenger.

You could however consider replacing the factory fluid up front with a heavier (synthetic) fluid. This will buy you time, allow you to use a heavier setting at the back, and research what your alternatives are for after-market suspension components.

When considering after-market, consider such things as whether they are (universally) rebuild-able, if rebound and/or compression can be dialed in, and the degree to which AND ease of preload adjustment can be made.

I'm a bit of a cynic..... having bought into various sales pitches about the suitability of the spring that comes with the shock, I would suggest, buyer be...WARE! It is easier (and less costly) for a vendor to keep in stock shocks that are already equipped with springs meant for people of "normal" weight. If you consume burgers, bangers, or beer..... your weight may exceed that which is ideal for the spring that comes with your on-line purchased suspension component. It would be ideal to give your business to the local suspension guru, buy from him, and have his shop set your suspension for you.

On the other hand, if you simply ride gracefully and have the skill to match your grace, you can make 'bad' stuff operate (kinda) good. If it's comfort you want, figure out what your best seating position & handlebar choice is, then stick a sheep's wool seat cover on your saddle.

*With suspension, you don't ALWAYS get "what you pay for."

[ This message was edited by: FattRat on 2006-11-25 14:16 ]

·
Registered
679 Posts
If you want serious front suspension have a looka t the Racrtech cartridge emulators.
Here
Front now has racetech0.9 kg springs and I also have the adjustable damping rear Ikons.

darcy

1 - 9 of 9 Posts