Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Upon delivery of my new S3, it was a shock to realise that the front usd suspension units are NOT fully adjustable in the way I had imagined! Likewise, the rear suspension unit is NOT adjustable for preload. The Triumph specs (& even published reviews), do not even hint at this, but continue to suggest that the front and rear units are FULLY adjustable for preload, rebound & compression. This is only a half-truth!

For them to be fully adjustable, each fork SHOULD be adjustable for Preload, Rebound & Compression. Likewise, the rear unit should have a user adjustable collar to enable a single 'c' spanner adjustment (on a click basis, as on my Fireblade).

Triumph have obviously fitted lower internal spec units to save costs. Such a pity, when the bike is excellent in so many other regards.

My feeling: Triumph should come clean on their spec sheet...

:(

·
Premium Member
3,030 Posts
I kind of agree with you on the front forks, it is a bit strange setup to have one of the forks handle compression damping and the other handle rebound. But if there is minimal flex due to the fork bodies being a bit oversized, then what is the harm? You still have fully adjustable front. How would the front be better if you had comp+rebound on both forks?

As for the rear, I do not agree with you at all. The rear preload is well user adjustable and the adjustment lockring system is similar to the basic entry level setup on most other sportsbikes and dirtbikes today. A remote hydraulic adjuster would be nice, but that is an extra $$$ option even on the super high-end shocks. Never seen the Fireblade single lockring adjuster, so can't comment on that one.

Bottom line: you get what you pay for. No high spec items on an entry level priced bike like the S3.

[ This message was edited by: Martin_R on 2006-12-10 03:54 ]

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just to comment on the entry level price:

In South Africa at least the pricing of the S3 is NOT entry-level priced! At ZAR98,500.00 it comes close to Superbike pricing! Compare the list-price of a Kawasaki ZX10 = ZAR99,995.00. With regard to my own '06 Honda CBR1000RR I paid ZAR99,000.00 (a discount of ZAR11,000.00 on the official published list price)

On the issue of the rear suspension preload adjuster: the Manual specifically states:

The rear suspension unit spring pre-load is not rider adjustable... (pg. 86).

On the issue of the front forks: A number of manufacturers are taking this route on their budget models: Compare: Yamaha Fazer 1000 & Kawasaki Z1000. I just think the S3 is in a slightly different
class in that the majority of its spec don't come from the parts bin of other machines!

Finally, yes, I agree "you pays your money and takes your choice." I just wish Triumph would be clear in their specs as to what you are buying!

·
Registered
321 Posts
Front and rear are fully adjustable.

Front: rebound and compression left and right or right and left. Back: compression top and rebound bottom or the other way around. As for pre load the blue things at the top of ya frontforks and the big nuts on top of the big blue spring at the back.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi 203MPH

The Triumph Showa units still remain budget items on a high-listed bike! As one reviewer of the new 1000cc Yammy Fazer remarked concerning the same lack of quality internals on the front gold forks: "All that glitters is not gold"

Check out the Showa units on the CBR1000RR. Far superior! Poor show(a) Triumph!

·
Registered
919 Posts
Lots of comparable bikes have the same fork setup including my old VF750F which was state of the art at the time. I don't think anybody really has a problem with the fork performance. It doesn't have the bragging rights of high end Ohlins etc. but it works well. The rear shock preload IS adjustable, I have no idea why the manual says it is not. It is pretty harsh though no mater how you set it and could be improved. In the US the S3 is definitely priced well under any European competition.

·
Registered
321 Posts
On 2006-12-10 07:24, teologie wrote:
Hi 203MPH

The Triumph Showa units still remain budget items on a high-listed bike! As one reviewer of the new 1000cc Yammy Fazer remarked concerning the same lack of quality internals on the front gold forks: "All that glitters is not gold"

Check out the Showa units on the CBR1000RR. Far superior! Poor show(a) Triumph!
Comparing a (dutch prices converted to dollars) 16375 dollar S3 with a 20600 dollar CBR. That like comparing apples and pears...... Yes, the CBR1000RR has better adjustment of the suspension. But what would you expect from a bike that runs in the WorldSBK and became 2nd.

IMHO the Speed Triple has a good suspension. Easy to adjust. Only downside is,: it's bottoming out with me on it at the tracks.

So if you want a good adjustable bike buy a CBR1000RR.

[edit] See you own a CBR1000RR.

[ This message was edited by: 203MPH on 2006-12-10 13:35 ]

·
Registered
321 Posts
On 2006-12-10 12:01, dr_gallup wrote:
[...]
The rear shock preload IS adjustable, I have no idea why the manual says it is not.
[...]
I've looked it up in the manual (got the dutch version but must be the same):

Warning: The preloadtension of the rear suspension can't be set by the rider. Attempts to change the tension can result in to dangerous handling. This can lead to loss of control and even accidents...
So with all the legal ***** in the US, I think Triumph took the safe way to print it can't be adjusted.

But to gain good access to the preload adjuster you have to remove the rear wheel. You can adjust with the wheel in place but it's easier to do without.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The owners & workshop manual should be called a 'warning manual' obviously it too is subject to EU regulations!!

On a lighter note, the shock is knowingly insufficient (causing everyone's kidney's to suffer). For the price, I think Triumph could and should do better.. and yes, although I own a '06 Blade, NOTHING will replace the joy of the S3.. but then again, I cannot foul mouth myHonda.. its is a magnificent machine!

·
Registered
438 Posts
On 2006-12-10 13:27, 203MPH wrote:
On 2006-12-10 12:01, dr_gallup wrote:
[...]
The rear shock preload IS adjustable, I have no idea why the manual says it is not.
[...]
I've looked it up in the manual (got the dutch version but must be the same):

Warning: The preloadtension of the rear suspension can't be set by the rider. Attempts to change the tension can result in to dangerous handling. This can lead to loss of control and even accidents...
So with all the legal ***** in the US, I think Triumph took the safe way to print it can't be adjusted.

But to gain good access to the preload adjuster you have to remove the rear wheel. You can adjust with the wheel in place but it's easier to do without.
In Performance bikes they told anout 15 years ago that the suspension of a gsxr 750 had such a wide range of adjustment that it could be tuned lethal. Maybe that is the reason Triumph took such a delicate approach. I cannot complain, the S3 has the best suspension of any bike I have owned and beyond my capabilities.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts