Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I set the shocks on my new Rocket Touring at 3. The ride feels harsh. Regardless of number of riders/luggage, which direction would make the ride softer? I'm assuming towards 1.
Second question: What after market shocks have people put on and how did they help?
Thanks.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Good Bet

I read an article recently about replacing stock shocks and fork springs with Hagan's. The difference was quite dramatic. Probably a safe bet it will do the same for your Rocket and I'm pretty sure Hagan makes shocks and springs for your Rocket.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I switched to Hagan Nitors. More adjustability and much better ride. When you order they will match the spring rate to your needs. You can get them longer or shorter than stock if you want.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I believe 1 is the highest (stiffest). I
tried Progressive 412 or 418 which aren't offered now- Progressive recommended them over the 440's because i'm 160 but they bottomed out with 2 up. Do you have the oem touring shocks? They were supposed to be more comfortable than the originals.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
You can tell about the setting numbers just by measuring. The less per load, the longer, the less stiff. My dealer said the shocks came on 1, I said too stiff so he put them on 3.

·
Registered
114 Posts
User Manual

That is very interesting. I checked the manual and it says 1 is for minimum preload and should be used for a single rider which in Triumph land should be about 180 lbs. Then as load increases, the numbers increase with 5 being recommended for a rider, passenger, and luggage. So, you are correct to increase the number if you are heavier becasue that increases the preload which to me means a "stiffer" ride. Obviously it doesn't translate to my logic so if it works, ride it. I come in at about 205 and I moved the setting to 2 and the ride seems better. I know there is a concern about bottoming out if the load is too heavy so maybe that is why you were getting beat up?

·
Registered
563 Posts
People, when you turn the adjusters UP a number, you INCREASE the tension on the spring thereby INCREASING the stiffness! There are little notches that are like "steps" of a stairway. Each "click" UP, goes UP one step. Reversing, you go DOWN a step thereby decreasing pressure on the spring. It's been this way since spring adjusters were invented!

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
If you're 205 and you go 2 up, I wouldn't think 2 would be enough. Have you considered Progressive's replacement for the 440 with hd springs?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Shock Setting

Well, I don't usually ride two up but your right. If I ever do, I would think a higher setting would be in order. I will get around to trying 3 even just for me because I am still experimenting. I have been eyeing up the Hagon Custom Classics II. Everything points to a better handling bike but by the time I'm done with the shocks and springs I'm looking at $500. Just want to be sure I will really notice the difference. I am not an aggressive rider and I only use my bike for pleasure and not a daily driver.

·
Registered
563 Posts
I'm 60+ yrs. old and my other 2 bikes are a '73 Yamaha TX750 and a '77 Bonnie, so riding these is not much more than riding a bike with NO suspension with a seat that's barely more than a plank of wood with some foam rubber on it. The Rocket is a "luxery" to ride (when it's not in the shop). I leave the shocks at setting number 1 for myself and ratchet it up to #3 when riding two up. Sometimes I forget to re-set to 1 and don't really notice a whole lot of difference, but if I DON'T move it up to 3 when adding a passenger, it bottoms out more easily.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Take a look at the Hagon Nitro = more money than Classic but more adjustable.
I just had the Nitros put on yesterday. Questions...How does the damping control effect the ride? I'm not sure what damping does. All I know is I want the ride to be a little softer so which way do I turn the damping control nob? The shocks come with the damping control in the middle of the range.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Damping controls the rate at which teh shcok returns to its normal postion. If the damping rate is low the shock will extend quickly after a bump, if set high it will extend slowly. Tou need to find teh rate that matches your rideing style. Normally a slow rebound rate is a softer ride., but too low and the bike will not handle well as the shock will not be able to react to the next bump in the raod.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts