Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This subject has probably been throroughly hammered to death but I'm going to ask anyway! As most of the Thruxton riders on this forum seem to agree, the suspension on the Thruxton leaves a great deal to be desired. Honestly, it sucks big time. An urgent application of front brake is nearly liable to send you over the handlebars!
So after spending time & money tarting the bike up with lots & lots of polishing, FEK, lowered & stainless steel gauges, Preds/K & Ns etc etc it is now time to attend to more important things i.e. the front & rear suspension.
I've read a few threads about F3's, progressive springs, Ohlins, piggyback shocks etc - so I know this question will cause all kinds of responses because everyone has their opinion, but what the hell, here goes:
What is the best front and rear suspension product/solution and how much does the front fork brace help?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Rear Shockies for Thruxton

Triton

I have recently ordered a set of YSS G series shocks with compression and rebound damping for the rear. They are more costly than Ikon or Hagon but I have been advised that they are good quality unit and are cheaper than Ohlins.

Chris

·
Registered
44 Posts
I installed the Traxxion damper rod kit, emulators and linear springs in my front forks. I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's the best thing I've done for my Thruxton.
I'm waiting for the Thruxton SuperBrace without gators to come on the market.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I installed the Traxxion damper rod kit, emulators and linear springs in my front forks. I've said it before and I'll say it again: It's the best thing I've done for my Thruxton.
I couldn't agree more with the recommendation on the Traxxion Dynamics components. I took my track bike ('08 Thruxton) to their Woodstock Ga. shop in December for the "full meal deal" front end upgrades. Ohlins on the rear, also from Traxxion w/ a +1 spring upgrade (I'm 6'3, 230....not a great physique for spec racing, but if I lose drive I can pick up the bike and run across the finish line...).
Two days later I was up to my eyeballs in a race school/track day weekend at Talladega.
WOW…..I left Traxxion with a baseline set-up and didn't touch it the entire weekend. What I did touch was my knees (both sides) on a VERY cold track surface. Rather effortless I might add!
The Traxxion website has tons of information (www.traxxion.com ), but I'd STRONGLY recommend purchasing the "Suspension for Mortals" two DVD video seminar, which, as they put it, "contains 90% of what 90% of people interested in suspension set-up need to know".

I've spent decades tuning suspensions on lots of bikes but I learned a ton from this video. Don't be put off by the racing focus of the video, what applies there applies very well to spirited street riding.
If I can be of further help just shoot me a note….

-eric

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks everyone for your input - it looks like a pretty common opinion for the front end - I'll do some more research into the Traxxion stuff & get back with any questions. I had only one suggestion for the rear shocks from Chris W - are these easily avail in the US? I think Ohlins are reputed to be the best but they are also VERY expensive too (BC lists the piggyback ones at around $800/pair). Any comments on the Ikons or other alternatives? Lets pout it this way, whatever it is, it has to be better than what's on it right now!:D
Cheers
Steve

·
Registered
507 Posts
$800.00 for Ohlins, you must mean middle of the road non adjustable units. For fully adjustable Ohlins you are looking at $1300.00. In the $800.00-$1200.00 range you could also look at Bitubo, and Penskee. Depending on your weight you could also use the KYB shocks off a Kawasaki ZRX1100 or 1200 $250.00 to $400.00, But like I said you need to be on the bigger side. My FA tips the scales at just over 250lbs in gear and I am on the lowest preload setting. With this I barely have enough sag in the rear, 25mm if I remember correctly.

On a seperate not I can't say enough good things about the guys at Traxxion.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$800.00 for Ohlins, you must mean middle of the road non adjustable units. For fully adjustable Ohlins you are looking at $1300.00. In the $800.00-$1200.00 range you could also look at Bitubo, and Penskee. Depending on your weight you could also use the KYB shocks off a Kawasaki ZRX1100 or 1200 $250.00 to $400.00, But like I said you need to be on the bigger side. My FA tips the scales at just over 250lbs in gear and I am on the lowest preload setting. With this I barely have enough sag in the rear, 25mm if I remember correctly.

On a seperate not I can't say enough good things about the guys at Traxxion.
Yeah what I meant to say was "Starting at $800..." the familiar sales pitch! My big FA tops out somewhere around 215lbs in gear :D

·
Registered
716 Posts
The most bang for your buck shocks

IMHO the most bang for the buck suspension is "WORKS PERFORMANCE" shocks and fork springs. Look at their website. They set up the suspension for your specefic weight, bike and riding style and they are rebuildable. I don't work for Works but I have used their products.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Is this a kit they supply or did you have to send them the forks?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Triton

I have recently ordered a set of YSS G series shocks with compression and rebound damping for the rear. They are more costly than Ikon or Hagon but I have been advised that they are good quality unit and are cheaper than Ohlins.

Chris
I've been in contact with Klaus from YSS USA and he's been very helpful with information & pricing etc for the front end and rear shocks. I'm going to take Leaker's / Matchgrade's / Jhtjon's suggestion and get some info from Traxxion too and make my decision from there. It's an expensive (but necessary) upgrade so I want to make sure I do the right thing!

Cheers all for your input!
Steve
BTW on a separate note, anyone going to or know of any plans for Bike week? Since it's only 120 mi N of me, I'll be making the trip.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Ohlins for Less

Thanks everyone for your input - it looks like a pretty common opinion for the front end - I'll do some more research into the Traxxion stuff & get back with any questions. I had only one suggestion for the rear shocks from Chris W - are these easily avail in the US? I think Ohlins are reputed to be the best but they are also VERY expensive too (BC lists the piggyback ones at around $800/pair). Any comments on the Ikons or other alternatives? Lets pout it this way, whatever it is, it has to be better than what's on it right now!:D
Cheers
Steve
The Ohlins that are being sold for the Thruxton are available for about 200 to 300 less than the popular vendors for Triumph sells them for. That is the 36PL and the 36PRCLB. 14.1 inch length as well as 13.1 are available. Apparently these shocks were developed for HD Sporters use (they are marked with HD1401 on the 36PL)

I do not want to post the site(s) that offer the lower price, but will respond to any PM's.:D

Not that I think that the Ohins are the best value, as they are very pricey. They are good as are the other brands mentioned in this post.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
The Ohlins that are being sold for the Thruxton are available for about 200 to 300 less than the popular vendors for Triumph sells them for. That is the 36PL and the 36PRCLB. 14.1 inch length as well as 13.1 are available. Apparently these shocks were developed for HD Sporters use (they are marked with HD1401 on the 36PL)

I do not want to post the site(s) that offer the lower price, but will respond to any PM's.:D

Not that I think that the Ohins are the best value, as they are very pricey. They are good as are the other brands mentioned in this post.
Shiloh
I checked out the site and they are cheaper but they recommend the 36DRL type for the Thruxton - when I did a search on that type I found another place that sells them cheaper at $756!
All the same they are still expensive!
The YSS shocks & front fork stuff is that price total incl. shipping! I know Ohlins are the best but I'm not intending racing the bike just general street riding so that may influence me to go a little cheaper. Still looking into the Traxxion for the front end too.
Thanks for the info though!

·
Registered
430 Posts
Shiloh
I checked out the site and they are cheaper but they recommend the 36DRL type for the Thruxton - when I did a search on that type I found another place that sells them cheaper at $756!
All the same they are still expensive!
The YSS shocks & front fork stuff is that price total incl. shipping! I know Ohlins are the best but I'm not intending racing the bike just general street riding so that may influence me to go a little cheaper. Still looking into the Traxxion for the front end too.
Thanks for the info though!

Yes, the DRL is the Ohlin shock for Thruxtons, but the PL is a fit also, and was 660 last time I checked them out durng summer 08. At that time, BC, etc wanted 795.

But you are correct, still very expensive. I didn't know about the YSS when I did this, but they would be a very good way to go, and if I was doing it now, would probably be my solution for the rear, with Traxxion for the front.

Set up that way, you won't even think it is the same bike. Incredible improvement and will be the very best money you will ever spend on the bike.

You will be more than pleased.:)

Andy

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I'm bucking the trend here. I've fitted Ikon rear shocks, adjusted the fork spring preload to match the Ikons, fitted a Hyde steering damper and fork brace. That's it, no other work to the forks. The bike handles, steers and rides like a dream. No issues whatsoever on the road or in the fast group on the track.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK, so I settled on the YSS RZ 302-360 TRL rear shocks with chrome springs and Hyperpro progressive fork springs & PD valves - incl. shipping comes to $758 (from epm performance) which is a pretty good price - not top of the range Ohlins maybe but from what I've read it should be a big improvement over what I've got as OEM. Once I have it on the bike and tested it a few times I'll report back with the findings - let's hope it's money well spent!:eek:
One other question - does a fork brace improve handling? Is it worth the $200?
Thanks for all the input!:thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm bucking the trend here. I've fitted Ikon rear shocks, adjusted the fork spring preload to match the Ikons, fitted a Hyde steering damper and fork brace. That's it, no other work to the forks. The bike handles, steers and rides like a dream. No issues whatsoever on the road or in the fast group on the track.

Which Ikons did you get with that setup...Very similar to my plan

1 - 20 of 31 Posts