Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After discussing the prospects of setting up a group buy in the Speed Triple sub-forum, I'm pleased to say that Stoltec Moto has worked out the details with Penske and are now ready to kick this off - for all makes and models. This is not limited to Triumph motorcycles, so gather your friends!

What is eligible for the group buy

Stoltec Moto's homepage is going through some updates, so the Penkse lineup is not yet loaded. In the meantime, please reference Penske's web page.

For those who do not wish to peruse their site, a basic non-inclusive list of what is available follows. Please note that prices listed are MSRP to give you an idea of how the pricing works out from one model to another. Our prices are considerably lower!

Shocks
  • 8975 Double Adjustable (no external reservoir). $695 MSRP.
  • 8983 Double Adjustable Road Race (remote or piggyback reservoir). Adds reservoir and ride height adjustment. $875 MSRP. Add $150 for piggyback reservoir.
  • 8987 Triple Adjustable Road Race (remote or piggyback reservoir). Adds high-speed compression damping. $1195 MSRP. Add $150 for piggyback reservoir.
  • 8900E Single Adjustable emulsion. $625 MSRP

Forks - kits include springs, buffer, seals, and installation
  • Fork Piston Kit. $599 MSRP for winter special, $675 normally.
  • 20 mm Fork Cartridges (Traxxion AK20's). $1195 MSRP.
  • Gas Fork Cartridges (Traxxion AK Gas). $2500 MSRP.
  • Springs, shims, spring buffers, seals, oil, etc. are available

Miscellaneous
  • Shock pre-load bearing kit. $19.95 MSRP.
  • Shock hydraulic spring perch. $185 MSRP.
  • Special Tools
  • Apparel

How the Group Buy will work
Prices CANNOT be posted directly in this thread or anywhere else on this forum. This is Penske policy and violation will result in the group buy being cancelled. Additionally, Stoltec Moto stands a good chance of losing dealer rights. So PLEASE, do not discuss pricing in this thread. All pricing is to be relayed with me via PM.

OK, so with that disclaimer aside, we have some options on how to execute this group buy. We need to meet a minimum purchase requirement to get the pricing I've laid out (not in this thread, obviously). There are two potential paths forward:

1. IF we can gather enough interest to place an order by the end of the year (12/31/2011), we can get in on Penske's fork special (Fork piston kit - MSRP is reduced during month of December).
  2. If we don't have enough interested parties, we will extend the group buy into January.

As of today, I'm tentatively planning to let this group buy run for one month. We can readjust this as required, but this gives those interested some time to decide on models, gather funds, and plan their tear-down schedules. So to be clear, this means the last day of the group buy would be Wednesday January 11, 2012.

I'll add to the 'interested parties' list (below) and will let everyone know when we reach our minimum buy requirement. At that point, payment will be collected and the order will be placed. The time to fill the order will vary based on Penske's workload and the size of this group buy. However, their estimate as of today is ~2 weeks.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Using this thread to list those signed up for the group buy:

Interested Parties

1. 1-3-2-4 (Paid)
  2. bikelee (Payment Pending)
  3. gsx97
  4. mznyc
Also, to those who are on the fence, the FPK winter special is a go! We have enough interest/buy-in to place the order. Please note that if you want to take advantage of the winter special, payment is due by 12/30/2011 due to the holiday.

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
UPDATE:

Interested Parties
  1. 1-3-2-4 (Paid)
  2. bikelee (Paid)
  3. gsx97 (Paid)
  4. mznyc

To update my earlier thread, the forks special orders need to be placed no later than 12/29 with Penske. As such, payment is due earlier.

Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Reminder to those who have expressed interest in the FPK Winter Special: your order must be placed with Stoltec Moto by 12:00PM EST on 12/29/2011. In order to qualify for the special, we must place our order with Penske by close of business.

Also, there have a been a lot of questions via PM...some of them repeats. As such, here are some FAQ's:

Q: I am too far away to justify shipping my forks. Are the parts available for installation on my own?
A: Of course. All fork products will ship with pistons/cartridges, springs, buffer, seals, and oil. You handle installation on your end.

Q: You list a piggyback reservoir option. Do I need this?
A: Depends. If your stock shock has a remote reservoir, you can replace with the same style. If not, and you cannot mount the reservoir easily, a piggyback may be your only solution. Don't forget to measure clearance.

Q: How much ride height adjustment will I get (out of the 8983 and 8987)?
A: The shock has an adjustment range of almost one inch (+/- 12 mm). However, the actual adjustment on the bike will vary from model to model based on linkage design and swingarm length.

Q: I'm interested in [insert model], but I change bikes regularly. What is the best bang for my buck?
A: This is a personal preference question and is hard to say. Ultimately, most people select the model based on their budget and how the bike will be used. However, because Penske shocks are 'modular', most shocks can be modified to suit several applications. The cost to modify will vary based on the changes between applications (mounting points, shock body length, spring rate, damping, etc.). The important thing to know is that options do exist.

And this last point wasn't a question per se, but rather came up during a conversation. All Penske shocks are rebuildable. Whether you're racing or street riding, the parts can be purchased separately to restore the shock. This service can be completed by Stoltec Moto, direct with Penske, or in some cases, the end user.

·
Registered
211 Posts
The fork parts say for Inverted forks which our bikes don't have so what exactly would we be getting? Also Will the shock fit a 2008 1050? There is no info listed in this thread at all as to what any of this stuff fits. I am interested in suspension for my 2008.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Although the Sprint doesn't have inverted forks, many other Triumph models do. In your case (assuming you're referring to your 2008 ST), other options exist. And yes, there is a shock for your application. I'm sending a PM now...

The reason "there is no info listed in this thread at all as to what any of this stuff fits" is because Penske's offerings cover a wide array of bikes. As mentioned in the original post, this is not only for Triumph motorcycles, let alone one model. A shock is a shock is a shock. Same with forks. Aside from a few different configurations, there aren't many variations. As such, nearly all bikes are covered by the product lineup.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: Penske is allowing us to extend the winter forks special a bit longer. The deadline for payments is back to 12/31/11. Sorry for the changes, but this should give a few people more time to figure things out.

Thanks,
Nick

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update...

Interested Parties
  1. 1-3-2-4 (Paid)
  2. bikelee (Paid)
  3. gsx97 (Paid)
  4. mznyc
  5. tealetm (Paid)

Reminder...if you want the winter fork special, payment needs to be posted by tomorrow.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Updated list:

Interested Parties
  1. 1-3-2-4 (Paid)
  2. bikelee (Paid)
  3. gsx97 (Paid)
  4. mznyc
  5. tealetm (Paid)
  6. ohfugit (Payment Pending)