Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So with Ikon progressive springs and Thruxton preload adjusters up front and the stock shocks in the back, I've been spending a lot of time recently adjusting my shocks. I'll be changing out the rear shocks and probably lightening up the oil up front (currently 15W, and it's too much), but I've felt like it's *pretty good* right now, good enough to get by until I get those new shocks on the back.

I went on a ride Sunday and it felt really bad - I was thinking, "I thought I had these tuned in better than this" and was really annoyed. The whole ride I was getting more frustrated at how badly she was riding, how harsh everything felt. Knowing that I'm planning on redoing it I wasn't too worried, but it did seem strange that it was so much worse.

Well, this morning as I was leaving the garage I thought, I don't really remember the last time I checked tire pressure. So I grabbed the pump and discovered both the front and rear tires were 4 psi low (28 front, 32 rear). I pumped her back up where I like it (about 34 front, 38 rear), and the ride this morning was much, much better.

So the point? Remember to check the little things before you start blaming the big things! I was so caught up in suspension tuning that I forgot about tire pressure!

·
30,533 Posts
All too easily done - left too long your tires can get scallopped (cupped) which naffs the handling up as well. Definitely worth keeping an eye on.

Hmm - a fork oil change might be on the cards for this weekend, along with some preload adjustments, now that the jetting is all sorted out. Thanks for the reminder! :D

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
I also went from 10w to 15w fork oil (with Progressive fork springs) amd think I'll do the switch back to 10w. She's fine until the road goes to lots of patchwork, then I notice she isn't as compliant as I'd like. She's tuned for California .... I need to retune for Sweet Home Ohio.

Bob

·
Registered
740 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good to know - we're riding to Ohio for VMD and it's good to know your roads are no better than ours...

I also went from 10w to 15w fork oil (with Progressive fork springs) amd think I'll do the switch back to 10w. She's fine until the road goes to lots of patchwork, then I notice she isn't as compliant as I'd like. She's tuned for California .... I need to retune for Sweet Home Ohio.

Bob

·
30,533 Posts
Bumps aplenty for 5 days! :D maybe I'll leave 10W in until after the Ohio trip after all.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
When playing with the suspension you might want to play with your tire pressures as well. I was playing with mine, and found that with my fat butt on the bike it wanted a good bit more pressure than the factory recomendation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts