Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed after 10k miles, my handling was getting worse, so I checked my front and rear sag. Whoa! I found my rear sag to be 44mm. I adjusted shock preload and set it at 30mm . I also had to stiffen the front fork preload and set it at 35mm.--about 2 lines. My freakin' speedy rides stellar now! I only do road riding. Of course, I gained 20 pounds too which may have been the culprit.

So, my magic sag numbers are:

Front: 35mm
Rear: 30mm

How do you like yours?

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ohlins Rear: 35mm
Front: 30mm, Just checked the front sag yesterday, Seems Ok.
Mine get set to 30/30mm when I do it. I also have a 10mm shortened doglink and usually set the front fork tubes about 6mm out of the top-clamp. Basically, I tip the bike way foreward to make it turn a bit faster, generally it rips left to right transitions faster then a stock Daytona or S3, but I pay for it with stability, it does get twitchy under throttle.

Mine is hanging off a cherry picker while I wait for more fork parts and springs. I don't feel like dropping 20lbs so the rear is to soft and the fronts were just worn out. I'm guessing that the racetechs I put in have around 60,000 miles on them and they were starting to bog. I thought my rebound was out of whack till I realized it wasn't packing just wasn't springing back out :D

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
305 Posts
Us T100 are so tough, we dont need no sag on our bikes - we'd have rigid frame if Triumph still built bikes that way :D

·
Registered
201 Posts
...I changed it to 35/35 even. I wanted it a tad more stable. It is still very compliant for street with those numbers.

I found a super sweet article regarding dialing in your suspension:
http://aprilia.rsvmille.home.comcast.net/~aprilia.rsvmille/bikes/suspension_guide.htm#TANKSLAPPER

It is a sweet basic guide. I take curved onramps at 10mph faster with the same confidence level now. I hit those 25mph ramps at 50-55 without even pushing it.

I was wondering.

The way I learned it the front should NEVER have less sag in the front then the rear on any bike with sportbike geometry. The bikes are designed with a fairly heavy front-end bias that affects both tip in and behavior at a lean. This is also how I know when my rear shock is gone, generally it starts running wide on me because the rear is to soft.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Us T100 are so tough, we dont need no sag on our bikes - we'd have rigid frame if Triumph still built bikes that way :D

There are a couple custom shops that DO make rigids for the new Triumph :D I'm scanning around locally looking for a wrecked bonnie or truxton for a donor so I can build an old school rigid.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I have been toying with the idea of making a rigid frame chopper, with a 19" front and 16" rear, single springer seat and ape hanger bars (swept back) and a tear drop tank.

What I'd also like to do is make it low to the ground and use a BSA Bantam 175cc engine.

I've also toyed with the idea of dropping the seat down to about the level of the rear engine mounting bracket and having the top of the cylinder head come up through the centre of the tank (so the tank is in two halves with twin top tubes. Move foot pegs forward harley style.

Kind of like joke bike for those that build those 1200cc hundred thousand dollar custom choppers.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I have been toying with the idea of making a rigid frame chopper, with a 19" front and 16" rear, single springer seat and ape hanger bars (swept back) and a tear drop tank.

What I'd also like to do is make it low to the ground and use a BSA Bantam 175cc engine.

I've also toyed with the idea of dropping the seat down to about the level of the rear engine mounting bracket and having the top of the cylinder head come up through the centre of the tank (so the tank is in two halves with twin top tubes. Move foot pegs forward harley style.

Kind of like joke bike for those that build those 1200cc hundred thousand dollar custom choppers.
My idea was more late 70s sans the king/queen seat. Six out four 4 maybe 12" over with a springer at 46* rake and a bitch bar as tall as me. If I find the right bike, I had one that I got for 1200 bucks, but I was moving and someone offered me more for it so that went out the window so to speak.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts