Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought it would be interesting to find out how much you guys really ride your vintage Triumphs, although they are beautiful just to look at.

I've ridden mine (1970 TR6R) so far this year only 600 miles, but to be fair, I bought it in June, and I have been riding it gently (and not on longer trips) b/c it has a rebuilt engine that I've been breaking in carefully. Ideally, I'm hoping to log a lot more miles (2,000 minimum) next year.

So, how many miles a year on average, how about longer trips - how far, how fast do you ride your baby - cruising speed wise, do you keep a close eye on the tach in terms of not over revving her, and does yours use any oil when you're out on the freeway?

·
Registered
810 Posts
My 59 sat for 20 years. I purchased it in 1999. In my spare time and at $5 a week budget, I got it running in 2004. So for 25 years it was ridden zero miles. With no speedo or tach, I can say I've ridden it nearly every day from May To Nov, Two or three trips to the store, taking the long way. Trips of 40 to 75 miles round at least once a week. From comparing my riding habits to the day I had a odo, I would say 2000 miles a year average, from the last 5 riding season. I do not push the rpm, and shift by ear. I only ride as fast as I can untill my eyes water(around 60mph). If you want to hear how the bike rides visit user "trimphbsa" on you tube. Check out 'runnin through the gears, 1959 triumph in action and Lucas tailight view, Eat my dust(amoung others). That's right, I spelled triumph wrong when I registered. trimphbsa

·
Registered
106 Posts
After sitting in my woodshed for 31 years, and a 2 year rebuilding process, I put the 67 Bonnie back on the road in late June of this year. I had put around 700 miles on it prior to sending my speedometer out for a rebuild. Add approximately 2 or 3 hundred more up until our friends in Canada sent the ice box down. Hope to get a bit more riding in next year.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Almost forgot. Shift by sound and feel, but also keep an eye on the tach. 4000 rpm is about as high as I rev it, and 55 mph seems fast enough these days.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I did 4500 miles the first year I owned my Tiger. Then my speedo crapped out so I don't know how many more I did in year 2. My longest trip was 170 miles in one day (Burbank to Dana Point and back via PCH). Cruising speed 50-65 mph depending on where I was. Used almost all the oil in the engine somehow. I still don't know if it leaked, burned off or both but it seemed to hold oil just fine after that trip.

Now I have a second bike and only ride the Tiger once a week.

·
Registered
221 Posts
i have had my 1968 tr6 trophy for 12 weeks and have clocked up 6,238 miles all along the east coast of australia,,,,try to sit at around 50 to 60 mph and i back the gas of about every 5 minnits for a few secends,,,, i top up the oil every morning and chek it EVERY TIME i stop .. at 50 mph in forth gear 3,400 rpm this is the sweet spot for my bike give the old girl some gas and she pulls like a race horse,,,,, im verry happy with this bike and intend to keep her with me for the rest of my days ,,,,,,,,,, albert the tiprat

·
Registered
563 Posts
I seem to average near 1K mi. per season. When I was awaiting delivery of my 05 Rocket, I had no other bike but the 77 (I had sold my 96 T'Bird in anticipation of the RIII) and it got me everywhere I needed it to get me. Since then I've taken it easy on her. I try to ride it nearly every day but only for a short jaunt through the park or other "local" areas. Long trips seem to really do it in. i always learn to "regret" having pushed it! I believe it will do @ 50mph all day, but more than that and I ask for "trouble". She's not what she used to be, but still good enough to be around!

·
Super Moderator
12,730 Posts
Anywhere from 5 miles a year to 500 miles a year, EACH BIKE.

I've got 4 street-legal old Bonnies, and 4 more not registered, plus 2 non-registered Tridents.

I do, however, have a real nice '75 Norton that I trust to go cross-country with. I haven't really tried that on any of my Triumphs because none of them are set up for long rides (un-comfy seats, wide handlebars, no blinkers, etc.)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Miles & Miles & Miles

I rode my '73 Bonni ~15K per year until this year with lots of red line shifting and cruising at ~75MPH.

Now that I have a S4 that will get its fair share of miles and my T150 should come on line this winter, so the total miles ridden will remain the same, just divided between the bikes.

·
Registered
95 Posts
T140D done just short of 70,000 miles, i've done 65,000 of those in 20 years as every day transport, until i got the Thunderbird, 10 years ago, now i just use her for going to work and Sunday rideouts.
Works about a 20 mile round trip.

·
Registered
127 Posts
ride the vintage bike

since I bought a brandy-new Bonneville America this spring, I only put 50 miles (maybe) on the 750 Bonnie.
In the preceding 4 years, since I bought it though, I usually put about 3500 miles a season on it.
Still find the old girl has more fun-factor than the new one, though.

·
Registered
810 Posts
GPZ Yeah, my ears get a work out. I've got distorted customized earrings and a slickshifter hangin off 'em.

If you decide to ride that Norton across the U.S. you're invited to stop in,Beavercreek, Ohio; camp in the backyard if you don't want to use the guest room. My guess is your Norton has one carb, since the four 2carb Bonnies aren't as trusting for cross country. I bet durring this survey, we will read more mileage from owners of single carb Brit bikes, Like TipRat's report. Just thought I'd spice it up a bit. No offense to the Bonnie owners, they have my respect for their determination to keep the carbs balanced. By the way, I wonder how many miles in reverse are collectively covered, when revving our motors while on the center stand. WHEW, this is going to be a long Winter!!!

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Each of the 66's 300-500 miles; maybe 1,000/yr on the '68 - it's my favorite. The new Bonnies are ridden an aggregate total of 3,000 miles/year. If I was going to only have two bikes to ride, it would be the '68 and the 2009 50th Anniversary T100 - the EFI is actually quite nice.

Dick

·
Registered
85 Posts
I put about 1000 (non imaginary) miles on my 72 TR6C since I got it in the middle of this past June. For the first month or so it was a little slow going with figuring out all the little quirks of a used triumph. Especially as a first bike.

Once I got it fairly dialed in and got some confidence riding it, it was game on though. I'm pretty sure I broke even on hours spent working on it versus hours spent riding it. :)

Haven't been riding it to and from work as much the last month or so. It's been cold and it gets dark early. I don't trust a lot of the meatheads on the dark highway I ride home.

Better to just ride it on the sunny days off and keep it maintained for now (isn't there always something?).

I love my bike and I'm looking forward to spring already. :D

·
Registered
133 Posts
Yearly mileage

I've had both of my bikes a little over 1 year and put about 400 miles total on them. It seems my lower back just can't take more than 10-20 miles at a time. I love every mile I do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
GOODAY FROM OZ, i'm ken and new to the forums but have been visiting for a while,my first triumph a 71-650 tiger used everyday almost ,7200 miles in one year including a trip every year to the BATHURST bike races from BRISBANE , about 600 miles each way
the trip included open inland main roads that i used to sit on about 5,000 rpm -80 mph for hours at a time , i should have had a oil cooler because on the 3rd trip down a valve guide started coming out of the head ,but trying to keep up with bigger capacity jap bikes caused the problem, the bike had a breadbox tank and i got up to 200 miles out of a tank ,i'm working on putting together a 6t preunit
with 750 internals at the moment but it will be a rigid so i don't think i will be doing many miles at one time on it

1 - 20 of 34 Posts