Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's nice to be able to take a day trip down to the shore in summer but it's too rough to put my lady on the back of the Sprint RS and ride for 2 hours each way. So I bought the Trophy 1200 for this kind of ride but the excess heat, posture, and suspension make us tired by the time we get there. Meanwhile my buddy takes his wife on his Thunderbird and they're out adventuring while we're napping under a tree recovering.

So I wanted to get some feedback from other members on what they thought was the best Triumph for 2-up travelling in the summertime.

·
Premium Member
2,255 Posts
If you don't like your Sprint, I doubt you will find something in the Triumph line that suits you better. However, it might just be your Sprint's suspension. I upgraded my suspension with a fork swap and custom Elka shock. Even though I stiffened the springs at both ends considerably, my wife finds the 2-up ride much more comfortable. I also find the bike easier for the rider because the improved handling takes less effort. If you are interested, information on my suspension upgrades is here: http://www.triumphrat.net/sprint-forum/102102-the-definitive-usd-fork-conversion-for-sprints-thread-42.html#post1698952.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
IMHO, the best Triumph for 2-up travelling (and long distance touring) in the summertime is the Tiger 955i. It cannot be beaten!!!! Ask my wife, she will agree wholeheartedly. 950 kms in a day and still fresh as a daisy!

H

·
0 Posts
I had a TR whilst I lived in Seattle. Upon making any type of left hand turn the engine died. When you felt it going you pushed in the clutch, coasted around what ever corner it was, straightened the wheel out and let out the clutch for a glorious ride to the next left hander.
I have come to really like the ST 1050 for 2 up. Longest we have done so far is 700 in one day and no complaints. Aiming for a trip to Boulder, Co this Oct of 1038 miles in one day. Did learn that gel pads get really hot if you don't cover them when eating lunch.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts