Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afternoon everyone, I am a young rider. 16 to be exact. I have been on a moped (50cc) unrestricted - Sym Symply since October. I have came to the conclusion that I am indeed addicted to motorbikes and I can't stop thinking about them. Soon I am to get a job, hopefully going to save up couple of p's to buy myself a nice little bike to when i turn 17. I am writing to you out here, to ask you about your opinions on the most common 50cc supermotos out there. I understand that there are many however I just want to know if any of you have had one and could give me your review. I was looking into Rieju MRT 50 or a nice little Derbi. They are a bit pricey for new, therefore I am willing to get it second hand. If you could also let me know what are the common problems with it and what to look at when buying one in August time.

Now one last thing, I want it 50cc as insurance prices for a learner are around £500 whereas on a 125cc they are over £1,200. I am to buy a motorbike for max of £1,500 nothing more. I would buy a kit if 50mph (which is what they are capable of, if I did my research right) was not enough for me, I have no problem with fitting it as I am a geek and I love to work with bikes :)

I know that moped is completely different, and I am going to redo my CBT on to a geared bike, just so I am sure I am capable and won't make danger on the road :)
Any comment would be appreciated.

Derbi GPR
Rieju MRT

·
Registered
470 Posts
Get that Rieju jobby thing, I don't have a clue about cost or reliability of these bikes it just looks better with the red spokey dokey wheels:p

·
Premium Member
772 Posts
I dont know anything about 50cc bikes but 1200 pounds (I'm assuming thats what the funny looking L is) for insurance! Thats north of $1500, is that normal? I could have two speeding tickets and throw in a DUI and I wouldnt pay anywhere near $1500, why is insurance so high there?

·
Registered
751 Posts
Nice to see young people still interested in bikes, you're welcome on the forum but I don't think there'll be many people with recent experience of 50cc bikes on here, most of us are much too old.👴
My first 50cc bike was in off-road style trail bike, tried to do my own 2-stroke port job with a file, I did succeed in making it a lot faster but at the expense of reliability.
There's probably more relevant information on YouTube or maybe other more general bike forums, and remember if you do de-restrict it it would probably invalidate your 50cc insurance, they're unlikely to find out but it's just a thought.
There's a lot of things I miss about being 16 but insurance costs aren't one of them.
My vote goes to the Rieju as well, well that depends if it's easiest to derestrict, remember you'll want to be able to restrict the again if you need to sell it, although that depends who you're selling it too.

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
I saw a whole club of people riding around on Honda Monkeys the other day. It looked like they were having a blast.

Apparently, you can even get a supercharger for it:

·
Registered
470 Posts
I dont know anything about 50cc bikes but 1200 pounds (I'm assuming thats what the funny looking L is) for insurance! Thats north of $1500, is that normal? I could have two speeding tickets and throw in a DUI and I wouldnt pay anywhere near $1500, why is insurance so high there?
Yep that funny looking 'L' is £'s. Insurance costs in the UK are crazy for young people these days, if I had to pay that sort of money to insure a 125 I really would have to question my sanity. We've got a lad at work who 2 years ago got a brand new Honda cb 125 thingy on finance which is costing him over £100 a month to pay off for 3 years plus he has to pay another £100 a month to insure, we all told him he was mad when he did it but he wouldn't listen. When I started riding in the early '80's motorcycling was very cheap transport but in the UK those days have long gone.

·
Registered
470 Posts
It is good to see younger riders getting on the road but there are far cheaper used bikes out there. If this were me I would pick up a used 50cc for a couple of hundred quid, doesn't really matter what it is, just something to get through a test. I bought a 2011 Lexmoto 125 for £250 last summer for my 17 year old son to learn on, it needed a few cheap repairs and a rear tyre but it is purely a bike to learn on and it doesn't matter if he drops it a few times in the process. After he's done his test he can spend real money on a decent sized machine.

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
My nephew has a Derbi sports moped , well used not too reliable capable of 65 mph ( GPS speedo ) told him to keep it below 35 if anybody is watching . I had a Sachs Mad Ass 50 ( well it said 50 on the barrel after I ground the 1 off ) and got pulled at 40 in a 40 limit , was ok once I took my helmet off and they realised I was waaayyy past 16 .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts