Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I use by Speed 3 for some part time 1/4 mile runs just for fun and was wondering if anyone has fitted any forced induction?

Initialy I was looking at a turbo'd set up but really want to keep the standard exhausts for the noise and am warming to supercharging. There is plenty of room for a turbo on a custom manifold at the front of the engine well clear of the front wheel but charging looks more involved.

Anyone been down this route?:)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Sorry no experince but am a big fan of the idea....

Maybe a bump will help!

Good Luck.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I thought about GAS but understood charging to be more effective and cheaper longer term, and hell I like the noise!

So in summary no-one has done this before then?

Look and learn lads, look and learn! (how to Chernobyl a perfectly good engine!)

·
Registered
826 Posts
in this case i dont mind a t3 engine getting trashed, so long as it gets a good 1/4 mile time first!
go kick some jap ass!

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
John Wilcox Competition Engines used to have a picture of a supercharged 1200 engine. Unfortunately they no longer have it on their site (and I can't find it in my electrical bin).
Also, I had contacted them a year or so ago (for something can't remember) and was told they no longer work on the Triumph engines. If someone else wants to dig around there:
http://www.wilcoxengines.co.uk/

·
Premium Member
3,677 Posts
John Wilcox Competition Engines used to have a picture of a supercharged 1200 engine. Unfortunately they no longer have it on their site (and I can't find it in my electrical bin).
Also, I had contacted them a year or so ago (for something can't remember) and was told they no longer work on the Triumph engines. If someone else wants to dig around there:
http://www.wilcoxengines.co.uk/
I was told the same when trying to get some cams...last year ?

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Not to discourage anyone from supercharging a T3, but for what it would cost you could probably come out a good deal cheaper buying a 955cc triple & getting it turboed. Turbo Connection in the US & Race Comp in Oz both make kits for the injected bikes.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
I have owned a TT600 but never a 955 (and I'm not bashing them in my next statement)
I'd rather pay the the king's ransom to keep the classic lines the T3 has. I've found a home on this model and am quite comfortable.
That said I'm still working my "Franken" bike because our frames weigh +/- 65 pounds heavier than a 955. Boy, a Spondon frame whould be IT but I think the 955 could be made to work too (with a bit of massaging). I'm still visualizing how to keep the T3 top of the tank and fit it in a 955 frame.
I've still wondered how much more can be squeezed out of the 1200 by converting to EFI....

·
Premium Member
414 Posts
Ok, it took me days of searching but I found the pics of the Wilcox supercharged 1200 engine.

Sorry they're small but that's all there is. Unfortunately, I have no further data either... like where to get lower compression pistons, modfied crank/cover, etc. Man, that had to be one strong engine!

·
Registered
282 Posts
The ultimate supercharged Triumph engine would have to have been the Triumph based - Puma-built mill that Jay Upton used to run in his Top Fuel bike here in Australia. Unfortunately he now uses a Honda-based engine and runs quicker and more reliably, but his full-bodied bike is a sight to behold and hear if you ever have the chance to witness it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-AYCHWAEfXU

1 - 13 of 13 Posts