Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning I made the first trip to work on the T100 after installing the fork gaiters, Superbrace and handlebar risers.
WHAT a difference!
I can't recall another single mod to a bike I've done over the years that has made such a significant improvement in the handling.
Specifically; The bike had a vague, "twitchy" feel to the front end that did NOT inspire confidence. After 5 months on a 2008 Harley FLSTSB "Crossbones", a bike nearly 300 pounds heavier, the change in "feel" was NOT pleasant!
Today, I was able to set the NB "cruise control", take both hands off the bars and sit back at 60 mph while the bike tracked like an arrow!
Proposed: Get legislation through to make it illegal for Triumph dealers to sell a bike without a Superbrace installed! :)
Brent at NB had advised me to try the fork brace first, and then, only if I still thought I needed it, install the steering damper.
That was GOOD advice! The damper will be going back!
On the handlebar risers: Though they are advertised as not requiring any longer cabling, hoses, etc, I find that the front brake hose is just short enough to require the handlebars to be rolled forward further than I would like to avoid overstressing the hose, and this pretty much defeats my desired purpose in getting the risers.
So, I will be seeking a braided stainless hose, about 1.5" longer than stock.
Bottom line: If you haven't tried a Superbrace on your bike, there is no way I could describe the improvement adequately to get you to pony up for one.
If you HAVE tried a bike with the Superbrace installed; no explanation is necessary!
Bob

·
Registered
4,724 Posts
Bottom line: If you haven't tried a Superbrace on your bike, there is no way I could describe the improvement adequately to get you to pony up for one.
After many months of deliberation, I had about decided I could live without a Superbrace. Now I'm right back to square one... black or polished? Thanks a lot Bob. :cool:

·
Registered
164 Posts
Here's another endorsement for you: I ordered one and thought I had ordered black, which was what I wanted-got the polished one instead. I decided not to take the time to send it back for the black and can't imagine riding without it now.

Now, I may paint the thing, since I've been doing so much lately.

Question: did you guys loosen the pinch bolt before installing? I'm wondering the point of it.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Superbrace installation

Sito,
Short answer: Yes.
I installed the gaiters at the same time, so I had the axle nut and pinch bolt still loose.
IIRC, the Superbrace instruction sequence tells you to loosen the pinchbolt (and axle nut?), install the Superbrace, tighten it's bolts to 10 in/lb., and then tighten the axle nut and pinch bolt.
That's the way I did it, and it seems to work just fine.
Bob
Here's another endorsement for you: I ordered one and thought I had ordered black, which was what I wanted-got the polished one instead. I decided not to take the time to send it back for the black and can't imagine riding without it now.

Now, I may paint the thing, since I've been doing so much lately.

Question: did you guys loosen the pinch bolt before installing? I'm wondering the point of it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
bmwbob,

Thanks for the nice words! We work hard to provide high quality, American made products and comments like yours reminds why we work 6-7 days a week!

Also, we’ve recently updated our website and added a photo gallery! We'd love to add your comments & Triumph to it: www.superbrace.com/photogallery.
We need more Triumph love!!!

Ride safe and thanks for the support,

SuperBrace -

1 - 5 of 5 Posts