Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

41 - 60 of 224 Posts

·
Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #41 (Edited)
confirmed numbers

i have called triumph of america. and there rep "james" told me from there production list there were 512 super 111's made from 94 to 96. with a 50 50 spilt to the us and uk, he also said that there are a lot of knock offs being sold now days, , the carbon fiber parts were mass produced and the left overs sold, something allong the lines of enough for 4000 bikes, which was how many super 111's they had planed on making till cosworth droped the program. also he said to really look one over before buying, the title will say super 111 not daytona, and the vin on the motor has the cosworth code on it.. so watch out for people selling fakes. hope this helps any one looking to get one, .

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
VIN info:

SMT372DD*R TRIUMPH DAYTONA SUPER III 1994
SMT372DD*S TRIUMPH DAYTONA SUPER III 1995
SMT372DD*T TRIUMPH DAYTONA SUPER III 1996

FWIW, I have never seen a counterfeit Super III so far. VINs are too easy to look-up.

·
Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
that is true but to the novice buyer, who would not know the title will say super 111 and not daytona, as they are a daytona super 111, it would be easy to rip them off
VIN info:

FWIW, I have never seen a counterfeit Super III so far. VINs are too easy to look-up.

·
Registered
175 Posts
VIN info:

You mean other than the one listed for sale in Canada on the previous page of this thread? VIN # SMT370...comes up as a regular Daytona 900??

BTW, does anyone know what code to look for on the engine?

Later,
Wally

·
Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
this thread is off topic

this thread is really getting off key its not for debating on facts of the super 111, its a oweners reg.

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
You mean other than the one listed for sale in Canada on the previous page of this thread? VIN # SMT370...comes up as a regular Daytona 900??
According the Canadian gumint's list of High Risk Motorcycles (whatever that means) -

SMT370DD*R = TRIUMPH DAYTONA 900 1994

I guess I have seen one now :)

·
Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
beware this is not a super 111.

this is someone trying to rip people off
If anyone is interested, I have a 1994 Super III that I have decided to sell. The bike is located in Edmonton, Alberta. Just listed on www.kijiji.ca in Edmonton. 10,000 km in mint condition. $9500 Cnd or $7700 usd. Serial number SMT370DD4RJ012117. Email for further information at [email protected]

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Check your facts a little further

this is someone trying to rip people off
First off, I will apologize for distorting the thread, as I simply wanted to include the VIN for others to reference if this indeed is a registry start-up. Unfortunately, it appears to have unleashed a sh*tstorm of controversy. For the record, I have owned Triumphs since 1968 and I certainly wouldn't try to flog one that wasn't what it really was, nor would I go to the expense of making a fake. I have owned this bike since 2000, when I bought it from the original owner here in Canada. For the record, the engine stamping is D012255. The only thing changed have been tires and fork seals. Since being accused of being a rip-off artist, I have contacted my Edmonton Triumph dealer, Echo Cycle, who services the bike, who in turn contacted Chris Ellis at Triumph Motorcyles, and guess what? It's a Super III! Your identification service has incorrect or incomplete data. Send me an email at [email protected] , and I'll attach his email response showing country and date of origin from Triumph.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Hmmm...

I will let this first-post ad slide, as it's obviously someone whose wife has told him to sell his ride rather than someone actually trying to sell his bike. ;)

Cheers,
-Kit
You saw right through my logic. Actually, bike prices are much higher in Canada than in the U.S.:D

·
Premium Member
487 Posts
You saw right through my logic.
This tactic works pretty well usually, I have tried it several times. To my surprise someone bought one once :eek: as I had it priced about right, only a tad high, for clean condition it was in.

This thread hasn't drifted all that much worse than the D1200SE registry.

Back to Super III registry:

I've always wondered if the Cosworth thing was more of an endor$ement deal than anything material. I still don't know anything for sure, but I did find a 95 Triumph sales brochure that said verbatim:

"...compression ratio is raised to 12:1 with redesigned head and ports, and a different profile camshaft..."

Cosworth Engineering have developed the key engine components in conjunction with Triumph"

I think I could not find this difference with BB part numbers the same as the Daytona 900. Wondering.:confused:

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
My understanding is that the original tooling for the motors was wearing out by '94, so Triumph worked with Cosworth to redesign the head & made new tooling for that head. The first bikes to use the new head were high-zoot specials with performance cams & lots of carbon fiber, AKA Super IIIs.

The cams, carbon, & compression stayed with the Super III, but the new head was deployed throughout the range before Triumph Motorcycles started selling bikes in the US.

Edit: looking at the good ol' Bike Bandit fiche, there's a part that might even tell us when it happened...

4- BOLT, CYLINDER HEAD SERIAL NUMBER 11851 AND BELOW - 3 CYL
4- CYLINDER HEAD BOLT, COSWORTH SERIAL NUMBER 11852 AND HIGHER - 3 CYL

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
175 Posts
dphex: Yes this thread got way off the registry idea, but that was bound to happen. It seems like if you really wanted to do a registry for these bikes, one would either need to buy/get a sticky with a note saying "post up your info and a picture and NO REPLIES" or start an actual registry off this site altogether.

Super III: It would be very intersting for us to know what Triumph said to you. Previously, it was stated by "James" at Triumph that there were 512 of them, but was he going off how many bikes had the Super III VIN SMT372...? Then there's this whole other slew of Super IIIs like yours with the regular 900 Daytona VIN code SMT370...?

I'm going to look at one on Sunday that is local to me. This news about Super IIIs bike being legit is a little disturbing because if the VIN isn't specific, there's NO WAY to tell if they're real or not. It sounds to me like there's a real problem here, the 4th through 6th character in any road vehicles VIN is the model identifier so how can a SMT370 and a SMT372 be the same model??

AAHHHHH!!

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
dphex: Yes this thread got way off the registry idea, but that was bound to happen. It seems like if you really wanted to do a registry for these bikes, one would either need to buy/get a sticky with a note saying "post up your info and a picture and NO REPLIES" or start an actual registry off this site altogether.

Super III: It would be very intersting for us to know what Triumph said to you. Previously, it was stated by "James" at Triumph that there were 512 of them, but was he going off how many bikes had the Super III VIN SMT372...? Then there's this whole other slew of Super IIIs like yours with the regular 900 Daytona VIN code SMT370...?

I'm going to look at one on Sunday that is local to me. This news about Super IIIs bike being legit is a little disturbing because if the VIN isn't specific, there's NO WAY to tell if they're real or not. It sounds to me like there's a real problem here, the 4th through 6th character in any road vehicles VIN is the model identifier so how can a SMT370 and a SMT372 be the same model??

AAHHHHH!!
Subsequent to my VIN inquiry, I have requested build numbers from Chris Ellis, head of Triumph Canada. As soon as I hear back I will post it. 370 and 372 could be a Canada and U.S. thing. I'm a Porsche owner, and their serial numbers do similar things regarding U.S. and ROW(rest of the world).

·
Registered
175 Posts
Subsequent to my VIN inquiry, I have requested build numbers from Chris Ellis, head of Triumph Canada. As soon as I hear back I will post it. 370 and 372 could be a Canada and U.S. thing. I'm a Porsche owner, and their serial numbers do similar things regarding U.S. and ROW(rest of the world).
SuperIII, please keep me/us posted on what you find out. BTW, I'm in no way trying to say you're a liar or trying to rip people off. I respect the fact you've owned Triumphs since 1969 (I couldn't exactly do that seeing as I wasn't even BORN until 1968). I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this so I personally don't get ripped off.

With that said, the Super III being 370 in Canada doesn't make sense for a couple reasons, first of all 370 in the code for regular 300 series 900 Daytonas in the US and the rest of the world and second, my track bike was originally Canadian market and the VIN is SMT502...consitent with the rest of the world for 955i Daytonas.

Hopefully what we find out is that your bike, seeing as it's a '94, was one of the very first ones produced and it "snuck" through before the Super III was given it's own model designator.

·
Banned
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
not to beat a dead horse , just a correction , mine is a smt372. not a 370... not that it really matters, the only thing that really matters is that we all here love the hell out of our bikes, that why we go on here to get help, and stir up ****. its just how things go when you ride a triumph...;)

AAHHHHH!!

41 - 60 of 224 Posts