Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone try both of these helmets? Are they similar or different in shape? Every shop I've been to doesn't carry them but will be happy to order it for me....:rolleyes:
I have the arai profile and find it a bit noisey and heavy.
thanks for you input.
Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
936 Posts
I had the cheap Suomy Dark Metal, Just put it to rest, and got Arai Viper GT in Thunder Black, I tried lots of different lids to get the perfect fit, The fit of the Arai for my head was absolutely fantastic! You need to go and try lot's of helmets Mate, what works for one probably won't work for another. The only way to be sure is try them on.....By the way the Arai is fek'n noisey but I'll put up with that for comfort....& Earplugs.

·
Super Moderator
22,109 Posts
I have Suomy Spec 1-R Extreme (Dragon) - LOVE this helmet!
It may not be for everyone but the 'fit' for me is perfect.
Incredibly comfortable - but heads are all different & I've tried some brands that people have raved about & to me felt horrible (in spite of common opinion, I actually have a small head! :p)
Shoei for example just don't work for me.
So I would say, don't mail order ANY helmet until you have chance to try it for fit & feel.

Incidentally Suomy get some bad rep for the shield changing process - but when you know how, it's not that complex - maybe moreso than others, but not like you have to do that frequently - and so it takes 2 mins longer, a bit overstated as to how big a problem it really is. Replacement shields are expensive however so worth bearing in mind.

The Suomy graphics are fabulous, second to none and hold up well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
you find the profile heavy?

i have one, and it feels like half the weight of all the others I've had, maybe less.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
I haven't tried the Suomy, but my strong advice to you is to make absolutely sure that the helmet you want actually fits your head. Never buy one via mail order until you have tried on that actual model (and size!) in a store.

I've developed a strong brand loyalty to Arai over the years (after I couldn't get visors for my Griffin Clubman any more - remember those, elderly Brits?). They say you either have an Arai head or a Shoei head, evidently I'm with Arai.

whenever I need a new one (usually when the foam loosens up after three or four years) I'll try them on at my local stealer, then buy them online (to get the best price, and to save on the WA sales tax).

It's just my opinion, but I reckon that the smaller manufacturers can't possibly invest the same resources into R&D as the big guys. To my way of thinking, that translates into greater safety when you purchase an Arai of a Shoei. I wouldn't buy a cheaper or lesser-known brand unless I saw strong evidence that they were equivalently safe.

In other words, my head is worth the few extra bucks...

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks in advance for the input lads!

Stampy- I was looking at the Vandal model because I think the pin-up girl design is Aces!

DEcosse- i wish I could try one on! I've heard they are similar to Arai but that obviously remains to be seen.

Karana- The Profile is 400grams heavier than the Suomy and the Shoei R-1000 is lighter as well....

LFH- I hear ya mate! I definitely wouldn't buy any helmet w/out trying it on. If only I could find a shop that'd help me out!

Anyone else run either? I've had my Profile for 21k and am finding that bits are breaking slowly but surely. :( Otherwise it fits uber-gud! ;)

Cheers,
Mark

·
Registered
42 Posts
I wouldn't buy either without trying it on first. I currently have a profile and a medium fits be perfect. I was trying on Suomys and a med was really tight and a large way to big. So they really don't fit my head.

·
Registered
396 Posts
I have Suomy Spec 1-R Extreme (Dragon) - LOVE this helmet!
The Suomy graphics are fabulous, second to none and hold up well.

Interesting - a picture of your helmet with Half Dome in the background.
:cool:

·
Registered
420 Posts
Some Arais are similar in shape to some Suomys. Different models fit different heads better than others regardless of the brand. I personally have a Suomy head. Have both a Spec 1R Gobert and a Spec 1R Extreme Fabrizio. This solves my visor issue too by not only having a spare helmet, but having a dark smoke shield on one and a clear on the other. I don't have to worry about changing the shield. I just switch helmets. :D

What I have found is Shoei is not comfortable for me. And I was never impressed with Arai either until I tried on the Quantum 2. I am quite certain I will always own a Suomy, but I would very possibly go with a Quantum 2 in addition to it as a spare (I'm a helmet junky, owned up to 6 high-end helmets at once :wacko: ) You've picked 2 great brands, but you're gonna need to try on different models.

Don't forget to check out Shark helmets. I'm gonna get one of those too, I think, for a street helmet.

·
Registered
373 Posts
In my experience, Arai has some of the lightest helmets. I know Shoei is generally quieter than Arai. However, people have raved about the newest line of Schuberths. But Schuberths are among the heaviest.

Just buy the one that fits the best and ventilates well. Noise levels can be controlled by wearing earplugs.

·
Registered
440 Posts
The Suomy's are good helmets and have some cool graphics, but they run small. They just won't work on my giant head.

For reference, I'm on my second XXL Arai Quantum 2. I loved my first Arai Quantum 2 - as it was very light and very quiet. And I like my second Arai - the fit is just as comfortable, but it's not as quiet as my first one. Still, I think I'll probably be a Arai brand guy for life.

·
Premium Member
1,568 Posts
They just won't work on my giant head.
Look at the size of that boy's heed!
Shhh!
I'm not kidding, it's like an orange on a toothpick.
Shhh, you're going to give the boy a complex.
Well, that's a huge noggin. That's a virtual planetoid.
Shh!
Has it's own weather system.
Shhh!
He'll be crying himself to sleep tonight, on his huge pillow.

·
Registered
440 Posts
Look at the size of that boy's heed!
Shhh!
I'm not kidding, it's like an orange on a toothpick.
Shhh, you're going to give the boy a complex.
Nice one!
"...HEAD, MOVE!"
Love that movie! Well at least that scene! ;)

·
Registered
113 Posts
HEAD!!! PANTS!!! NOW!!!
Anyhow, Has anyone tried out an Akuma helmet??
They caught my interest, because they have "taillights" and photochromic visors...

My old Craft helm has traveled many thousands of miles with me, and is beginning to fall apart...

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just to chuck in my two cents ... my last 5 helmets have all been Vemars and Cabergs, my latest being a Caberg with internal sun visor ... all great lids !!

Someone mentioned smaller companies not having the same r&d budgets ... I read an article in a bike mag a couple years ago and it was surprising how many of the small "companies" were actually just budget brands owned by the likes of Shoei, Arai etc. anyway so probably benefit from the work they do developing helmets.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Well I finally found a SUomy at my local...it was a large so I was skeptical but low and behold it fit quite well, AND so much lighter!!!:eek:
So my Med Arai may be taking a back seat to a new Suomy Pin-Up Girl! :YellowWow:
Thanks for the input fellahs!
Cheers,
Mark

1 - 17 of 17 Posts