Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Well I have had some time to put a few miles on this shifter mod now and have to say; Why did Triumph not do this from the factory? What a difference. No exaggeration, I have not had a missed shift since I put this shifter on. Even the odd time where I have been a bit of a ***** with the shift action, it slips right in. 1-2nd, 5-6th makes no difference absolutely positive action. I can't remember who it was that came up with this mod, but thank you thank you thank you! I highly recommend it to anyone who has had the slightest issue with missed shifts. Biggest bang for the buck ($28.00) upgrade so far.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I too have done this mod. I think it is worthwhile but it does not come without compromise. The sunline is not made for the S3. The peg breaks away in the wrong direction, so in the event of a low side your screwed! It will rip off your transmission shaft! I think this is why the Triumph engineers designed the multi linkage setup...it will prevent the input shaft from being harmed in an accident. Also, the design limits any lateral forces on the shaft. I track my S3 often, so I'm probably going back to the 'safer' factory setup. After all, if you spent over $200 on sliders to prevent damage, would you keep a shifter that might $everly mess up your tranny if you low side?
Will

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Scary thought, I'd be interested to hear from someone who has done this mod and then dumped on the shifter side. I have dumped a lot of dirt bikes long before folding levers and never seen a broken shaft, but I suppose it's possible. I would hope the aluminum would just bend before the hardened shaft would break, especially with the drastic outward reach of the Sunline shifter.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I also think the aluminum would bend way before a steel shifter shaft would break. I've also gotten the false neutral 5th-6th a few times now even with the new Sunline shifter. Of course I wasn't shifting like a boss when that happened. I just changed my oil to Castrol 20-50 fully synthetic motorcycle racing oil from the Triumph Mobil One. I'm looking forward to see if I can notice any difference with the oil change.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I too have done this mod. I think it is worthwhile but it does not come without compromise. The sunline is not made for the S3. The peg breaks away in the wrong direction, so in the event of a low side your screwed! It will rip off your transmission shaft! I think this is why the Triumph engineers designed the multi linkage setup...it will prevent the input shaft from being harmed in an accident. Also, the design limits any lateral forces on the shaft. I track my S3 often, so I'm probably going back to the 'safer' factory setup. After all, if you spent over $200 on sliders to prevent damage, would you keep a shifter that might $everly mess up your tranny if you low side?
Will
Thats what I was thinking. The standard set up is also infinitely adjustable.

QUOTE=lospice1;1945057] I have no idea why Triumph did not design and implement the shifter in this way. Seems to me a direct linkage is better than ball joints.

I think it is ( the original setup ) to minimise on leverage on the selector shaft itself, by putting the one piece lever on it, it increases the " side push " on the slector shaft .The old 955 Tiger had a long selector shaft that was supported outside of the gearbox by a plate with a hole in it before the one piece selector lever.Is the replacement lever that you are using designed to be fitted backwards, just thinking about the way the ends are meant to fold backwards if they come into contact with anything ?

·
Registered
205 Posts
For those worried about the "folding the wrong way" issue, consider these points:

TONS of street bikes come with non-folding levers bolted directly to the shaft.

These dirt bike levers are designed for, well, dirt bikes who's chances of hitting rocks or stumps or digging into the ground in a tight turn (berm) are exponentially higher.

A street bike can rotate and fall in the opposite direction of travel so folding "the wrong way" can be "the right way". <grin>

Ordered an alloy CR250 lever this morning. My thoughts are that it will fold/bend long before the steel shift shaft. Just like the OEM one on my VFR (BTDT).

·
Registered
678 Posts
So, which is the Yamaha model/yr we're looking for with the Sunline piece? I've checked the threads and seen late '90s to '07, and there are different shifter part nos. for the period. Can someone who's installed a model that works ID the model and year range? Thx

·
Registered
428 Posts
Found a Sunline shifter at my local Yamaha shop so decided to try the mod. NOPE! It doesn't work on a 2011. Unless you have really, really, really small feet, or really, really, long feet.

Dang it..... one Sunline shifter for sale, any one need one?:p

Attachments

·
Registered
436 Posts
I ordered Sunline part # 25-01-040 for my 08.

It's way too long. Did I get the wrong one?

Is the YZ125 shifter shorter and farther out from the engine than the YZ80 shifter?

I'm trying to figure out if it's just me, but swapping them out is pretty fool proof, so I'm sure I'm doing it right.

Any help?

·
Registered
436 Posts
I think that there may be some differences popping up here.
The original mod was referenced in my earlier post , it recommended a yz85 shifter for a 07-10 model. Any other part is not the one you need to work correctly.

So, this is what I need?

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CKKQ68[/ame]

1 - 20 of 88 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.