Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 157 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2009 Speed Triple that my wife refers to as "my girlfriend" (for reasons I just can't understand...). My S3 is without doubt, the funnest bike I've ever owned in 30 years of riding.

One thing that I never really liked on my bike was the shifter/linkage. Two ball joints, a lot of slip (to me), and it just never adjusted comfortably for my size 14 boot.

After going through the forums and researching all over the online world, I ordered a Sunline Allow Folding Shift Lever that is for a Yamaha YZ-85 (the one that fits the 2007 - 2010) Yamahas. Here is the link to the one I use: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/Sunline-Alloy-Folding-Shift-Yamaha/dp/B003CKKQ68/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1313969371&sr=8-1[/ame]

This is the best upgrade I've done to the Speedy so far, by far. Totally worth the money. It took all of 25 minutes to install, including putting the tools away. Simply put the bike in neutral, remove the OEM shifter and all its linkage junk, and the Sunline fits directly on on the bike with no modifications and only the tightening of a bolt. It is fully adjustable up and down- just loosen the bolt, slide it off, and move it up or down a bit, then put it back on and tighten.

Shifting seems much tighter and much smoother with the Sunline. This is an excellent change for the Speed Triple that has given me no problems and better shift feel. I highly recommend doing this change!

Attachments

·
Registered
879 Posts
I'm sure it shifts better with a more direct connection, and it looks great. Any concerns about internal damage to the transmission in the event of a drop/tipover? I've broken the shifter pedal and the control plate in two incidents without any effect on the trans... these forces would be directly applied to the selector shaft on your bike now. Triumph would probably not spend money on extra fiddly bits that lower shift quality and increase supply chain & maintenance cost, without a safety or cost benefit. Thoughts?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not overly concerned about a drop. The pedal itself folds, and if I hit the pavement with enough force to screw up the transmission, I'll likely have much more important bits to worry about.

Also, there are a lot of bikes out there with a direct shifter- my wife's Suzuki GS500 for instance, as well as other standards and sport bikes.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I find that when shifting under hard acceleration, if you are doing it quickly/aggressively, the "bendable" part of the shift knob bends away from my foot resulting in missing the shift

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I'm sure it shifts better with a more direct connection, and it looks great. Any concerns about internal damage to the transmission in the event of a drop/tipover? I've broken the shifter pedal and the control plate in two incidents without any effect on the trans... these forces would be directly applied to the selector shaft on your bike now. Triumph would probably not spend money on extra fiddly bits that lower shift quality and increase supply chain & maintenance cost, without a safety or cost benefit. Thoughts?
I think it has more to do with the factory setup being infinitely adjustable. Probably not much priority is given to designing low crash repair costs.

Here's mine, shortened a bit and wearing a rubber booty (love it):

·
Registered
205 Posts
Triumph would probably not spend money on extra fiddly bits that lower shift quality and increase supply chain & maintenance cost, without a safety or cost benefit. Thoughts?
Sure they would. It's called Marketing. Look at how many bikes now have clip ons instead of conventional handlebars. Why? Because, just like rear sets, they look "racy" but in day to day riding they are worse for most riders. But hey they look cool. :rolleyes:

Previous Speed triples (along with millions of other bikes) have conventional shift levers. Search for transmission failures due to bent levers and tell us what you find.

·
Registered
48 Posts
My 03 S3 can with a direct shifter off the shaft as I think all 04 and prior Speedies came... I think all daytona 955s are this way also. I wonder if this can be done to an 2011 model which will be my next bike. Thanks, Andy

·
Registered
102 Posts
Nice!
May i ask where or what bike does the rubber come from......
It'll save me hours trawling around the bike shops...:)
Mines just arrived but i imagine the std nobbly bit will tear road boots to bits..!!

[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. The rubber booty is from a 2008 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 shifter. I got it at BikeBandit.com.

CHEERS!

Edit: It needed to be shortened a wee bit but that's easily done with a sharp utility knife.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry for the late reply. The rubber booty is from a 2008 Triumph Sprint ST 1050 shifter. I got it at BikeBandit.com.

CHEERS!

Edit: It needed to be shortened a wee bit but that's easily done with a sharp utility knife.
no worries- sorted-!
i got the original off, trimmed with scissors and forced the bugger on....looks ok! = no cost....;)

·
Registered
120 Posts
msr racing makes the same thing.in stock at any cyclegear store.to keep it from foldind forward drill a hole next to the pivot point and use a sheet metal screw.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Could the Daytona 955i shifter not be used?

I can't get a v clear pic of one, but in the pics I can find, it looks like it might work?

·
Registered
117 Posts
I need to bump this thread to say thanks and to re-emphasize how nice this modification is.

I ordered this: [ame]http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003CKKQ68[/ame] for my 2007 and it works great.

The best part is that finding neutral at a stop light happens much more reliably and quickly. For the life of me, I have no idea why Triumph used the more elaborate linkage shifter. Mine had 1" of slop up and down before it engaged with the engine. This modification is awesome and very worthwhile. I just wanted to throw my name on the list of happy folks.

1 - 20 of 157 Posts