Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here are a few pics of my new wheels. These are Sun aluminum rims manufactured by Buchanan's in Southern California. Buchanan offers these and Excel rims for essentially the same price, but after discussions with Kenny Buchanan I was convinced the Suns were the way to go. The spokes and nipples are polished stainless steel, but the wire gage is one size up from the stock Triumph steel spokes. The front rim is 2.75x19, the rear is 3.50x18. Going to an 18" rear wheel limits the tire selection, but by using a 140/70x18 I was able to keep the rolling diameter of the rear tire only 3/8" larger than the stock 130/80x17. The stock Bonneville center stand still works with this slightly larger rear tire, and I like the looks of the larger 18" wheel. While the wheels were apart I decided to powdercoat the front and rear hubs black to match the frame paint.

Dick

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
one more pic

Oops - only 4 pics perpost allowed

Dick

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Dick,

The 18 rear looks so much better IMHO that the 17. Just fills the area better.

Well done.

/Mike

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mike - coming from you that means a lot! When a rider is on the bike and the suspension settles down it really does fill out the rear fender nicely. I keep eyeing the taillights on my '66 Bonnies, and if I can find a NOS or a good use one I'll go to the trouble of welding up the relief for rear fender brace and smooth out the stock T100 rear fender to allow a clean installation of a real '66 Lucas taillight. The handlebars have to go too; I'm eyeing the bars from a H-D XL1200R = 6"rise, 31" wide and 9" of pullback.
When I get done with this one I still have my Montana bike (now buried in about 3' of snow) to work on this summer - I'm trying to leave the 2009 50th Anniversary *close* to stock, but keep making small changes :>))

Dick

·
Registered
594 Posts
+1 on the 18" rear wheel, definitely fits the bike more.

Also, the black hubs are a subtle thing but they really look a whole lot better than the silver originals. Looking at your bike makes me think the hubs should have been painted black from the factory -- pretty sure they were black on the original 60's bikes.

Edit: Also, why are the Sun rims better than Excel? They definitely look good but I thought Excel were considered top rims and I'm just curious what Mr. Buchanan said.

·
Registered
620 Posts
Dick,
other than aesthetics, are there any advantages on these type rims as opposed to stock?
thx
Texascat

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Dick,

First let me congratulate you on a very beautyful mod. The wheels look great!

Second, did you weigh the stock wheels or maybe just the rims and / or spokes? I am curious as I contemplate going to alu rims on my T100. If the weight-saving is enough I assume that it will help handling of the bike.

Greetings,
Thor

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Sun's are manufactured by Buchanan from extrusion run to their proprietary specification and alloy. They roll them, weld the seam, stretch form them in a "circumpress" to within .015" concentricity and then CNC machine 100% of the surfaces to within .003" TIR. Buchanan drills them to specification at the perfect angle, machine and hand polishes the rims and then laces them to the hub. The Excels are 6-7% heavier, and allegedly not quite as resistant to getting banged up as the Suns. Buchanan sells both, and was happy to supply either one. I originally went looking for shouldered or flanged Akronts, but apparently the quality of Akront rims has declined a lot over the years and I couldn't get exactly the sizes I wanted - hence the Suns. I've done business with Buchanan's since 1966 and trust their recommendation. Buchanan's has a lot of experience repairing broken spokes on Triumph wheels, but claim that with the larger diameter stainless wire they used to manufacture my spokes I won't ever have problems

These wheels are about 3.5/4.0# F/R lighter than the stock steel Triumph rims - not a lot but enough to feel the difference since it is unsprung weight. I used bolt cutters to cut the spokes and free the hubs without dismounting the OEM rubber from the rims - it only took 10 minutes for both wheels and was weirdly therapeutic.

I was changing the rear tire on one of my '66 Bonnevilles when i held the tire up to my 2007 an decided it would look pretty good - the older bikes are 19" front and 18" rear - and yes, the sixties bikes had black painted hubs.

Thank you all of for the compliments!

Dick

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
The Sun's are manufactured by Buchanan from extrusion run to their proprietary specification and alloy. They roll them, weld the seam, stretch form them in a "circumpress" to within .015" concentricity and then CNC machine 100% of the surfaces to within .003" TIR. Buchanan drills them to specification at the perfect angle, machine and hand polishes the rims and then laces them to the hub. The Excels are 6-7% heavier, and allegedly not quite as resistant to getting banged up as the Suns. Buchanan sells both, and was happy to supply either one. I originally went looking for shouldered or flanged Akronts, but apparently the quality of Akront rims has declined a lot over the years and I couldn't get exactly the sizes I wanted - hence the Suns. I've done business with Buchanan's since 1966 and trust their recommendation. Buchanan's has a lot of experience repairing broken spokes on Triumph wheels, but claim that with the larger diameter stainless wire they used to manufacture my spokes I won't ever have problems

These wheels are about 3.5/4.0# F/R lighter than the stock steel Triumph rims - not a lot but enough to feel the difference since it is unsprung weight. I used bolt cutters to cut the spokes and free the hubs without dismounting the OEM rubber from the rims - it only took 10 minutes for both wheels and was weirdly therapeutic.

I was changing the rear tire on one of my '66 Bonnevilles when i held the tire up to my 2007 an decided it would look pretty good - the older bikes are 19" front and 18" rear - and yes, the sixties bikes had black painted hubs.

Thank you all of for the compliments!

Dick
Great info and the final product looks amazing. I've been considering swapping to black anodized rims and getting the hubs PC'd black on my Thruxton. 3.5-4.0 pounds removed of unsprung weight removed must feel nice, although I'm not sure how much I'd save over the stock Thruxton rims.

Anyone happen to know the weight of the stock BEHR alloys as mounted on an '06 Thrux?

Again, BEAUTIFUL job on the T100 - looks the biz.

Jason

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Jason, the difference between the Thrux rims and aftermarket (Sun or Excel) rims is probably not a lot as the Thrux rims are already lighter than the Bonnie/Scram ones. But you could always go for the tubeless option (Alpina system), like they do in the Italian Thruxton Cup. You would loose 600 grams (1 and a third pounds) in the front and 900 grams (two pounds) in the rear I'm actually considering it for my T100.

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
Question: Does Sun make a 17" rim?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Premium Member
1,908 Posts
Also, the black hubs are a subtle thing but they really look a whole lot better than the silver originals. Looking at your bike makes me think the hubs should have been painted black from the factory -- pretty sure they were black on the original 60's bikes.
BTW, OEM Scrambler hubs are black. I think they went black when the engine case did.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I see that this thread is fairly old, but am wondering if dkreidel can shed some light on the impact the 18" wheel size has had on bike handling. I've read numerous threads and discussions on this. Some say anything other than the original size affects handling, others say it doesn't. I like the looks of the 18" as well, but am unsure I will do it if it affects handling. What sayeth thou?

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
I ran an 18" rear wheel this summer...no negative effects on handlling whatsoever and lighter than the stock 17" rim/tire combo. I recently switched to mags in order to go tubeless, but, had I stayed with spokes, I'd have kept the 18 incher and laced up an excel front wheel to match...

YMMV,

-- Rich

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I see that this thread is fairly old, but am wondering if dkreidel can shed some light on the impact the 18" wheel size has had on bike handling. I've read numerous threads and discussions on this. Some say anything other than the original size affects handling, others say it doesn't. I like the looks of the 18" as well, but am unsure I will do it if it affects handling. What sayeth thou?
Wow - a really old thread!

I really couldn't tell any significant difference in handling that I can attribute to the 18" rear wheel as I switched from the lousy Metzlers to a good set of BT-45 'Stones at the same time.

I can tell quite a bit of handling difference on the Scrammy with 19" Suns front and rear; but again a tire change to Maxxis DTR rubber and Bonneville length rear shocks at the same time.

Dick

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I ran an 18" rear wheel this summer...no negative effects on handlling whatsoever and lighter than the stock 17" rim/tire combo. I recently switched to mags in order to go tubeless, but, had I stayed with spokes, I'd have kept the 18 incher and laced up an excel front wheel to match...

YMMV,

-- Rich
Which mags did you go with?

Regards, Paul

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Which mags did you go with?

Regards, Paul
I'm currently running triumph mags off a '10 bonneville.

I've got a F2 rear and both F2 and F3 front wheels waiting in the wings, though...just waiting for some straight fork tubes to materialize so I can build a set of compatible forks to swap onto the bike. I hate taking the bike down and then finding some small issue that keeps me off the road while sorting it out. Summer it too short around here for that sort of thing...

Cheers,

--Rich

·
Premium Member
283 Posts
I'm currently running triumph mags off a '10 bonneville.
Beemerrich, any details on the swap? I don't have a mag-wheel Bonnie in front of me, but thought I recall the speedo cable setup was different enough that it wasn't a bolt-on fit for older spoke-wheel bikes.

Thx!

Jason

1 - 20 of 20 Posts