Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys.
New to the forum and to my 2010 Bonneville T100.
I am doing the normal post purchase going over and am just chasing a small oil leak. It appears to be coming from a sensor in the underside of the engine, just adjacent to the oil filter. Does anyone know what the sensor (or switch) is? Or even better a part number for the seal. I haven’t pulled the sensor out as yet, will drop the oil on the week end and do it then.
Cheers.

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
It's the nuetral switch. Been a few cases reported of them leaking.

·
Super Moderator
1,483 Posts
Not sure if you are thinking it is the seal leaking and that is what you intend to replace? It is more than likely leaking from the center of the switches body. If you are buying a new switch they come with the new crush washer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Back2.
I figured I’d start with the crush washer first, and then replace the switch if need be. Is this something that happens often? The centre of the switch leaking?

·
Registered
284 Posts
That part is hard enough to get to and change, and cheap enough, that I would never remove it without putting back a new one.

However, while mine wasn't leaking it was failing to engage correctly until the bike was fully warmed up and I tightened it about a half turn and it fixed the problem ... so maybe you might try just tightening it a touch to see if that sorts the leak. Never know.

·
Registered
4,861 Posts
Make good and sure you install it correctly if you take it out. I did trying to fix the same small oil leak. Apparently I didn't tighten it up enough, so after about 1 hr riding, and in my daughters driveway it died. The bike wouldn't start until I pushed the connecting wire up tightly. Bingo instant running.

·
Super Moderator
1,483 Posts
If you are handy and have the engineering mind - I posted a way to fix the switch from leaking. You will need to do a search to find my posted tutorial on the repair. But the switch plunger also wears down and becomes a problem. Most don't mess with trying to fix a $20 part but I am just about that tight and I like to fix things...

·
Registered
10,209 Posts
Thanks Back2.
I figured I’d start with the crush washer first, and then replace the switch if need be. Is this something that happens often? The centre of the switch leaking?
It doesn't happen often. I replaced mine years ago when I found an occasional drop of oil under the bike.

The problem with the crush washer is that you need one of the same thickness as original. I don't have experience with using a different washer, but it's been reported here. Apparently, the switch is sensitive to how far it's inserted, to the degree that the thickness of the washer matters. That's good enough reason to buy the OEM replacement part, which comes with the correct washer and electrical lug.

Most of the leaks are through the switch, not around the washer. As mentioned, it's more trouble than it's worth to just replace the crush washer, as that's not likely to fix the problem.

You'll need a long 14mm socket. Replacement is easy and you don't have to drain the oil, although some will leak out. The only hard part is properly re-attaching the wire because the access to it is difficult, but once it's on, you're good to go. As I recall, an angled long-nose plier was helpful.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys.
Lots of great tips here and very appreciated. I’ll order a new switch, the bike has a lot of kms on it and I don’t want any trouble from it, do it once and do it right.
Cheers

1 - 10 of 10 Posts