Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just trying to up my post count and thought I would share my recent coolant encounter with my Sprint GT. I have read many posts and seems to me there is not one most common problem. I replaced the coolant in early March and when I finished topping off it was at the max level which is where the level remained until just the other day riding in temps since then between 80F and 115F with no issues and the temp gauge always runs around 3 bars from max when it's 100F or more but the fan operates and have never had the flashing bars overheat condition. Rode the other day no different than normal, no gauge issues but did happen to notice while riding that the coolant expansion tank level had rose above the max line approx. 2 inches or so which I had never noticed before but had no other problems during the ride. Parked the bike and later that day after the bike had been sitting had a large trail of coolant (hard to say but maybe a pint or so) that had spit out the overfill tube under the bike. Checked the expansion tank level and was approx. 1 to 2 inches below the min line but not even close to empty. Looked everything over and saw no issues so started the bike and just idled until up to temp, fan operating as usual not over heating and the level in the expansion tank rose to the max line when full warmed up. Checked the engine oil for any signs of contamination but looks normal, I've ordered a new radiator cap as a precaution but I am baffled as to how after so many months does it seem like the coolant was overfilled. Also wanted to ask if when the bike is warm and turned off does other people's cooling fans continue to run for any amount of time? Mine has never ran after turned off. Thanks for reading!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Is it like riding in a blast furnace?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah it can be pretty brutal at times. I try to get my rides in early morning and be home or somewhere cooler by mid day

·
Registered
378 Posts
Had same thing happen about 5 years back. Hot day, around high 30's C and stuck in traffic while riding back to hotel late afternoon. Parked bike and later noticed coolant overflow under bike. Another rider had same issue - I don't recall bike model - and had already picked up a gallon of premix coolant from the local Honda dealership. Topped mine off and never had a repeat, even on very warm days. And no, my '06 fan does not run with ignition off. Normal? I can't answer that but would definitely not worry about it.

·
Registered
3,485 Posts
The fans on both the Tiger and Sprint will occasionally run for around 15-20 seconds after shut off after a long, hot run followed by ten miles of slow speed stuff.
It shuts off by the time I've got my gloves and helmet off.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Sounds like the fan is a non issue, just keep an eye on the coolant for now and worry about it more if it happens again with a new cap which I did inspect and found slight wear to the rubber gasket so replaced it just for piece of mind at $13.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Riding around town in Florida on my 2001 Sprint the fan often runs for 20-30 seconds after shutting off if it's very warm. I don't leave the bike until it quits, for fear of something sticking and returning to a dead battery, but it never runs for more than about a minute. It's just a really long minute when you're waiting for it.

Mine has never burped coolant, even though the temp gauge has gone up some while sitting in traffic in the heat.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
...Parked the bike and later that day after the bike had been sitting had a large trail of coolant (hard to say but maybe a pint or so) that had spit out the overfill tube under the bike. Checked the expansion tank level and was approx. 1 to 2 inches below the min line but not even close to empty. Looked everything over and saw no issues so started the bike and just idled until up to temp, fan operating as usual not over heating and the level in the expansion tank rose to the max line when full warmed up. Checked the engine oil for any signs of contamination but looks normal, I've ordered a new radiator cap as a precaution but I am baffled as to how after so many months does it seem like the coolant was overfilled.
Yeah, it due to the over-pressure valve of the radiator cap not closing properly or opening too soon. A thorough cleaning cure the problem in most of the cases (water and tooth brush). Clean also the cap radiator seat.

Also wanted to ask if when the bike is warm and turned off does other people's cooling fans continue to run for any amount of time? Mine has never ran after turned off. Thanks for reading!
My 2002 955 was acting so but not my GT. Could be that an additional temp threshold is implemented in the software to trigger that.

Fred

·
Registered
102 Posts
Blesher,

Sounds like the cap spring is getting weak. You ride in more heat than most of us, so replace it for piece of mind. Have had cars do this too, but usually there is room in tank on a car.

good luck

Dan

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
New cap, cleaned the cap seating area, topped off the coolant and rode without further issues. If it happens again I will consider a coolant type change as fredsprint has suggested.

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
Great.

Please note that in case of cap cleaning (instead of changing) the two valves have to be cleaned. So the big one for over-pressure that is the surrounding of the cap (big spring) and the small one on the center (under-pressure) which sprint is inside the small brass cylinder.

Fred

1 - 12 of 12 Posts