Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having waded through pages of posts I have not found an answer to some questions regarding the issues of heat, lighting, mirror vibration and so on which were all present when I test rode a 2006 ST.

I'm collecting a 2009 bike next weekend and wondered if any of those issues still exist, and just general advice. There are umpteen pages of tyres starting with MZ6s (which I didn't like on a Fazer) so what is the current recommended replacement. Essentially I'm after a summary of advice rather than 4 year old walls of text. Could someone please point me in the right direction...:assimilate:

·
Premium Member
3,038 Posts
. welcome from NZ seahorse.
In a nutshell - there have been a few developments between the original 1050 Sprint in 2005 and this years model.

- heat: there were some complaints about heat on the riders legs early on.This has been improved by fitting a foam heat deflector in the side fairings and enlarging the openings to allow more heat out.Bear in mind it is still a 125 hp engine and there is a lot of heat to get rid of so there is always the possibility that it may be an issue for some.

- lighting.The lighting has been upgraded which apparently has improved things.

- mirror vibration: never an issue for me.Sure they vibrate sometimes but no worse than other bikes I've owned.I understand there may have also been some modifications in this area too.

- tires: good luck with this one.Depends on your riding style but Avon Storms and the Michelen Pilot Road/Sports are popular.There are plenty of opinions ;)
There is a sticky thread on tires.Makes interesting reading - but the answer doesnt jump out at you.

Only 6 sleeps to go?:D

Grant:cool:

·
Premium Member
24,383 Posts
Welcome mat out

Hi and welcome Seahorse:)

Don and I ask all our noobs to please read our forum stickies to better acquaint yourself with how we do things here:)

On tyres I am happy to give some guidance if you want to PM me or post a lot of information about how you ride, what is most important in a tyre to you, what climate you ride in and where, what sort of roads, touring/commuting or sports riding.

The simple reason that nothing gives the tyre choice for the Sprint is because it is totally dependant on lost of factors which may be different for you than me.

cheers I hope you enjoy the forum

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm UK based, will be doing about 300 miles a week hooning up to work and normally ride year round. I've been off a bike for about 2 years after leaving the forces and the career change that meant more time in the car, but could not tolerate it any more, hence the snap purchase with very little time to research and the need for some rapid catching up.

Oh, used to ride round all sorts of people on a MK1 Fazer using BT020's as my tyre of choice.

I skimmed the stickies as they are absolutely huge, hence my quest for a short concise summary - I am more than happy to whittle those kind of things down, and post them to make other people lives easier but I need some time to absorb it all.

I've already edited the wiki page for the same reason...;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hi Mike

You getting yours from Rafferty's? I picked mine up from there 3 weeks ago:-

Absolutely love it, have done around 800 miles already - only 200 to go till I can really open it up ;)

Biggest tips I can suggest so far:-

• Get the gel seat - feels like I could ride all day with it, Mrs loves it too
  • Check the headlamp alignment - I am convinced mine was set too low from the factory, have put Nightbreakers in and got Raffs to re-align them when it went in for the first service which makes a big difference
  • When you try and put the seat back on, don't push the bolts too hard as that will only bend the clip that they screw in to. If you do bend it, insert the bolt with the seat off and bend it back up again.

I picked up the ST after 5 years on an SV1000s - only thing I miss is the sound, and the engine braking, however once I get a set of Trident's I am sure I will get over it :D

Might see you around - I live near M27 J7, and quite often commute in to town - based near Jury's Inn roundabout so give me a wave if you see me.

Matt

·
Premium Member
24,383 Posts
I'm UK based, will be doing about 300 miles a week hooning up to work and normally ride year round. I've been off a bike for about 2 years after leaving the forces and the career change that meant more time in the car, but could not tolerate it any more, hence the snap purchase with very little time to research and the need for some rapid catching up.

Oh, used to right round all sorts of people on a MK1 Fazer using BT020's as my tyre of choice.

I skimmed the stickies as they are absolutely huge, hence my quest for a short concise summary - I am more than happy to whittle those kind of things down, and post them to make other people lives easier but I need some time to absorb it all.

I've already edited the wiki page for the same reason...;)
Seahorse,

the stickies I was referring to were not the tyre thread stickies and the like but rather the ones on the main page here referring to manuals and forum etiquette etc.:)

The tyre that is right for someone is the one that makes them feel the most confident on the road or track, that will not always be the same for everyone.

I know that the BT 020 would never be my tyre of choice for the Sprint although it is OEM it does not do the bike's handling justice IMHO.

The reasons are mostly it is not that good in the wet, it cups badly on the front of the Sprint, worse than other brands and does not have the best grip on offer, when it lets go it gives no warning like other tyres, they just let go.

If you like the BT 020 I am guessing then you are prefer a Sports Touring tyre as opposed to a Sports tyre. You want a good balance of grip and longevity then, so longevity is important to you then?

The BT 020 is now superceded by the BT 021 but I have not heard that it has solved the previous issues yet. I do not beleive it has.
The BT 020 is an extremely hard wearing tyre but looses out in handling and grip to most other Sports Touring tyres available in the Sprint's sizes:

Michelin Pilot Road 2CT
Dunlop Sportmax
Avon Storm (also very good in the wet)
Metzeler Z6
Pirelli Strada or Rosso
Continental Road Attack

The most popular all round Sports touring tyre that suits the Sprint on this site is the Michelin Pilot Road 2CT, tests have shown it has the best wet grip of the sports touring tyres, it offers very good wear and has a good rate of turn in and transitions well in esses due to the Vee shaped front which is very different from the earlier more rounder profile, old Pilot Roads.

If you do a quick search you will find a tyre poll in the general Sprint Forum which shows this.

The most popular sports tyre on this site would be the Michelin Pilot Power for the Sprint.

There is also a tyre thread Poll on how many miles to you get from your tyres, which will also come up in a search.

I hope that helps with the tyre choice.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
You getting yours from Rafferty's? I picked mine up from there 3 weeks ago:-

Might see you around - I live near M27 J7, and quite often commute in to town - based near Jury's Inn roundabout so give me a wave if you see me.
Yes mate, Raffertys - in Black. The £800 went on Gel seat, Alarm, anodised master cylinder, mudguard extender, heated grips can't remember what else. Thanks for the tips. They also recommended the Givi top box, need to source one - looks like you already have one! I'm just off Sainsburys junction - don't know the number!

Dave,

Ettiquette etc stickies about, warez, manuals etc are noted.

If you like the BT 020 I am guessing then you are prefer a Sports Touring tyre as opposed to a Sports tyre. You want a good balance of grip and longevity then, so longevity is important to you then?
I am likely rack up serious mileage, and longevity makes more sense, especially with the dual compound construction. On the Fazer the BT020s gave better grip in the wet and lasted longer. The MZ6s squared later but wore out quicker. I used to do a new rear every 3 months, so it was about saving money. Tbh in my new life that is not so much of an issues, but I suppose on how long a sporty tyre lasts.

/me Makes a mental note about Michelin Pilot Road 2CT & Pilot Power.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Mirrors - found that mine is ok up to 150 km/h (93 mph), above that they start to vibrate to the extent that it is hard to se anything at all.
I remember reading someone modded them to tightening them up with good result.

·
Premium Member
4,389 Posts
If your Metz Z6's squared off, your setup and especially pressures were screwed up. I can say that for a fact. I just now replaced the Z6's with over 7,500miles on them and they were still going strong with absolutely no squaring or cupping. If you squared the back off you were way over inflated for you weight and application. I replaced them only because I got bored with them.

The Z6's are so far superior to the BT020's in the wet or dry it isn't even close. I live in Oregon and if you don't ride in the wet, you don't ride.

Actually, on a Sprint, I'd say for what you are telling us, the Z6's should be one of those on your "A" list along with the Avon Storms and Mich. Pilot Road 2's now that I have some wet seat time with the PR2's and a ton on Z6's.
Actually, the Z6's from what you are saying you will be doing a lot of commuting and the Z6 is a very stable set and not so much of a handling tire because of the more rounded profile of the front.

A thought crossed my mind. With your previous experience with Z6's someone did tell you that the rear doesn't have a tread in the center and upright the matched front does make the channel through the water for the rear to follow through but leaned over in a corner there is tread on the side of the rear? Are you confusing that lack of tread in the center for squaring off? If it did truly square off you had it over inflated and you burned the center out.

Being a newb you need to understand something here. If you see something you would like to do that you think would be a benefit to our members, you have to put it before DaveM or myself for our consideration First.

Don

·
Registered
151 Posts
And I'm not far away either in Waterlooville so may see you around sometime.

As for tyres on my 25k miles I have tried 021's Avon Storms and 020's both the NN and normal and all have only lasted around 4-4.5k miles and squared off by 3k but all that low down torque doen't help them last :D

Yes mate, Raffertys - in Black. The £800 went on Gel seat, Alarm, anodised master cylinder, mudguard extender, heated grips can't remember what else. Thanks for the tips. They also recommended the Givi top box, need to source one - looks like you already have one! I'm just off Sainsburys junction - don't know the number!

Dave,

Ettiquette etc stickies about, warez, manuals etc are noted.

I am likely rack up serious mileage, and longevity makes more sense, especially with the dual compound construction. On the Fazer the BT020s gave better grip in the wet and lasted longer. The MZ6s squared later but wore out quicker. I used to do a new rear every 3 months, so it was about saving money. Tbh in my new life that is not so much of an issues, but I suppose on how long a sporty tyre lasts.

/me Makes a mental note about Michelin Pilot Road 2CT & Pilot Power.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
If your Metz Z6's squared off, your setup and especially pressures were screwed up. I can say that for a fact. I just now replaced the Z6's with over 7,500miles on them and they were still going strong with absolutely no squaring or cupping. If you squared the back off you were way over inflated for you weight and application.
I rode my Fazer every day for 2.5 years. I set the correct pressures weekly. I assumed I use more throttle than most riders rather than over inflated, not a lot you can do with the bargain bucket suspension on the Fazer. I used to get 5,000 from a rear which would have been shredded and about 7,000 from a front. People report higher mileages than me on those bikes too. As for the 'Blade I had before, lucky to see 2,500 from a rear...:eek:

I would, however, be interested in suspension advice on the ST...;)

·
Premium Member
24,383 Posts
Sea Horse as for longevity on tyres;

that has a lot to do with how you ride and on what road conditions in and in what temperatures and your weight and a bunch of other stuff, including pressures.

I have used 20 rears and 14 fronts on my Sprint in 62,000kms.

I have pictures of a number of tyres tested in both my clicky link albums below.

I average 3000kms a rear but I do mostly mountain riding and have used a mixture of sports tyres and a few race tyres.

Please do a search on suspension set up there are numerous recent threads on this but I would point out only you can set up for you.

Squared off tyres has to do mostly with tyre pressure and riding distances upright.

Be careful when you refer to tyre pressure recommendations as this is also an individual thing depending on your weight, tyre brand and type, temperature and road conditions.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mike - if that is Sainsbury's at Hedge End then I will almost definitely see you around - Sainsburys is J7 :D:D:D

Mine is the 46litre Givi box - if you want to come round/meet up to have a look at it then just let me know

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
J7 is the winner then. Where did you get the Givi from, and does is need the mounting plate?

Love to have a look, still waiting for the phone call today to confirm delivery date/time...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
58 Posts
J7 is the winner then. Where did you get the Givi from, and does is need the mounting plate?

Love to have a look, still waiting for the phone call today to confirm delivery date/time...:rolleyes:
Raffs supplied the box as part of the £800 offer (they recommended it over the Triumph box as it will hold two lids) - as well as the box I alos needed the Triumph rack and an adapter plate for the Givi.

Re suspension - the handbook with the bike contains settings for rider only (soft, standard & firm), pillion & pillion & luggage which are a good place to start from. I am about 14 stone or so with all my gear on, and find the 'firm' setting ok at the moment.

Re tyres - I will probably run with the 020s until the rear needs changing, then go for a dual compound. I had Z6s on my SV1000 - found them good, however once they start to wear they then the go very quickly - I thought I would get at least 1000 miles from the last few mm on the rear, I only got about 350 until they were virtually unrideable.

If you want to have a look at the box send me a PM

Hope you get yours soon!

Matt

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Will also be using firm setting then! Call received today, new toy confirmed for Saturday...:)

Can't remember all the bits I ordered, alarm/immob, gel seat, rack, fender extender and heated grips are all I can recall..!

·
Premium Member
591 Posts
Welcome.

if I had known of the road rubbish thrown up without a front fender extender, I'd have had one straight off.

The gel seat, Tridents and slightly more upright riding position do it for me though!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Will also be using firm setting then! Call received today, new toy confirmed for Saturday...:)

Can't remember all the bits I ordered, alarm/immob, gel seat, rack, fender extender and heated grips are all I can recall..!
LOL - I think I went for:-

Alarm/immob
gel seat
rack
givi box
heated grips
hugger
power connector for optimate
triumph sympatex jacket
triumph sympatex trousers
gps connector - was going to use that to connect up the autocom but didn't need it in the end
Just remembered - lubetronic

Came to 'a bit more than' the £800 but managed to do a good deal;)

Went out on a good ride with the Raffs Rats last weekend to Compton Abbas Airfield - a bit more sedate than some rides i have done but still a fair old pace on some stretches :D

FIngers crossed for good weather on Saturday for you, I'll keep my eyes/ears open for you around the village.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts