Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have a Spitfire windscreen fitted to a previous 1983 T140E, did the job well.
I now have a T140V 1973 and was hoping to get another Spitfire screen, but none available in the UK right now. The cost of importing one from the US is way too high. I am hoping for a Spitfire screen to appear on Ebay in the UK but in the meantime looking at alternatives.
The wind in your face, the freedom of the road ... all sounds great, but I ride all year long and so want to avoid the cold east winds and snow!
https://www.xlmoto.co.uk/mc-parts/f...eo&utm_medium=banner&utm_campaign=lowerfunnel
The Puig screen fittings seem to be universal? Has anyone fitted it to a T140? What works well and fits on a Meriden bike? I lean towards bigger and functional than smaller and fashionable.
Great forum, top class and much appreciated, Liam - Hemswell, Lincolnshire UK

·
Registered
896 Posts
Hi Liam,

Ah! Hemswell! You lucky man. One day maybe I'll return to live in my home county.

I have one of these on my 73 TR7RV:

Looks like an obsolete website and I've had the screen maybe 30 years, but on their home page they seem to be still in business and give a contact number. Maybe they can still supply the screen? It works well for me.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Stuart, its a larger type screen I am after really, but I will check out all his screens anyway. Andy, I am from Dublin myself, so we are both runaways! Started off on a Tiger Cub in Dublin, brilliant bike, ride safe, Liam

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Have just bought a Givi 4 point mounting full screen in as new condition off Ebay for £70. Recommended by Norman Hyde for the Bonnevilles. Collection only but only 2 hrs drive away and plenty of coffee places! I expect there will be some fumbling about with selecting the best support, seems to be two on the handlebar and two on the forks .. will sort something out, thanks for all the advice, Liam

·
Registered
83 Posts
Have just bought a Givi 4 point mounting full screen in as new condition off Ebay for £70. Recommended by Norman Hyde for the Bonnevilles. Collection only but only 2 hrs drive away and plenty of coffee places! I expect there will be some fumbling about with selecting the best support, seems to be two on the handlebar and two on the forks .. will sort something out, thanks for all the advice, Liam
A few pictures when you get it on there would be nice, or during installation if you could. -BA

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Liam,

Ah! Hemswell! You lucky man. One day maybe I'll return to live in my home county.

I have one of these on my 73 TR7RV:

Looks like an obsolete website and I've had the screen maybe 30 years, but on their home page they seem to be still in business and give a contact number. Maybe they can still supply the screen? It works well for me.
Looked up that site and really impressed with the link to the carbs balancing service items - Morgan Carbtune - carburetor synchronizer for balancing motorcycle carbs getting the carbs synchronised and performing well is all so important. Another job for next week! Liam

·
Super Moderator
8,258 Posts
Hi Liam,
really impressed with the link to the carbs balancing service items - Morgan Carbtune - carburetor synchronizer for balancing motorcycle carbs getting the carbs synchronised and performing well is all so important. Another job for next week!
Ummm ... "be careful what you wish for" ... risking telling you something you know already, Carbtunes require inlet vacuum take-offs, and they're one thing none of these old heaps don't have as standard.

In theory, not difficult to add. In practice, thick metal is needed for plenty of blanking screw threads; it's wise to machine the holes accurately perpendicular to the chosen external surface, so the blanking screw washer seals without any leaks; the spots you pick are both accessible on a hot engine, minimising burnt hands/fingers, and minimise the possibility of blanking screws dropping out when the bike's being used.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Stuart! I will settle for the basics of adjusting each carb to match the revs! A smooth ride down into Lincoln most days and perhaps exploring local villages will be fine for now, coastal trip around Ireland in late summer if all goes well with Covid, ferries, hotels, B&B's, travel restrictions ... the simple world of yesterday is fast vanishing! Liam

·
Registered
896 Posts
Hi Liam, FWIW, I've just fitted that Givi screen to my 2015 T100 Bonnie. It has 2 mounts not 4, but works just fine, way better than the std Triumph screen. Not quite as good as the Morgan screen on my 73 Tiger 750 but at least it's available.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
You will see that it has four attachments. I assume that will add rigidity if attached correctly, fingers crossed, no actual dimensions supplied, Liam

·
Super Moderator
8,258 Posts
Hi Liam,
has four attachments. I assume that will add rigidity
Fwiw, for years I've used a Rickman screen not dissimilar to the Morgan pictured in an earlier post; rods-'n'-clamps similar to your Givi's from the top mounts to the handlebars but just L-shaped brackets from the bottom mounts to the headlamp bolts.

Hth.

Regards,

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Back in the day when I started out riding, motorcycles were a common mode of transport for getting to and from work. The Honda 50 had emerged and that radically changed the motorcycling industry. The BSA Bantam and even my beloved Cub were overtaken by the very reliable and simple to maintain mopeds and low cc bikes that looked so exciting.
Windscreens were very popular as the bikes were used every day in all weathers and no good arriving at work drenched wet and cold, unable to work, same going home. The Morgan screen was a superb bit of kit, never had one but I wish I had as I used my bike for long trips across the UK from Ipswich over to Blackpool each weekend for 3 years and in all weathers. Morgan Hi Impact polycarbonate windscreens The wind buffeting on the high altitude M62 motorway was a bit dodgy, especially with high sided trucks alongside. I once arrived home around midnight, having rode all the way through a snowstorm, was completely covered in snow which had sort of hardened around my body shape. From previous - embarrassing - experience I had made sure my right foot was not unable to actually move and be placed on the ground when I stopped. Stuffing newspapers around the chest area was good, preserved my core heat a bit. I moved on to a BMW R45 for a year and although I quickly moved back to a T140E, that riding comfort convinced me that riding safety is linked to not freezing to death.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Well, I'll go to the foot of our stairs. I thought I had the only Morgan screen ever made, but it seems they were a known make. Never seen another. Can't remember where or when I bought mine, or what bike I first had it on. As Stuart says, 2 rods with handlebar clamps and L brackets to the headlamp. Rock solid. Not a stylish work of art, but a triumph of function over form.

·
Registered
7,959 Posts
Back in the day when I started out riding, motorcycles were a common mode of transport for getting to and from work. The Honda 50 had emerged and that radically changed the motorcycling industry. The BSA Bantam and even my beloved Cub were overtaken by the very reliable and simple to maintain mopeds and low cc bikes that looked so exciting.
Windscreens were very popular as the bikes were used every day in all weathers and no good arriving at work drenched wet and cold, unable to work, same going home. The Morgan screen was a superb bit of kit, never had one but I wish I had as I used my bike for long trips across the UK from Ipswich over to Blackpool each weekend for 3 years and in all weathers. Morgan Hi Impact polycarbonate windscreens The wind buffeting on the high altitude M62 motorway was a bit dodgy, especially with high sided trucks alongside. I once arrived home around midnight, having rode all the way through a snowstorm, was completely covered in snow which had sort of hardened around my body shape. From previous - embarrassing - experience I had made sure my right foot was not unable to actually move and be placed on the ground when I stopped. Stuffing newspapers around the chest area was good, preserved my core heat a bit. I moved on to a BMW R45 for a year and although I quickly moved back to a T140E, that riding comfort convinced me that riding safety is linked to not freezing to death.
Newspaper,? surely you had moved on to the better insulation of corrugated cardboard. My daily cold rides, i would stop every 5 miles and put my gloves over the exhaust pipes. kept my hands warm but i was stinking of petrol. Nowadays, bubble wrap is a good undergarment unless you buy proper motorcycle clothes.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bubble wrap sounds good, fish & chips would work well and you could stop later to feast on them. I think I must have around 10 different bike jackets, but mostly vintage as they have character, Belstaff were brilliant of course. Classic Triumph bikes have heart and soul and so the clothing needs to complement all that, leather gear works well in all weather and saves the skin in a spill. Carb balancing act tomorrow if its a bit dry .. keep safe everyone, Liam

·
Registered
26 Posts
Hi there. Does anyone know if Liam's Givi screen will fit / work with US style handlebars? My 76 V is a US import.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hi Sean, I have yet to collect the screen, its a 3 hrs drive away and hopefully later this week I will be looking at fitting it to the 1973 T140V I got back from the US, will post some pics. My bike also has the higher bars, cheers, Liam

1 - 20 of 26 Posts