Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is the problem, I have the Jardines on my Rocket and the exhaust note is about 95 db. What can I use on the Jardines to reduce the db level from these pipes? I would say a reduction of 10 db would do the trick.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Hey rktmn3 & PriorityOne, why the need to reduce the sound? I would figure you bought the Jardines for that "sound" quality. They do sound great. Just wondering why you guys want to "tame" them now.

[ This message was edited by: rusty on 2006-12-10 09:38 ]

·
Banned
10,016 Posts
Have any of the states started failing bikes because of excessive noise? It seems like that might be coming down the road. It would be ashame to pay the money for a set of great l ooking pipes only to have to change them out.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rusty,

Well I can sum it up in three words, "its the law". :-D

I love the sound and they look great. I must admit I did not know that after market pipes from Jardine would exceed 85 db. It's not like they are straight pipes.

They only need to come down 10 db which is not all that much.

PriorityOne,

I have sent an email to Jardine and will post once they reply.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rusty,

I should be a bit more clear. Two years ago when I purchased the pipes there was no law for sound. Starting this January a new law starts to take affect so that is why I have the pipes and now need to adjust. :)

·
Registered
381 Posts
On 2006-12-11 11:10, rktmn3 wrote:

Not all that much? hmmmm.

I may be wrong but I'm almost sure from what I've read that a 3db increase would double the power of a sound wave.
To the human ear a 10db increase would be percieved as double the noise.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I rode a RIII with Jardines before I even thought about buying some. Tooooooo loud for me after riding a Valkyrie. And, moreover more communities are passing and enforcing noise ordinances and I applaud that. I am sick and tired of hearing loud twins (mainly Harleys and pretenders and their ilk) of t***** thru the neighborhood. In fact, some neighborhoods are banning motorcycles period because of the noise not wanting to do diligence on the loud ones. So, it's time to be responsible and keep the noise to a low roar at least!

Also, while power is great... you do NOT have to have a loud pipe/system to even achieve maximum power! In fact, NASCAR a few years ago was experimenting with baffles in the exhaust system that actually made more power (remember the funny sound that Sterlin Martin's cars made at the big ovals?). They banned them after figuring out what was going on because they thought the fans came for the noise!

And....I don't want to hear the "loud pipes saves lives" arguments either! There is NO evidence of this anywhere!

And....after playing in the AA/FF arena for years.... nothing can beat that anywho as far as gonnad protruding ground pounding sound! There is a place for it....at the track!

T

·
0 Posts
On 2006-12-12 05:14, HOTRODSRJ wrote:
I rode a RIII with Jardines before I even thought about buying some. Tooooooo loud for me after riding a Valkyrie. And, moreover more communities are passing and enforcing noise ordinances and I applaud that. I am sick and tired of hearing loud twins (mainly Harleys and pretenders and their ilk) of t***** thru the neighborhood. In fact, some neighborhoods are banning motorcycles period because of the noise not wanting to do diligence on the loud ones. So, it's time to be responsible and keep the noise to a low roar at least!

Also, while power is great... you do NOT have to have a loud pipe/system to even achieve maximum power! In fact, NASCAR a few years ago was experimenting with baffles in the exhaust system that actually made more power (remember the funny sound that Sterlin Martin's cars made at the big ovals?). They banned them after figuring out what was going on because they thought the fans came for the noise!

And....I don't want to hear the "loud pipes saves lives" arguments either! There is NO evidence of this anywhere!

And....after playing in the AA/FF arena for years.... nothing can beat that anywho as far as gonnad protruding ground pounding sound! There is a place for it....at the track!
Great post and couldn't agree more. It's the total idiots who sit there at red lights/intersections with their open exhausts on their Harleys (90% of the time, that's who's doing this idiotic behavior) revving the engine for NO REASON, other than to say "hey, whoopy....look at me on my Harley"....

...what they don't realize...is that they are ruining the sport/activity for the rest of us...and you can be assured that more and more communities are banning motorcycles altogether because of it.

All it takes is a handful of citizens to call their politicians before local laws start getting passed to ban bikes.

Heck, In California, there's been laws past that you can't even ride ON YOUR OWN LAND, unless it's between certain hours and there's a limit to the number of machines you can run WITHIN the 'legal' window of time!?!? ***?!?!?!

This really is happening, folks.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Sounds like the states are following the uk on noise levels.Loud pipes in the uk is a worse sin than murdering a nun.The cops wait for you at bike meetings and behead you in front of your fellow bikers to serve as a warning to otheirs who dare have a pipe louder than a whisper.So be warned take heed now or suffer like us in the uk and be reduced to the sound of silence aargh. :hammer:

·
Banned
557 Posts
I hope Jardines provides the market place with the device you request to remove 10db. Companies that make after market exhaust systems are aware of the noise laws.

T

·
0 Posts
On 2006-12-12 14:28, step1 wrote:
Sounds like the states are following the uk on noise levels.Loud pipes in the uk is a worse sin than murdering a nun.The cops wait for you at bike meetings and behead you in front of your fellow bikers to serve as a warning to otheirs who dare have a pipe louder than a whisper.So be warned take heed now or suffer like us in the uk and be reduced to the sound of silence aargh. :hammer:
LOL....u guys are brutal over there!! :)

-Long live THE WHO

·
Registered
855 Posts
Do the Jardine's have a baffle in them? If not Jardine may even offer one. You can buy different sized glass baffles from various race product suppliers like summit racing. Maybe you could fit one?

Here is an old related thread. Sounds like the baffles aren't packed with anything. Maybe packing them with some fiberglass would help?

Clickity Clack

[ This message was edited by: Pig9r on 2006-12-12 18:03 ]

·
Registered
222 Posts
I have heard Jardine is addressing this issue with an updated baffle. I would contact them directly and see when it will be available. If not im sure you can make one from the jap bike pipes.. all you need to do is measure the opening and drill a bolt hole to mount it. Doesnt seem to difficult but you know how that goes.. Good luck. :cool:

L

·
0 Posts
It's not just the law. Most of us have neighbors. Many are not bikers. I have neighbors that are shift workers and some are retired and like to live quietly.
CONSIDERATION is not a law but it sure goes with being neighborly.

JMO from a stock RIII guy.

Bruce

·
Registered
83 Posts
On 2006-12-11 12:09, English_Spanner wrote:
On 2006-12-11 11:10, rktmn3 wrote:

Not all that much? hmmmm.

I may be wrong but I'm almost sure from what I've read that a 3db increase would double the power of a sound wave.
To the human ear a 10db increase would be percieved as double the noise.
Not to nitpick..........but you know how us engineers are...... for the record....a 10db increase or decrease is 10 to the one power or 1*10-11 W/m2 or about 10 TIMES the increase or decrease!

Here is some help there for those of you that are bored..... http://www.glenbrook.k12.il.us/GBSSCI/PHYS/CLASS/sound/u11l2b.html[addsig]

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tis quite clear; freedom and liberty are not widely understood amongst Rocketeers; unless of course it's your dictatorial version. The next thing you'd want outlawed would be loud pounding stereos and cellphone use while driving. If it weren't for loud pipes those pukes wouldn't here you coming. I've chosen a Stebel Nautilus in lieu of pipes; I suppose you'd wish to outlaw them (130dB) or those air horns playing Dixie? Personally, I don't care for loud pipes but I won't infringe on your choice; unless you chose to hold hands with your boyfriend on my property. But, I'm not intolerant. :hammer:

[ This message was edited by: HeR3tic on 2006-12-19 18:32 ]

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Jardine has gotten back to me. They have baffles to reduce the db's on the Jardines. I ordered a couple and will see how many db's it takes it down. $35.00 per baffle.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts