Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are going away again sailing at the end of May for 5 months.

I am looking for suggestions on how to keep the battery on my Speedmaster in top condition.

I don't want to leave it connected to a charger for that amount of time. Would it be okay to connect it through a charger and a timer set for a certain length of time each day? If so for how long?

The charger I have available is a 4amp. That says battery minimum size is 20amph.

·
30,527 Posts
Probably better off buying an optimate or simliar battery tender - these trickle a small charge into the battery and monitor the voltage, so as to not overcharge it. I don't think they are that expensive - a worthwhile investment. I believe Triumph now offer the Optimate as a genuine accessory - most likely at an inflatory price though.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I ve alwayse left my bikes, 4 wheelers, cars on batterytenders sometimes for months at a time and have never had a problem they have a feature to where they will not over charge the battery.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Battery Tender

I have a battery tender on mine, it has a trickle charge and only comes on when the need requires. It is not expensive and means you won't overcharge and risk damage to the battery or worse. Motorcyles, boats, skidoos and seadoos all have battery requirements that are the same so phone around and check auto supply stores for a good deal.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks for the info. I am going into town in the morning and all our auto stores are all close together. I can have a good look at whats available. One thing I don't need is a stuffed battery when we return in December. I usually get a friend to drive my 4x4 once a week to keep it charged. No way is he riding my bike.:eek:

·
Premium Member
8,211 Posts
I have to correct some unintentional mistakes here:

Battery tenders are not trickle chargers.

You cannot charge a Triumph battery from Yuasa that has an "X" in the part number with a trickle charger or conventional charger for that matter.

If your battery has a "YTX" prefix then it is an AGM battery and AGM batteries must be charged by a voltage regulated charger. Your charger must say "safe for AGM" batteries on it. It's not a matte of amps, its a matter of voltage.

A Bettery Tender is a small charger that sends 900ma at 14.4 volts to the battery. When the battery is at full charge (12.6v) the tender goes into a float mode where is just monitors the batteries voltage. When the battery drops to below 12.4v the tender charges it up to 12.6 again. As the batteyr sits the tender will switch to a third mode and send pulses to the battery which stop sulfating and plate scaling. They are cheap and worth every penny.

A trickle charger just sends the set amperage to the battery and keeps doing that until it is turned off or turns off through an automatic setting. It doesn't turn back on when you battery drops down and if there battery isn't taking the set voltage it pushes the amps buy upping the voltage. Its not uncommon to see over 16v from a 12 trickle charger. That will melt the glass mats in your AGM battery.

Battery tender all the way for battery maintenance.

·
30,527 Posts
That's good clarification Calliway, thanks.

A true battery tender is what you want, but if you can't get one, just disconnect the battery altogether. Calliway is right, you don't want to be constantly dumping a charge in for all that time. My bad, I did not properly sort out my terminology.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Guys, I bought a battery tender from my local auto parts store A$42. Well worth it to keep my battery up to scratch.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts