Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm in the market for a steering damper for my '04 Daytona 955i. I was wondering if anyone here has one that they recommend or share some knowledge on which ones to stay away from :)

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
692 Posts
I know my post does not supply any answers to this thread. However, I just was curious if this means the 955i may have a tendency to sometimes shake its head, and so I hope that this possibility will also be addressed by 955i owners. My D12 has never done this, so I would never add a steering damper, but prospective 955i buyers might wish to know about this possibility.

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
activeseven, If a T595/D955i is headshaking, there's something wrong and a steering dampener may just band aid the problem. Faults can be in the rear suspension, overall suspension set up, loose headbearings and/or tires, to name a few.

Brad

·
Registered
3,617 Posts
I thought my '05 needed a dampner for awhile too. I adjusted the front end rebound a bit after the bike broke in and it was extremely stable after that. I had a fat ass mechanic stiffen up the rear end too much once because when he test rode it he didn't like it. The guy had 80 lbs on me and I thought the bike was messed up until I got it dialed back to my spec. Do yourself a favor, instead of dropping $200.00/$400.00 on a dampner, have a REAL suspension pro dial it in for you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I'm actually in the market for a damper also...but I'm using my 955 as a track/race bike. Is there a radial mount kit available for a Scott's or GPR damper? Can one be retrofit from something like a 675?

·
Premium Member
3,434 Posts
CYLax, You might not need one. The DSSA '02 has a steeper head angle than a SSSA model and did great at the track. I'd try it on a track day first.

Brad

·
Registered
27 Posts
I bought one from http://skykingproducts.com it doesn't look like there selling them anymore (the guy that runs skyking designs and fabricates everything himself so he could probably make one for you if you called). It's the ohlins linear damper with a custom fab'd mount to fit our bikes. The quality of the mount is top notch. I did have to switch the clipons to heli (plus a longer clutch cable) for proper clearance but that was something I was going to do anyways. With some fidgeting I got everything to go lock to lock smoothly.

Was it worth it? I think so, it's probably the best mod i've done to my bike. I live in the midwest with huge potholes around every turn, I can hit them leaned out and not even break a sweat. The damper has saved my ass many times.

I could not imagine riding a bike without a damper, street or track, unfortanatly with everything Triumph we just have to pay more for the mod.

·
Registered
108 Posts
CYLax, You might not need one. The DSSA '02 has a steeper head angle than a SSSA model and did great at the track. I'd try it on a track day first.

Brad
Heh...I've got quite a few track days done on this bike already. It's the SSSA model, CE edition (not that it matters). I do find I get a little head shake coming out of a few corners when the front tire gets light, not enough to wheelie, but enough that it shakes more than I'd like. Coming over steep crests at WOT throws me into a bit of a shake also. I had similar issue with the 675 and a damper helped that out quite a bit (stock damper was junk).

I'll be racing CRA and CCS this year on this bike and might try to sneak in a WERA event also...which requires a steering damper.

I was hoping to find a radial mount, but it's not looking like there is one available.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I live in the midwest with huge potholes around every turn, I can hit them leaned out and not even break a sweat. The damper has saved my ass many times.
This is exactly why i am considering a steering damper, here in New Jersey we have some potholes so deep you can lose an entire car in. Not to mention we drive into New York as well.

There is no problem with the bike, I just wanna minimize my risks while riding cause there are sometimes when so much of my attention is spent pothole dodging and not watching other cars.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts