Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took the Daytona for a spin today, went about 20 miles and as I got back to town it started sounding like my valve adjustment had suddenly loosened up. The (working) oil pressure light did not come on, and as I was less than half a mile from home I continued. Checking things over I found no leaks, plenty of oil in the tank, the hose to the steel line that feeds the rockers not kinked, normal oil return at idle visible below tank lid. I loosened the oil line fitting to the front rocker box and idled the engine for 30 seconds - no oil leaked out.
What next? ...hope I didn't damage anything.:(

·
Premium Member
4,721 Posts
There won't be much pressure in the rocker spindle feed line at idle.Even at 3000 rpm,it might only be 0.5 psi.
Pump some oil into the rocker spindle feed line with an oil can.That will ease your conscience and give enough oil to run for a few minutes.There should be enough pressure in the line to lift oil about 1 foot above the rocker spindles when the engine oil is warm.Put a hose on the tank fitting and see how high you can hold the other end of the hose and still get oil coming out.
Test it with the engine cold,and you should have more pressure than that.Test it again when the engine is warm.You can increase the oil to the rockers if you restrict the 7/32" return hole at the tank.I often push a 2.5 mmm wire into the return pipe at the tank,to get about 25% more oil to the rockers.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm thinking there must be a blockage somewhere. There's not much to the rocker oil feed, just the hose and the metal line, and when I ran it with the front banjo fitting and it's copper washers very loose, no oil at all came out. Shouldn't it leak like that? Guess I'll pull off the lines and check...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts