1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
648 Posts
Wish I lived closer to Iowa. Definitely sucks to be that guy!!
The seller says he'll load it (ship it).
If the forks are straight this would be a cheap fix.
The problem with buying it in Ca is it needs 7,000 miles to re-register it in this state.

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Youch. Let's hope he is around to get another, or at least collect the insurance money. :eek:

·
Driftless Admin
2008 Bonneville Black
11,927 Posts
I doubt the milleage though. Seems like a lot of blueing of the pipes for 400 miles. With the speedo broken open like that it was probably just too much of a temptation to roll it back.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I doubt the milleage though. Seems like a lot of blueing of the pipes for 400 miles. With the speedo broken open like that it was probably just too much of a temptation to roll it back.
Very True! I have 431 miles on my '09 and you can hardly see any discoloration at all. Some say the new EFI '09's have double wall head pipes. Anyone know for sure?

·
Registered
1,772 Posts
Looks like it still has the AI installed.

In which case the bluing is probably nothing out of the ordinary. Anyway, most folk report that most of the bluing happens pretty soon.

·
Registered
648 Posts
AI is still installed on my bike as well but it doesn't show much discoloration at all. I've ridden it pretty hard too.

·
Driftless Admin
2008 Bonneville Black
11,927 Posts
I still have my AI installed (it'll come out this winter) and with 5000 miles not nearly that much bluing. Who knows, maybe that much bluing can happen in the first 400 miles though. But I will still hold steadfastly to my opinion, although not based on information or knowledge, that the mileage was messed with. Opinions are so much the better when meaningless and uninformed. :)

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

·
Registered
1,772 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Just three weeks ago there was a thread about a '07 T100 with little over 500 on the clock. It was blued beyond the second bend.
http://www.triumphrat.net/twins-technical-talk/98897-newbie-w-tor-header-and-ai-questions.html

Definitely not uncommon. Others - even some with AI - report hardly any bluing. It is probably dependent on jetting, altitude, humidity, etc. It seems to be the consensus on this board that most bluing happens pretty soon.
Maybe deep bluing is uncommon on bikes with EFI and AI? Anyone out there with a EFI bike that has blued pipes?

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
I don't know about the EFI bikes but, I watch the pipes turning color
on my 2001 Bonny the first time I started it up at the dealers.
They were blue by the time I got her home which was only about
8 miles.

Bill

·
Registered
673 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My bike (also a 2007) had 17 miles on it when I got it from the dealer with the AI intact and the pipes were bluer than those in the picture. I gotta believe the 95 degree summers with 99% humidity in Florida don't help engine temperatures in traffic or the blueing of the pipes. My bike does run better when it's hot outside.

I just hope the dude got off the bike before that tank dent came about.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Blue Pipes on my 2009

My 09 Anniversary pipes turned blue on the first ride. I live in hawaii, maybe it's the heat and humidity. After 500 miles they have only turned a little bit bluer. I rode really easy on it during break in, especially that first ride. It's bone stock. My 71 T100 has blue pipes too so I don't mind them.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
Origanally Posted by Xchopper;
The problem with buying it in Ca is it needs 7,000 miles to re-register it in this state.
What's with Ca. and all there bizare rules and regulations?
Is "Arnold" trying to protect the car dealers, or just prevent people from freedom of choice to buy what they want where they want.
:angrysoapbox:
I am so glad I live in the wild west, no helmet law, no MC emissions testing, no state inspection. If it rolls, ride it.
This is not a personal attack on you Xchopper, just the state of CA.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Origanally Posted by Xchopper;

What's with Ca. and all there bizare rules and regulations?
Is "Arnold" trying to protect the car dealers, or just prevent people from freedom of choice to buy what they want where they want.
:angrysoapbox:
I am so glad I live in the wild west, no helmet law, no MC emissions testing, no state inspection. If it rolls, ride it.
This is not a personal attack on you Xchopper, just the state of CA.
Thanks for your thoughtfulness ;)

It has to do with the smog control requirements being different in other states and Ca trying to avoid people beating the emissions controls requirements by bringing new, out of state vehicles into Ca.
As far as the motorcycle laws in Calif., they're actually looser than a lot of other states. Ca has no motorcycle emissions testing or state inspections either. We are required to wear D.O.T. helmets but I don't have a problem with that. I would never ride without a (legal) helmet anyway... They have saved my life several times already when I was young. I would be paranoid to ride without one now. :cool:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts