Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was just on Triumph's facebook page, and they have a picture of this custom Thunderbird from Sucker Punch Sally's on there that is being shown at the Edmonton Motorcycle Show. I'm not always a fan of the distressed look, and I'm generally not a fan of hardtail customs. But I rather like the looks of this one. What do you think, Thunderbird fans? I'd add gaiters on the forks (and probably skip the distressed paint).

And a little video about the bike being built, just for grins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OKzrJFn-Zls

You'll have to click the link if you want to see it, because I don't know how to embed video.

Anyway.

·
Registered
684 Posts
What I do like: They did a great job in making it look like an old bike from the 1950's. It really does capture that era.

What I don't like: The fake distressed look has always seemed kind of stupid to me. Something either really is old and worn, or it's not. I also don't think the brake rotors look quite right, although I do concede that it is hard to make brake rotors fit a '50's era theme.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
I like it. This is the sort of thing I have been waiting to see, a true custom Thunderbird. I would also like to see a sport bike version, with all the aero ergos and that big-ass grunty motor.

·
Banned
26 Posts
......definitely nostalgic looking. I really like the feel of the bike. It says nostalgia but should run a whole lot better and longer ! Love old bikes but the maintenance is the killer for me, it never ends ! A truly realistic approach to obtaining a piece of history----good balance between authenticity and putting up with incessant maintenance.
....When you get one built, please post pics !

·
Registered
442 Posts
So I was just on Triumph's facebook page, and they have a picture of this custom Thunderbird from Sucker Punch Sally's on there that is being shown at the Edmonton Motorcycle Show. I'm not always a fan of the distressed look, and I'm generally not a fan of hardtail customs. But I rather like the looks of this one. What do you think, Thunderbird fans? I'd add gaiters on the forks (and probably skip the distressed paint).

And a little video about the bike being built, just for grins.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=OKzrJFn-Zls

You'll have to click the link if you want to see it, because I don't know how to embed video.

Anyway.
If mine came back looking like that I would hang the people who did it!!!!

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
...What I don't like: The fake distressed look has always seemed kind of stupid to me. Something either really is old and worn, or it's not. I also don't think the brake rotors look quite right, although I do concede that it is hard to make brake rotors fit a '50's era theme.
Amen!!!

What also drives me crazy (non bike related) is when they make guitars looked "worn". About as stupid as paying someone to kick you in the family jewels...

·
Registered
161 Posts
I am into Bobbers but they really fouled the exhaust. The artificial scuffing is uncalled for also. I can see a soft tail version of a Thunderbird though. Oh, look! They put a testicle remover on the tank. Not nice!

·
Registered
892 Posts
Like the lines but the "Recovered from a Burned Out Garage Look" don't work for me. Of course if it showed up in my drive needing a home.......I'd get used to it.

·
Banned
26 Posts
Amen!!!

What also drives me crazy (non bike related) is when they make guitars looked "worn". About as stupid as paying someone to kick you in the family jewels...
Gotta agree on the "worn" guitars ! I've played for years and none of mine look as "worn" as the Fender antique looking ones ---- but------except for the paint on the cycle it does look "nostalgic" and I sorta like it ! Nix, on the jewel kicking ! !

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Like the lines but the "Recovered from a Burned Out Garage Look" don't work for me. Of course if it showed up in my drive needing a home.......I'd get used to it.
Yeah, the whole worn look is a bit silly. I definitely agree on the worn-looking line of Fender guitars--ridiculous.

Anyone notice the mid-mount controls?

·
Premium Member
645 Posts
Not only does it look like a bike from the 50's, it looks like a bike you would have found in the clunkers yard out the back.
Nothing to like about it IMHO.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
It should be reported to the Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To Motorcycles; they should seize it and try to nurse it back to some semblance of "normal". A nice coat of glossy blue and white paint would be a start. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts