Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I took a liking to the Suburban Machinery Bars when people started posting about them recently. I just picked up a pair on eBay. They retail for $150. I got mine used, but in perfect condition, for $102.

They are about 2.5 inches shorter than stock and the riding position is more agressive (forward and down). But certainly not bad on the back (but then again, I've got long arms).

It took me about 1:15 to get them installed and everything reassembled. Nobody has had a chance to post pics of them on the S3 that I remember, so here are mine. Sorry for the crapola pics...not a very good photographer:

Here they are out of the box:

Seem to have some good welds:

From the back:

From the front:

From the left:

From the right:

Full lock:

Bloody thumb from pulling hard to full lock while parking and getting it jambed between the tank and turn signal box. D*amn!:

Haven't had a chance to ride with them yet...but looking forward to it.

Capt.

[ This message was edited by: Captain_Rat on 2006-11-14 15:37 ]

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
If anyone else is thinking about these, I should have added that installation was pretty easy. There are 2 pre-drilled holes in the bars, but they are meant for the SV650 controls. However, the hole on the left side of the bar was a good placement for our signal box nub (my technical term). I had to sand down the nub in the kill switch box because it didn't line up and I didn't want to drill the bars.

Capt.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Looks good captain!!

You say those are SV650 bars...are they type I or type II? I've got the type II's on my sv right now and was thinking about putting them on the Triple, but I'm a little afraid of clearance issues.

Do they actually hit the tank at full lock or just close enough to mash you thumb?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
On 2006-11-14 16:28, RevBuddyWinkler wrote:
Looks good captain!!

You say those are SV650 bars...are they type I or type II? I've got the type II's on my sv right now and was thinking about putting them on the Triple, but I'm a little afraid of clearance issues.

Do they actually hit the tank at full lock or just close enough to mash you thumb?
They are the Type II's. Full lock is just close enough to mash my thumb, but don't make contact with the tank. Mine's an '02, so our tanks are slightly different, but we have '05+ guys on here that have them and reported no clearance issues, so I think you're okay.

Capt.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Questions for you others about how my tupperware brake reservoir is now situated. As you can see from the 3rd pic down, the reservoir is almost vertical while the bike is leaned over on the kick stand. When I place the bike vertically, the reservoir will obvioulsy be slanted slightly to the right. Will I have any issues if I leave it like this?

Capt.

·
Registered
452 Posts
as my brethren across the pond would say, those bars are the dogs bullocks. The shiznit!!

I've had clip-ons, bit too low...standard bar, much too high... SM bars look juuuuust right. Hope they'll clear ok on my '99.

·
Registered
464 Posts
On 2006-11-15 11:18, Captain_Rat wrote:
Questions for you others about how my tupperware brake reservoir is now situated. As you can see from the 3rd pic down, the reservoir is almost vertical while the bike is leaned over on the kick stand. When I place the bike vertically, the reservoir will obvioulsy be slanted slightly to the right. Will I have any issues if I leave it like this?

Capt.
I had the same issue when I installed my Tommaselli adjustable clubmans so I just bent the little black metal bracket that holds the tupperware resevoir on a bias so that it was level when the bike is upright and the front wheel is straight. I took it off and put it diagonally in a vice and whacked it with a rubber mallet a few times but bending it on the bike with your thumb and forefinger would likely do the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts