Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

For the specs oriented I’d like to share some test results from local magazines, also converted to US customary units
Stwin (Mag A) STwin (Mag B) Bonnie T120 (Mag B)
Peak HP at wheel 49.8 51.4 73.7
Rpms at peak HP 6000 5900 6200
Peak Torque at wheel (Nm) 71.2 74.0 97.2
Peak Torque at wheel (lbs ft) 52.5 54.6 71.7
Rpms at peak Torque 3200 3100 3300
Top speed in km/h 185 186 191
Indicated in km/h *** 194 197
Top speed in mph 115.0 115.6 118.7
Indicated in mph *** 120.5 122.4
Acceleration (metric)
0-400 m time in seconds 13.6 13.6 12.8
0-100 km/h time in seconds *** 5.1 4.2
Acceleration in USC
Quarter mile + 7.7ft, t in seconds 13.6 13.6 12.8
0-62 mph time in seconds *** 5.1 4.2
Weight in kg with full tank *** 217 245
Weight in lbs with full tank *** 478.4 540.1
Braking from 100km/h distance in m *** 37.8 40.8
Braking from 62mph distance in ft *** 124 133 ft 10 in
Extra-urban fuel economy (km/l) 22.5 18.9 17.2
Extra-urban fuel economy (mpg) 52.92 44.46 40.46

Cheers!

·
Registered
66 Posts
The performance gain of a Bonneville against a Street Twin for the price difference makes the Street Twin the winner in my books ,also most magazines find the handling of the Street Twin better.

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Street Twin
2,422 Posts
The performance gain of a Bonneville against a Street Twin for the price difference makes the Street Twin the winner in my books ,also most magazines find the handling of the Street Twin better.
I'd agree, after owning a series of 2015 and earlier Bonnevilles. Now I am a Street Twin owner who appreciates the new bike's ergonomics, seating comfort, ride and handling. I'd also note the more sporty styling appeals to me over the T120.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
Good illustration of the square/cube or diminishing returns laws.

The T120 needs around 48% more power and 35% greater torque to achieve just 3% greater speed and 10% better acceleration.

Hard figures tend to produce such results, however the "feel" of riding one is probably completely different and being an abstract thing, can't be measured.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
The weight of the Bonneville is cancelling out quite a bit of the power advantage it has over the Street Twin. The number quoted most often is 7 lbs.= 1 HP as far as quarter mile acceleration is concerned. So the Bonneville loses about 9 of it's extra 22 rwhp to the extra poundage.
Even so, 4.2 to 62 MPH and 12.8 seconds in the quarter is not exactly hanging about. With all of the low end as well, it probably feels like ample power and then some.

Glen

·
Registered
23 Posts
13.6 vs 12.8 over the quarter mile is a significant margin really... the T120 would be well in front of the ST.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
For me the decision to buy the T120 was easy: I waited 13 long years for a new Bonneville that's as close to my T100 as possible in styling, quality, and philosophy, but with the power, comfort, and gearing issues fixed. The ST is just less bike. That said, the rumored 2017 T100 certainly has me intrigued!

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
When are we going to start calling this bike the 'Sweet Twin'?

Reactions: Scrambler900

·
Registered
201 Posts
I test rode the street twin which I must add I thought was a charming ride, felt really good and I can see why people really like it, I did however feel it could do with a bit more oomph

I was buying the t120 so when I got to test ride that I felt I'd did feel like it had a lot more oomph than the street twin, and I didn't just feel a little more, it felt a lot more, put it this way I didn't do as many overtakes on the street twin as I did on the t120

So you can put it down to numbers but to me it defiantly felt like the t120 had an advantage over the street twin

·
Registered
11 Posts
I test rode the street twin which I must add I thought was a charming ride, felt really good and I can see why people really like it, I did however feel it could do with a bit more oomph

I was buying the t120 so when I got to test ride that I felt I'd did feel like it had a lot more oomph than the street twin, and I didn't just feel a little more, it felt a lot more, put it this way I didn't do as many overtakes on the street twin as I did on the t120
I had a similar experience as you--I went in pretty confident that I'd end up wanting the Street Twin, but I wanted to consider the T120 just in case the Street Twin wasn't enough of a step up from my starter bike (a 650cc BMW). Test rode both of 'em back to back, and my conclusion was that while the Street Twin was everything I expected it to be (and more), I'd definitely be happier long term with the T120--partially because of the step up in power, and partially because the ergo for the T120 is so much better for me.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Probably should keep in mind that these motorcycles are tuned for power and torque in real-world riding where it counts. These are large displacement engines and downshifting to pass is mostly optional. Plenty of power and speed for public roads. Triumph has other motorcycles for those who visit racetracks.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Triumph needs a street twin with the thruxton r suspension, twin throttle bodies for a little more oomph, redline @10K rpm's , 4.5 gal tank, same tire sizing with the aluminum wheels, six speed tranny, dual front discs, msrp @ $10.5K and I'd be all in. Call it the street twin S.
Does it feel like there's a gear missing between 2nd and 3rd?

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Street Twin
2,422 Posts
13.6 vs 12.8 over the quarter mile is a significant margin really... the T120 would be well in front of the ST.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Maybe, in a straight drag race. But what about riding "the Dragon"? in the mountains of North Carolina? I think the Street Twin's lighter weight and more sporty riding position gives it the advantage over the T120 when the road gets twisty. We don't all ride on the flat, straight plains of Kansas.

·
Registered
201 Posts
That's right and when you look at a track day the guys on the super sport 600s will be faster than the guys on 1000cc machines due to weight

As said before with these bikes it's all about style and preference

If your buying these bikes to be quick your looking at the wrong range of bikes

1 - 20 of 41 Posts