Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey All,

I'm 6'3", 210 lbs (and not all muscle :razz: ). I've been able to get the rear suspension of my S4 set up to my liking, but the front suspension just feels too soft. The biggest thing That I notice is a lot of brake dive...

One of my friends suggested that I put spacers in the forks to stiffen the front end. Has anyone done this? What did you use? I was thinking some kind of PVC pipe cut to 1/2" or so might do the job.

BTW - I've played with all the settings - the best I've acheived is with the preload cranked all the way in, compression damping 1/2 turn out from full, and rebout 2 turns out. The fork feels like it's too firm on large potholes and such already, but the bike still dives through most of its travel when on the brakes entering corners.

I'm not averse to a fix that's not a hack, but I won't be able to get if for a few months, so a hack fix for the time being would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

·
Registered
907 Posts
im listening too....my forks feel way soft since i put in that new rear shock..

·
Registered
2,741 Posts
How much sag are you getting from the forks under your static weight...measure the fork leg compression with you on the bike & the difference with you off (bike unladen)...you can use a "loose" wire tie around one of the fork legs to get the difference if you don't have a helper.

Spacers will cure fork sag, but won't help the spring rate.

Heaver fork oil will stiffen the compression damping, but won't cure the spring rate.

·
Registered
851 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll do an official check when (if ever) it stops raining here on the east coast. Until them I'll be working on my Ark :razz:

This rain is absolutely killing me - I need to do some work on my bike to get it back on the road, but I can't do that until it stops raining for a few hours.

I wouldn't mind going for a ride in the rain, but I can't even do that :mad:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts