Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I warned you in the title. I am sure this comes up from time to time, but I could really use some advice.

I currently ride a Harley FXDX, which won't mean much if you don't know much about Harleys. It was not a very popular model, not enough chrome, more of a rider's bike, and was discontinued several years ago. Anyway, I have owned mine for about six years and have spent that time making it fit me and the way I like to ride as best as I can. I have discovered that I would like something sportier though.

I live in Florida and my favorite ride is my annual trip to NC to ride in the mountains. So, I want a bike I can ride from Florida to NC (about 600 miles) and then have fun in the twisties when I get there. I think the Sprint would fit that bill.

My main concern is the heat. I have heard the heat can be pretty bad. Living in Florida, it is quite hot here most of the year and I don't think I will enjoy a bike that cooks me. I need some honest answers here. A good bit of my riding falls into the commuting category and I don't normally wear leather for that. Will the bike cook me in jeans? I have been told the Tiger is not as hot as the Sprint. Would I be better off with the Tiger?

Also, I am on a budget and I found what looks to be a good deal on a 2006. Have there been many changes in the bike since then? Would I be better off saving longer and getting a newer one?

I have been riding a long time, but I am very new to anything Triumph, so any info you can give me would be appreciated.

Dan

·
Premium Member
24,388 Posts
Welcome

Not a dumb question at all.:)

Hi and welcome to the Sprint forum here DynaSport.

You do realise if you buy a Sprint you will have to change your handle don't you!:D

The Sprint is a far more capable bike than the FXDX, in pretty much any situation and is sportier by a country mile.

There is absolutely no issue with doing 1000miles if your bum can take it, the bike certainly won't have an issue with it.:rolleyes:

As for heat, there are bikes on the market that are much worse than a Sprint, ie an R1.
There are things you can do about it. A search will bring all that up.

I live in a hot climate (in the summer anyway 30-40 degrees C) here in Brisvagas and I have never had a heat issue and I only ride in full leathers. Do I get hot? yes in traffic I do but I avoid that like the plague!

All fully faired bikes dump heat on one leg or the other in heavy traffic on hot humid days.

enjoy the forum
DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Although I ride a Sprint ST and live in S. Florida, I would probably recommend you go with the Tiger.

Same engine, no fairing lowers to direct heat at your legs and, most importantly, the riding position won't be such a huge shock to your system. After 6 years on that Dyna, even what HD considers to be a sporting riding position, you will have adapted to a certain set of ergonomics. The Tiger will be quite a bit different (more sporting) and the Sprint an order of magnitude different.

I find mine to be comfy and relaxed but, I have been riding sporting type bikes for the last 50 years or so. I modified most of mine to be sporting long before there really were sporty bikes.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
I could be wrong, but I think pretty much any big twin is gonna do a better job of cooking you than a Sprint would. I've had no complaints about heat from my '04 RS after my first month in Texas, FWIW.

Somebody better versed in the 1050s will have to tell you what the differences are from '05 to '09, but there's nothing that sticks in my mind besides higher bars in '09 and a "heat kit" and some sort of change to the seat somewhere along the line. Oh, and rust... er, uhh, metal tanks replaced plastic in '08, so there's a reason to go with the older one.

I would personally make the call between the ST and the Tiger by inseam. I have a 32" inseam and consider myself borderline for the Tiger. <32" I would definitely go Sprint, >32" I would think real hard about the Tiger.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the very helpful replies. It's interesting to read the comment about the Big Twin putting off more heat. I hear comments all along about how much heat they put off, but I feel NO heat from mine. Well, as long as I'm not grabbing the pipes or something like that. In normal riding I don't get any heat. I think the heat must be more of an issue on the newer ones with the bigger engine or maybe it is on the touring ones with the fairing, I'm not really sure.

Anyway, so I am getting that the riding position on the Tiger will be less of a change, but that it is a taller bike. Funny, I have a 32' inseam, which puts me right at the cut off point apparently. Thanks for the help guys.

Dan

·
Registered
32 Posts
Like DaveM said, stationary you will be hot on any bike in the summer. I ride my 2006 ATGATT and don't have a problem with the heat in traffic.

If you can get a deal on a 2006 I would take that rather than waiting and spending more on a new bike. If you decide down the road the Sprint is not for you, it is easier to get your money back from a used one.

I think you will like it though. You might want to think about bar risers if you are concerned about riding position.

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
First point is which tiger? Tiger 955 or Tiger 1050? They are very different bikes. Tiger 1050 is the more touring version of the Sprint 1050 but is still surprisingly quick. Believe the factory has made some changes to the sprint fairing to keep the heat away from the legs but not until after 06. I had an early sprint 1050 and it did cook my legs when stopped in traffic on a hot day. The Tiger does not do this.
Tiger 1050 also has a softer ride especially at the front. Can do 300 miles/day on back roads on tiger and still feel fresh. Once did 600 miles in a day. It was the earlier Tiger 955 which needed 32in inside leg. I have 29 inch inside leg and can put both feet flat on the ground on the 1050. I have the low seat. The tiger 955 is also a lot heavier than either the tiger 1050 or the sprint 1050. There are also a couple of ways of lowering the tiger 1050 by further 1inch at little cost.
Both bikes are excellent just a choice of sportier feel or more comfort. Why not try a dealer test ride.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Living in South Africa heat is an issue. I have been riding the Sprint for two years now and find that in the summer when our temperatures are in the region of 29 to 30 deg C my legs do get hot in traffic but once you are moving the heat dissipates. I feel some exhaust heat in summer as well under the right thigh. I always wear protective gear as well which by the nature of the protection they offer causes discomfort anyway. I use an airflow jacket in the summer and X Kulcha protective jeans. I have not ridden the tiger for any length of time but would imagine that the lack of fairing will keep your legs cooler.

·
Registered
3,152 Posts
Dynasport,

I went from a FXRS to a Sprint, and have never regretted it. I too, did all I could to the Harley to improve its power and handling, but in the end found the bike wanting.

Both bikes (ALL bikes) put off a substantial amount of heat. The difference is that the fairing on the Sprint directs the heat toward the rear. I found the ('05) 1050 ST almost cooked my right shin, whereas my '03 isn't so bad.

I don't know where you are located, but here in Baja 'Bama, sitting at the traffic lights for a decent chunk of eternity in the Summer is just awful. And that applies to any bike I've been on.

I love the ST, but the new Tiger is an awesome bike.

Good Luck!

pr

·
Registered
1,756 Posts
Dyna,

One thing you can do to lower the heat is changing out the stock exhaust. The underseat cat can bottle up the heat.

Another possible option if you aren't going to tour a lot would be the Speed Triple with soft luggage. And you wouldn't have to change ergos that much at all. Rus Cook, a forum member here, has had all three models and he liked the S3 best, even for touring. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
16,670 Posts
Just to clarify: I was talking about the stock Tiger 1050 when I said 32" inseam is borderline.

Cheers,
-Kit

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I've made the run from N/C back to Orlando in one long day. Only stopping for fuel and some ear plugs.That was a twelve hour day not counting the run to Deals Gap and back form Cherokee first. And I went for a short ride the next day.

As for the heat, I just wear riding boots and Levis (and leather jacket & gloves) and it does not hurt/burn my leg. But like pushrOd said it gets HOT sitting at a light. Especially when the fan turns on.

The forward cant of the Sprint may kill you for awhile but you'd get used to it real quick.

Go for the Sprint!

·
Premium Member
24,388 Posts
Like I said
any litre sports tourer or sports bike that is fully faired will get hot in heavy traffic or at lights in 30-40 C degree heat.

The Sprint is not the worst by any stretch.

DaveM:cool:

·
Registered
509 Posts
I agree with DaveM on the heat. I came off a Honda Blackbird before getting my Sprint ST. Unfortunate choice of words but that is exactly what I did. 75 mph get off on a freeway in Indiana last labor day. That bike would cook you pretty good in stop and go traffic as not only did the fairing allow heat to get to your legs and wedding tackle, but also, when the fan came on, which it would just stopping for a traffic light, it blew hot air right up the tank and into your face.

So no, the Sprint is far from the worst. I'm a big believer in full gear every time I ride, so I'm either in my Aerostitch 1 pc Roadcrafter or my new to me Triumph Sympatex suit. Tourmaster waterproof boots, long gauntlet gloves and a full face helmet. I'm sweating from March to December when at home. On the road, it depends where I am and what season it is. Thus attired, a little more heat from the engine just doesn't matter and it is really only an issue in stop and go traffic. Once over 35 or so, aerodynamics take over and I don't feel much of anything.

BTW, a cooling vest that you can soak in water really helps when you are doing a long day in the heat. Even an old sweat shirt, cut down just above the belly to keep too much water from dripping down your backside, can work quite well. It dries out too fast with a mesh jacket but works wonders under a 'Stitch since you have more control of the venting.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Better than my last ride

I've had my '09 sprint for about six weeks. The riding position is great and you'll get used it quickly because it is on the toury side of sports like my old zzr1100. The fact that it is so rider friendly and suits fast riding and touring is why you should adapt easily.

As for the heat, I traded my FJR1300 on the Sprint and the Sprint is way cooler rhan the Yammy. Although earlier models supposedly had a problem with heat I am yet to notice this even in traffic, mind you I haven't ridden it on a really hot day only mild Autumn days in Oz at the moment.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You guys have given some really helpful advice and I really appreciate it. I have rethought my finances and I think I am about three months away from having the money I want set aside for the purchase. Maybe a bit more depending on how things go, but at least by October. At that point I will be able to pay cash and keep my Dyna, which I want to do, at least for now. If I get a new bike and find I no longer ride my Dyna, all the better as I can sell it then. But, if I decide that at times I still want to ride the Dyna for any reason, I'll be able to. I just know I have sold things in the past and later regretted it.

One alternative would be to get something like the Speed Triple or maybe the Street Triple, which are really different from my Dyna and see how that goes. My Dyna is really set up for comfortable touring as well with a really comfortable set and a windshield that works for me, so if I got one of the Triples and found I didn't like to tour on it, I could still take my Dyna. Really though, whatever I buy I want to be able to ride at least 300 miles at a stretch on without hating it. I have done an Iron Butt Saddle Sore 1000 on my Dyna with no complaints. It just can't hang in the twisties like I'd like to. I know part of that is my lack of skill, but part is the bike. I am tired of getting passed in the mountains by guys on BMWs!!!!!

In a lot of ways though, I still think the Sprint might be best for me. I will just have to see how bad the heat is and try to deal with it or fix it. The new Tiger may be better for me in some ways, but I just can't seem to get as excited about it. I have also considered the BMW GS, but they are pretty pricey, even used. I am also partial to the Buell Ulysses. I have ridden them several times and really enjoyed them. I know they vibrate, but I am pretty used to that on my Harley and don't mind it a bit. I kind of equate it with being on a motorcycle actually. I know others hate it though. It's good that we are not all the same is my thought.

Anyway, thanks again. You guys have been very kind to this newb and I appreciate it.

Dan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Know you have already heard a lot...

but just to "chime in". I rode a Fat Boy for almost 7 years before switching to an '06 Sprint. Night and day difference. My original plan was to keep the Harley, but after 9 months of riding the Sprint exclusively I decided to sell my "garage art". Nothing against Harley's, I just prefer the Sprint over my past Harley's in a big way. I will admit I do notice a lot more heat, even with after market exhaust, and I miss having good night lighting (but that can be addressed). Still, I feel like I have started riding again for the first time some days on my Triumph.....it is awesome!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts