Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 08 Thruxton that has no mechanical mods on it at this point...Im waiting for the warranty to run up before I begin to Frankenstein...;)
( I work in a Honda auto service department and know that our dealership can refuse to do warranty repairs if that stuff is involved)

Anyway...Der Stuka...I live in a state with four seasons...so near the end of this last fall my bike started making this horrible noise...it literaly sounds like a friggen stuka bomber coming in for a dive...

It appears to be mechanical and not a rattle or wind noise...everything I can tighten has been...it doesnt seem to be gear related...

The noise starts around 5k...stays up through all gears...through down shifting...and stops...like turning off a switch at 3k to 2.5k...

Bike runs fine...does the TON on old RT 66 like it wants to...

Fellas?

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Loose landing gear?
It doesnt have landing gear...if it did I would have tightened it...unless you were talking about TIE Fighters and they dont have landing gear they drop from... ...Hey wait a second...you were having a go...

You would think Id want it to make that noise...:D

·
Registered
103 Posts
Does this noise come on under load or even reving it in neutral?

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No noise reving in neutral...I believe it starts in 2nd and 3rd...

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
AT 5k you are rattling along doing what - 65?
At that speed I think

- wind roar
- vibration (mirrors vibing a bit)

Apart from that, I cant think anymore.
Wheel bearings gone?
Something like a Stuka - hmm, high pitched, whining
Dont like the sound of that - get it checked out!

·
Registered
151 Posts
No noise reving in neutral...I believe it starts in 2nd and 3rd...
Do you have a centerstand (or a lift or something else stable you can use to get the rear wheel off the ground)? If so, what happens if you put the bike in 2nd and rev it to 5K? That should help isolate whether it's in the engine, or a wind/wheel noise (or at least front wheel... although I've found wheel bearings often don't make us much noise if they're not under the stress of real riding. Your bike is awfully new to be having wheel-bearing issues anyway).

To isolate wheel noise - what happens if you disengage the clutch while the noise is happening and coast while the revs drop? I.e., does the noise stop at speed or definitely at revs?

How does the power delivery feel?

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AT 5k you are rattling along doing what - 65?
Something like a Stuka - hmm, high pitched, whining
Dont like the sound of that - get it checked out!
:D Well...not really 65mph...:eek:...Im winding it out pretty good from a dead stop...so the rpms are higher in the lower gears...2nd and 3rd...because Im moving out quickly...

The sound appears to be coming from the front of the bike...under the front of the fuel tank...

I plan on taking it in when the weather allows...but I know from my experience in the Service Department that squeeks and rattles are hard to diagnose...I guess I could have the tech ride next to me...

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
To isolate wheel noise - what happens if you disengage the clutch while the noise is happening and coast while the revs drop? I.e., does the noise stop at speed or definitely at revs?

How does the power delivery feel?
Still has the noise with the clutch in...Also tried holding the clutch in and down shifting to Neutral and back up into 3rd and 4th...nothing changes...the noise remains...but it stops as soon as the rpms get down to 3k - 2.5k...just stops :confused:

No problems with power...one of my gang has 05 Thruxton and we go neck and neck all the time...

·
Registered
918 Posts
Still has the noise with the clutch in...Also tried holding the clutch in and down shifting to Neutral and back up into 3rd and 4th...nothing changes...the noise remains...but it stops as soon as the rpms get down to 3k - 2.5k...just stops :confused:

No problems with power...one of my gang has 05 Thruxton and we go neck and neck all the time...

I don't know what your problem could be but I DID however want to chime in on your "Legend" quote. I sure do love that flick. Good luck to ya!

·
Registered
151 Posts
Need a little clarification. Earlier, you said it doesn't make the noise when you rev in neutral with the bike stopped. In this quote above, do you mean that the noise stops when you shift into neutral when the bike is moving, and then instantly returns when you shift up to 3rd or 4th? Or are you saying the noise remains the whole time as long as the revs are high enough?

What about the rear-wheel-off-the-ground and revving it in 3rd part? What happens then?

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
I DID however want to chime in on your "Legend" quote.
You have to love a movie where the Villians are trying to kill unicorns...:Devil3:

On the noise...what does a bad wheel bearing on a bike sound like...and does it cut on and off like this...

This is a shrill/banshee...while moving...if it were a bearing noise wouldnt it slow or decrease in volume as I slowed down...

...are you saying the noise remains the whole time as long as the revs are high enough?
Let me think about that...

...No?...:wacko:...I sound like one of my customers...I need to go on a test drive with a tech...:D

5k for the noise to start may have been a little high...although it does come out fairly soon from a dead stop...moving out with a purpose...like you were trying to beat the guy next to you to the next stop sign...

The noise will continue up through the gears and back down the gears until the rpms hit 2-3k...as Im slowing to a stop...

If I were to take off from a stop ...riding it hard again and getting it to a cruising/highway speed...I could apply the clutch and the noise would still be there...same with downshfting at that speed...still there...

Zero mph and reving the rpms up...no noise...

It has to do with the bike moving and the rpms...if it were a bearing noise...could it be both...:confused:

·
Registered
921 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
It has to do with the bike moving and the rpms...if it were a bearing noise...could it be both...:confused:
No, if it were a bearing, the revs would have nothing to do with it. It would make the same sound even if you were coasting.

I'm still wondering about what happens if you rev the bike in 3rd gear with the rear wheel off the ground.

I think this might be something that will be hard to diagnose without witnessing it first hand.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
I took the 09 thrux out today for a town and motorway thrash.
Tried to create the sound of a Stuka (Love that vid by the way of the military show).
Could not create anything other than silencer bark, silencer crack and pop on the overrun, and the whine of the engine as it is thrashed under power.
Beginning to think - erm, not a lot wrong with your bike.
If it is running hard and over 100mph - and you are still worried?
Well so you should be at those speeds, if something is really wrong.
Suggest, if you are still worried, you get it checked.
Or run the risk of well, not worth mentioning.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah...there is no power loss...Ill have to take it in when it warms up a bit...

I got it in late July and had 2600+mi on it when I put it up for the season...it didnt make the noise when it was warm and humid out...I think it started in the crispy end of fall...I did get a sunny 40 degree ride in last week from work and back and the stuka bomber was still there...I need thicker gloves too...:D

Beginning to think - erm, not a lot wrong with your bike.
If it is running hard and over 100mph - and you are still worried?
Well so you should be at those speeds, if something is really wrong.
Suggest, if you are still worried, you get it checked.
Or run the risk of well, not worth mentioning.
I didnt say anything mechanical was wrong with the bike...I do know that the 05 thruxton that I get frisky with doesnt make the noise at similar speeds and gears...yours is fuel injected and Im not...so I dont know if the tempature change would have anything to do with it...but yes...when it warms up a bit more...but before it gets hot and humid Ill have to ride to the dealer and have it checked out...somethings not right about it...

I do have a question for you Sofiaspin...and this is not a dig...have you ever rode with a kilt on...I only ask because I see you are from Scotland and I have a kilt...I go to several events during the year when I can wear it...and Id love to pull into one on my bike...already dressed...:D

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
No I do not have a kilt! Always fancied getting one again but with short spindly legs not sure it would enhance anything. Riding with a kilt in Scotland would be a sure way to lose your manhood to frostbite.

After listening to that Stuka vid - I am now convinced you have been sold a Jap bike.:D

1 - 20 of 28 Posts