Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought an 07 Scrambler to supplement but not supersede my much older Triumphs. Rode the new bike about ten miles, tried to get the cap off the tank to check the fuel level, and found it was stuck. Was told by the dealer, via phone, that this is typical at first and I need to try harder. Did, but no luck. Attempts with rubber jar-lid opener failed. Got friend who has huge hands and several boxing titles to give a try. Still stuck. Dealer is 60 miles away so I can hardly chance riding the bike in to get them to take it off. The obvious next step -- isn't it? -- is to grab hold with a pair of channel locks, but this risks scratching things up. Does anyone have any other suggestions? In advance, many thanks --

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I have heard of them being tight but not that tight.
try turning it tighter, til it clicks a couple of times.
then try turning off again
G

·
Registered
687 Posts
Go to the hardware store and buy one of those rubber strap wrenches. That should give you enough leverage. They are very handy for lots of things.

·
Premium Member
11,832 Posts
I had the same thing happen to mine, and it is very common.

Once I was at a gas station and literally could not get it off and I was quite low on gas and no where near home. Panic!

I took off my belt and used it as a strap wrench, worked great!

You can lube the threads with silicone or use some sandpaper and file them down a little bit. It will get better as it breaks in. My dealer replaced mine, and it was like starting over again...

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually this cap doesn't click. Maybe the ratchet mechanism isn't working. But I tried your suggestion -- turning the cap clockwise really, really tight -- and when I spun it back counterclockwise it came right off the tank. End of problem. Would never have thought to try this. Greatly appreciate your help, Geoff.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Mine became stuck also, after great effort and pushing down slightly it came off, I plan on buying one of the new locking caps and that may work better.

·
Registered
581 Posts
yeah mine did early on on the Scrambler - bit of panic too as I was well into reserve and 50kms from home. Borrowed a set of multigrips off a mechanic and some rag to prevent scratching, that did it. Substirtuting a round O-ring for the suare section one seems to work, plus some rubber grease on the threads and mechanism

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me a couple of times. Solved the pooblem by purchasing and installing a Monza gas cap from Sel-Motion Sports. And now I gas up happly everafter :-D Plus in brushed Alm it looks cool :-D

·
Registered
489 Posts
Triumph's locked fuel tank cap sits a bit higher and offers a better grip-BTW, while my son took delivery of his new Daytona 675 I managed to scrounge one, I mean outta the hands of a Triumph dealer- they must be turning soft around here! ( or trying to lure son nr2 into buying a T ....)

[ This message was edited by: greyplague on 2007-02-13 16:51 ]

·
Registered
2019 Triumph Street Twin
2,422 Posts
Welcome to the right of passage!

My T100 and Scrambler gas caps are as stuck today after a half year of riding (and tank fill ups) as they were the day the bikes were bought new. They NEVER get easier to open. I will eventually invest in a pair of Monza gas caps.

The first time I took the Scrambler out, I nearly ran out of gas because I couldn't get the darn cap off. I have heard of people actually running out of gas in the same situation with new bikes they weren't accustomed to.

But those caps do come off with a lot of effort.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You may remember, at the top of this discussion, the cap that I finally managed to get unstuck by first turning it very hard clockwise. Well, the blasted thing is stuck again. Guess I'll go after it with a strap wrench as kindly suggested by another contributor. And then get a different cap. Again, thanks --

·
Registered
70 Posts
mine is definitely hard to unscrew and i can't do it without my gloves on. cursing seems to help too but if i were just stuck and unable to get it off i'd be thinking about replacing mine as well.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I find I have to put my weight on the gas cap to unscrew it. I put my hand on top of it, lean on it, then twist. The downward motion does the trick.

·
Registered
38 Posts
1) always carry a special glove, only certain leather ones work

2) do not panic!!! apply pressure (full weight) like a paramedic doing CPR, be steadfast; if it won't open reverse to one-click, repeat; you can do bring her around

3) never worry about a fancy locking cap, aint nobody else gonna get that cap off :hihi:

·
Registered
4,915 Posts
In a pinch,the cap from a 92 Toyota Corolla works just fine.Really ! I think most import car caps will fit right on.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
On 2007-02-13 14:40, oldmanjob wrote:
Solved the problem by purchasing and installing a Monza gas cap from Sel-Motion Sports. And now I gas up happily ever after. Plus in brushed Alm it looks cool.
I never had the problem but read about it enough times that I put the Monza cap at the top of my list of accessory purchases. Mine is chrome. No sticking, looks great.

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
Its weird, but the caps break in. I remember I was just about fed up with wrestling my cap every time (about 1 month into ownership) and it suddenly started to act right.
If you stay with it it'll be alright, after it gets with the program :)
G

·
Registered
893 Posts
My summer mesh gloves have in the palm and it really grips the cap well. I put my weight on the top of the cap and twist without trying to wrap my fingers around it.

Thinking of changing to a Monza cap but not sure about the higher profile and chrome since I'm now going in a different direction.

Dennis

1 - 19 of 19 Posts