Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my second year of Bonneville owenership I decided to take the plunge and try my hand at maintainance after having my local dealer handle it during the first.

I think I've got everything sorted but an Oil Change.

Is there anything unusual about the drain plug?

Is it a Left Handed Thread? Is it normal practice to apply some sort of thread locker?

I've managed to break the sleeve on two 13mm sockets trying to get the plug out, and at this point I'm out of ideas.

I would be more than happy to chalk it up to user error if I could just get handle on where to start looking for the issue.

·
Premium Member
1,909 Posts
Nope and nope and nope.

I would suggest heating the area with a propane torch. Its not supposed to be very tight.

·
30,533 Posts
This is why it's good to do your own maintenance if you can - they must have wound that sumbitch in there super tight. Surprised they didn't strip the thread out actually.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
I am not sure who sells this. There is a wrench that works differently than metric or standard wrenches. It applies the pressure on the FLAT side of a bolt. This avoids bolts from being rounded. Perhaps Sears.

·
Premium Member
20,740 Posts
The sump drain plug should only be tightened to a torque 25 Nm. A lot less than its size would suggest.

Try and "shock" the bolt loose by placing a well-fitting socket or ring spanner on the head, taking up any slack in the loosening direction and then giving it a sharp blow with your hand.

·
30,533 Posts
I am not sure who sells this. There is a wrench that works differently than metric or standard wrenches. It applies the pressure on the FLAT side of a bolt. This avoids bolts from being rounded. Perhaps Sears.
Snap On make those for sure. Probably others do too.

·
Registered
2,277 Posts
This is why it's good to do your own maintenance if you can - they must have wound that sumbitch in there super tight. Surprised they didn't strip the thread out actually.

Or cracked the sump pan. I believe that has happened to more than one person.

·
Registered
8,877 Posts
Are you useing a good 6 point socket?dont trust chepo sockets get a craftsman or snapon they shouldnt break .

·
Registered
98 Posts
Double check you are turning it counter clockwise from underneath the bike not top looking down... :rolleyes: It may sound like a smart @ss thing to say, but I've been smart :confused: enough to strip the threads out on a drain plug by trying really hard loosen it up when in reality I was tightening it... oops!

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Plug

I am suprised that it isnt stripped as well!! NOT supposed to be that tight!! The crush washer does the tighrening. As said- try some heat? AND dont do it again!! Sounds like some grease monkey worked on it before? Good luck!!!!

·
Registered
495 Posts
I always turn the socket on the arm to be sure I'm doing what I expect before doing any work at any strange angle on the bike - force of habit.

Of course that didn't help when I revamped a trailer from my grandfather with reverse thread lugnuts... of course I was trying to turn them the wrong way, in the dark....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for the advice all.

It has been a frustrating experience to be sure.

The plan is to get the bike jack, box end wrench, length of pipe, small torch, and spare set of hands all together in the same spot and give it a go with that in the next day or so.

Hopefully the tools can give me the edge I need and the hands can make sure I'm not the problem.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
866 Posts
At this point, I would be thinking, DIY be damned. Take it back to the crew that did your last oil change and ask them if they can remove it. They hosed it, may be they should be the ones to unhose it.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
At this point, I would be thinking, DIY be damned. Take it back to the crew that did your last oil change and ask them if they can remove it. They hosed it, may be they should be the ones to unhose it.
++1. That was my thought as I read this thread.

Bob

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Given that there's no way to avoid oil on the bolt threads when it's re-installed, it's hard to understand how it could have got in there so tight. Whoever did it has no sense at all.

+1 to the suggestion to make sure that you're turning it in the correct direction.

·
Registered
11 Posts
oh no!

short well 1/2 inch drive impact socket( 6 point) + breaker bar, then after youre done gettin the plug out you can take the same set up to the dealer and wack hercules in the head for putting it on so damn tight.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Success!

Thanks for the kind advice all.

A new 1/2 inch drive socket wrench, a 3 1/2 foot length of lumber, and an embarrasing amout of frustration later - I have finally succeeded in changing the Bonnie's oil.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts