Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

So I've found a thread previously on someones gears getting stuck (The shifter just doesnt move up or down) and the "solution" was to roll the bike back six inches or so, roll it forward and try again, which works most of the time.

The problem is it happens fairly regularly and I'd like to sort it out more permanently. A friend of mine said its a factory defect and if i replace the gear selector pin my problem will be solved, but as a less technically minded fellow i figured I'd come here first before jumping to conclusions.

Also (and I know I'll get flamed for this) it usually happens after big potholes/ditches, off of small drops, or when the front wheel lands after a 1st gear wheelie (dont think theres any other kind on these bikes).

Thanks all in advance!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It may be the gear selector, but worth checking to see if the clutch is adjusted correctly. It can be hard to change gear if it's not. Check this first as it costs nothing in time and money.
So the bike shifts in and out of gear perfectly most of the time, and the clutch still works when the bike is stuck in a gear (thankfully, because then I can pull the clutch, stop, rock the bike back and forth until I'm able to shift, and then carry on) So I'm leaning towards selector at the moment.

Thanks!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just an update:
After combing around I found a thread or two on the gear shift rod being bent easily after even the smallest of drops. On closer inspection I can can definitely see that the selector rod is bent, most likely from a previous owners drop (more evidence of this on the rest of the bike ie; sliiightly scuffed left bar end etc.)
I'm wondering if a bent selector rod could cause the bike to get suck in a gear?

·
Registered
527 Posts
That bent gearshaft goes all the way thru the engine to the right side where it actuates the selection mechanism... see find 20 on this page
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2015-triumph-bonneville/o/m156651#sch888133

It may be causing the issues you mention, but to remove it, you will likely need to straighten it up as best you can just to be able to pull it thru the engine without damage.

Sooo... try straightening it first and see if that fixes the issue.

If not, the drop may have done something to the mechanism that is right behind the drive sprocket, or popped off one of the E clips etc etc.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That bent gearshaft goes all the way thru the engine to the right side where it actuates the selection mechanism... see find 20 on this page
https://www.bikebandit.com/oem-parts/2015-triumph-bonneville/o/m156651#sch888133

It may be causing the issues you mention, but to remove it, you will likely need to straighten it up as best you can just to be able to pull it thru the engine without damage.

Sooo... try straightening it first and see if that fixes the issue.

If not, the drop may have done something to the mechanism that is right behind the drive sprocket, or popped off one of the E clips etc etc.
Thanks RichB, appreciate it. I'll see if I can straighten this thing out and replace it when I get a clutch upgrade so that its only open once.
I'll post an update when I get there!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Thanks RichB, appreciate it. I'll see if I can straighten this thing out and replace it when I get a clutch upgrade so that its only open once.
I'll post an update when I get there!
When you say the selector rod do you mean the gear change shaft or the linkage on the gear lever?
I'd be amazed if that end of the shaft is bent, it's a 12 mm steel shaft and there's only 40 mm protruding from the support bearing, it would take a major impact to Bend that, especially enough to see it by eye.
if there is any damage its more likely to be at the other end in the gear change mechanism, so it shouldn't stop you being able to pull the shaft out easily.
First I'd check that the e-clip is still on the shaft, if it had an impact it may have pushed the shaft in and dislodged the e-clip causing end float on the shaft, if that's the case you may just be able to physically pull the shaft until you can see the groove and replace the e-clip.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
When you say the selector rod do you mean the gear change shaft or the linkage on the gear lever?
I'd be amazed if that end of the shaft is bent, it's a 12 mm steel shaft and there's only 40 mm protruding from the support bearing, it would take a major impact to Bend that, especially enough to see it by eye.
if there is any damage its more likely to be at the other end in the gear change mechanism, so it shouldn't stop you being able to pull the shaft out easily.
First I'd check that the e-clip is still on the shaft, if it had an impact it may have pushed the shaft in and dislodged the e-clip causing end float on the shaft, if that's the case you may just be able to physically pull the shaft until you can see the groove and replace the e-clip.
Hey Scottty,
I was indeed talking about that 12mm shaft but maybe its a bit of a visual illusion and I'm looking at a very slightly bent gear lever. I do see what you're saying about the likelihood of the damage being in that gear change mechanism though. Either way I'm going to have to empty her and open her up to take a look I guess.
Really hoping its just that e-clip.

Much appreciated!

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
Hey Scottty,
I was indeed talking about that 12mm shaft but maybe its a bit of a visual illusion and I'm looking at a very slightly bent gear lever. I do see what you're saying about the likelihood of the damage being in that gear change mechanism though. Either way I'm going to have to empty her and open her up to take a look I guess.
Really hoping its just that e-clip.

Much appreciated!
You don't need to open it up to check the e-clip, it's on the end of the shaft you can see, but if you've not had a major knock on the shaft it's probably not that.
Item 22

Attachments

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Terriblywebb

You don't need to open it up to check the e-clip, it's on the end of the shaft you can see, but if you've not had a major knock on the shaft it's probably not that.
Item 22
Oh okay I see. I figured you were talking about the one on the inside of the clutch cover all the way up against the inner casing, behind the clutch. Will look into that.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Update: Pulled the gearchange shaft which was indeed quite bent. Spent the money on a brand new one and 2nd or 3rd ride in and the problem came back. I thought I'd solved it but no dice. Time to troubleshoot some more.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts