Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, I dropped my bike turning around in gravel today, squashing the gear lever into the dirt. When I got her back up & started, I couldn't get into first. Thinking I could go up & then down the gears, I shifted all the way into 5th. Now I'm stuck there. Really stuck. So stuck I had to have the bike towed 75 miles home.

Any idea what I've done & whether it's fixable by a rookie? I'm hoping I don't have to have it towed to the shop to get it fixed. I've spent enough on towing as it is...

·
Registered
741 Posts
Oh, that sucks. Went down in gravel myself a couple of weeks ago and broke the peg. Luckily, I didn't have any problems with the gear selector shaft.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Gear grief!

You can fix a bent shifter however, do be aware that Triumph builds in a "weak link" into the shaft for the shift lever.
All it is is simply a machined area inside the cover that is thinner than the rest of the shaft, when you stress the shaft by dropping the bike, that weak area will bend slightly, by doing it that way, they protect the fragile gearing and selectors inside.
Do a search or get a Haynes Manual, Bonniebabe, you really should have one anyway it's invaluable when working on the bike.
You may have a bent shaft from the sounds of your description. I seem to remember it's not a difficult job to replace one.
Good luck!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the encouragement & advice. Sadly it turns out the I broke off one of the fork-type bits off of the gear selector rod. A pricey little misadventure. I'll have to follow sweatmachine's advice from now on... :eek:

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
Thanks for the encouragement & advice. Sadly it turns out the I broke off one of the fork-type bits off of the gear selector rod. A pricey little misadventure. I'll have to follow sweatmachine's advice from now on... :eek:
Ouch! Do you mean the internals? I wonder how much that is going to cost? :eek: If your dealer is cooperative, could it be regarded as a warranty issue? The insides shouldn't be breaking from a simple drop.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If they find the piece in the oil sump, as they hope to, it will cost me $927 in parts & labor. Nauseating.

I'll talk to the guys at the shop about it maybe being a warranty issue. Thanks for the tip!

·
Registered
135 Posts
an 09 with a light drop better be a warranty issue. bring a big burly biker type with ya for negotiations... id volunteer, but im 3k miles away.. lol.

·
30,527 Posts
Ouch! Damn that hurts. They will be able to find the broken piece, there really is nowhere for it to hide.

Unfortunately, dropping the motorcycle is not considered normal useage, so it will not be covered by warranty.

Talk to them nicely though - maybe that gear selector fork was defective so the weak shaft didn't protect it right - maybe they can split the cost with you ort something. It's worth a try.

The big burley biker bit doesn't work - they usually have a bigger, burlier biker out the back, and anyway calling the cops is easy.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks, propforward, for the additional info. When push comes to shove, I'll pay whatever it costs to get my bike back on the road......

·
Premium Member
3,599 Posts
Yikes! Now I don't feel so bad about dropping my padlock onto my tank and chipping out a divot of paint.

How about finding a part from a wreck?

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
quit dumping your bikes and you guys won't have any problems, sheesh!
I know this sounds harsh, but I have to agree with Sweat. Forty years, 11 bikes (dirt to 2 goldwings) I live on a dirt road in the desert, and I have never dropped a bike. I know it "just happens", but I just keep hearing it over and over. We have 2 guys at work that dropped theirs at parking lot speeds, 1 guy twice.
OK, now I'm officially an A-hole. :knockknock:

·
Registered
10,856 Posts
You've also officially just got off your lucky streak and will be dropping your bike shortly, just for mentioning it. (I hope not.)

Just like data loss on a computer, it's not if, it's when.

·
Registered
471 Posts
I know this sounds harsh, but I have to agree with Sweat. Forty years, 11 bikes (dirt to 2 goldwings) I live on a dirt road in the desert, and I have never dropped a bike. I know it "just happens", but I just keep hearing it over and over. We have 2 guys at work that dropped theirs at parking lot speeds, 1 guy twice.
OK, now I'm officially an A-hole. :knockknock:

250K miles, and I have dropped my bikes three times, not including dirt bikes.

1. Rear Ended at a stop sign.

2. An Ass making a U-turn illegally in front of me.

3. Slippery root in my front yard.

You were lucky, not just good. It can happen to anyone at any time!:Dang:

Jim :cool:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Five weeks later... The guys at the shop finally got the gear selector fork from Triumph. The bit of the fork that snapped off was not in in the oil sump as they expected so the mechanics had to split the case. Yesterday they found the piece between a couple of the gears. I should be riding again by the end of the week. Sheesh, what an ordeal....

·
30,527 Posts
What a pain in the proverbial. At least they found it....

Glad you'll be out and about again soon!

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
5th gear

Ouch!!!! That had to hurt $$ wise. Lesson learned. I am SURE it wont happen again!!
The words "Splitting Cases" always makes me cringe!! Good luck from here on!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts