Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On the way home from work the other morning, came to use front brake and almost nothing there.
once home, i found the left disc to be warm and the right disc stone cold.
Later decided to strip the front calipers down and found that the left pistons sliders etc were solid.
All i can put it down to is corrosion and a build up of salt and crap off the roads.
Anyway freed the pistons and lubed all the mating faces etc on both calipers.
Bled the front end and now everything seams fine.
looks like routine cleaning of the caliper internals might be on the cards from now on:rolleyes:

·
Registered
705 Posts
On the way home from work the other morning, came to use front brake and almost nothing there.
once home, i found the left disc to be warm and the right disc stone cold.
Later decided to strip the front calipers down and found that the left pistons sliders etc were solid.
All i can put it down to is corrosion and a build up of salt and crap off the roads.
Anyway freed the pistons and lubed all the mating faces etc on both calipers.
Bled the front end and now everything seams fine.
looks like routine cleaning of the caliper internals might be on the cards from now on:rolleyes:
I do it every year - ever since having to muller the pad pins out of my old '93 Tiger 'coz they had probably never been opened for 12 years! Personally, I'm going the route of;

Every year: remove calipers, keep lines on, push pistons as far out as possible without actually going past the seal, pull off sliding bracket & boots, clean everything up with a good old toothbrush, regrease & re-assemble

Every second year: As above but push out pistons, clean internals, bleed screw threads etc & refill with new fluid.

I would be tempted to replace all the seals with new ones normally but I've just done all three calipers and all looks fine on the originals. It probably helps the seal life if you keep the whole caliper & piston area clean anyway.

Jon

·
Registered
724 Posts
Im making sure I strip the sliders off regulary to clean and grease them, I had to cut the rear one off the pins a short while back:(

·
Registered
34 Posts
I was thinking since it is 8 deg (F) and 2 ft of snow on the ground, I should service my brakes. What kind of grease are you guys using and is there anything special on the tiger brakes I should be looking for?

Thanks
J-Dub
01 Tiger 955i

·
Registered
34 Posts
iansoady, littlefield,

Thanks for the info. I will see if I can find the special grease, if not, I will use the brake fluid.

J-Dub

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was doing now on wintertime repairing all of the brakecalipers. The pistons wera struggelling so heavy that I have to use airpressure to shot them away, after that I clean all the pieces.Then I put brake grease in rubbers and after that the pistons slides good.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Triumph manual recommends;
Every two years: Replace seals in brake pistons & master cylinders
Every four years: Replace brake lines

Does anyone do this religiously? Are Triumph trying to cater for the worst case scenario (which is fair enough)?

I would have thought the brake lines at least would last a bit longer than four years.

Jon

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought mine last summer june -08 and in the clock was 59.000 km. Last servicebook marking was done in 40.000 km. First I change oils and spark plugs + airfilter. Now on wintertime I have served brakes, suspension, cooling system etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts