Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Just watched Stuart's video from Wednesday on the Bonneville range gearbox problem and the subsequent failures, which might actually cause an accident. Has anyone had these troubles and did they get Triumph to pay for the repairs?

I am now rather concerned about using the bike if it can go belly up at a drop of a hat.

Comments please.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Already a thread here

Gear selector not gearbox, and blown up out of all proportion in my opinion.
Very unlikely to cause an accident unless you're going into a corner like Marc Marquez, Triumph will fix it if it's still under warranty and if it's not you or an independent mechanic can repair it very cheaply.
If your bikes working fine just ride it and forget about it.

·
Premium Member
319 Posts
I don't really know how to feel about this one. I have a 2017 T120 that has just under 30k miles on it, and I have never had a problem. Also, my wife has a 2018 T120 (about 7k) without a problem.

It actually doesn't sound that dangerous. I can't really think of a scenario where not being able to downshift should cause an accident. It's potentially a huge inconvenience, though, as you could get stranded someplace.

Every post about it has people like me, without any problem (fingers crossed), and people who have had this problem--sometimes more than once. Also, some claim it is either a simple and cheap fix or it is super expensive and difficult. It is a pretty odd situation, because there does not seem to be any known reason for why it occurs on some bikes and not others.

Overall, I am not sure I trust Stuart's opinion lately, however. He has gone so over-the-top in his promotion for Royal Enfield and trashing of Triumph that it makes me suspicious.

Just judging by my reading of all the internet chatter about this: If you have made it past 6000 miles on the bike and you have not had the problem, you are probably OK. If you drop your bike on the shift lever side, either check it out yourself or have someone check it out.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have to agree with your second last paragraph. He's increasingly just trashing triumph. I get it. I have complaints about them too, but listening to Stuart you'd think it was the triumph of old.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I feel he has an agenda here. RE make good cheap bikes but they are not in the same league as Triumph. I have seen them side by side and the RE is good for what it is - a cheap 650.

Wether Triumph should make one to compete is another story......

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Every post about it has people like me, without any problem (fingers crossed), and people who have had this problem--sometimes more than once. Also, some claim it is either a simple and cheap fix or it is super expensive and difficult. It is a pretty odd situation, because there does not seem to be any known reason for why it occurs on some bikes and not others
People who say it's cheap and easy have fixed it themselves, anyone claiming it's super expensive has been shafted by a Triumph dealer or the invoice (warranty or otherwise) has been inflated by throwing unnecessary parts at the job and hours of diagnosis by useless spanner monkeys.
One person gets an extortionate bill from triumph and then claims that's how much it cost to fix the problem, no it doesn't:mad:
Anybody can look at the parts prices for themselves, two of the most common items to cause the issue (presuming you haven't dropped your bike) cost £6 & £22 so anyone who's had that turn into a £1,000 bill has been well and truly bent over.
I'm not saying it's not an issue Triumph should resolve, there's no reason they shouldn't be able to make a gear selector mechanism that lasts the life of the bike, just trying to insert a bit of realism into all the hysteria (from some).o_O

I think part of the reason why it affects some people and not others (apart from maybe variable manufacturing quality and tolerances) is possibly riding style, some people are harder on the gear shift mechanism than others, it's not a criticism because I count myself in that group, I've had to repair mine twice on my Daytona R and my Thruxton is showing signs of a bit of play.
Mileage isn't always a good indication as some people will just plod around and others ride their bikes a lot harder and in my opinion the mechanism isn't tough enough to cope with it.
Maybe that's why some people have the problem more than once and others not at all, although that applies to any random fault.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I enjoyed Stuart's videos in the past, but lately he is in love with the under powered RE 500 Classic he has, and seems to be bashing Triumph.
I don't really know how to feel about this one. I have a 2017 T120 that has just under 30k miles on it, and I have never had a problem. Also, my wife has a 2018 T120 (about 7k) without a problem.

It actually doesn't sound that dangerous. I can't really think of a scenario where not being able to downshift should cause an accident. It's potentially a huge inconvenience, though, as you could get stranded someplace.

Every post about it has people like me, without any problem (fingers crossed), and people who have had this problem--sometimes more than once. Also, some claim it is either a simple and cheap fix or it is super expensive and difficult. It is a pretty odd situation, because there does not seem to be any known reason for why it occurs on some bikes and not others.

Overall, I am not sure I trust Stuart's opinion lately, however. He has gone so over-the-top in his promotion for Royal Enfield and trashing of Triumph that it makes me suspicious.

Just judging by my reading of all the internet chatter about this: If you have made it past 6000 miles on the bike and you have not had the problem, you are probably OK. If you drop your bike on the shift lever side, either check it out yourself or have someone check it out.
I used to think he was 'straight down the line' too, but over the last few months he appears more like an RE ambassador, nothing against RE, I test rode a couple and quite like them.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Speaking from experience of having had this problem three times I have come to my own conclusion.
The detent wheel is made of harder material than the pivot plate in some cases."in some cases" could be due to a bad batch of material used to make the pivot plate.
The original spring used to push the pivot plate against the detent wheel has been updated too in the new shifter mecchanism part. I beleive that a combination of one or both is causing the problem to some people.In many cases the whole mecchanism is completely intact when inspected and I beleive this is the case where the spring was at fault.
In other cases the pivot plate is nicked on the downshift side due to wear. The detent wheel has always been unafected.
I have done 20000km since 2017 and live in the Alps.My riding is 95% of the time in the twisties and I mean 180 degree corners everywhere.I am always changing gear so causing wear.A friend of mine who is the local bike Instructor has also had his gear mecchanism changed on his T120 which was also a 2017 version.
Triumph were good in changing the parts when under warranty, but offered no explanation and changed their half truths when being asked on a couple of occasions.
The third time I decided to do the work myself to save time and to see for myself what was going on.
I can understand Triumph holding back information as to what is going on for commercial reasons and beleive that they are silently fixing them and replcing to the new spring and pivot plate to those affected.
It is just annoying for those of us that have been left in the dark for an explenation.
To update the part you cannot purchase the spring and pivot plate seperatly but have to get the whole shifter arm.It is not expensive at about 70 euros.The labour if not doing it yourself could be different.
I would not worry about it too much as it is not a big danger just an inconveniance.you do get a bit of a hint it is going to happen in irregularities of the shifting beforehand.
Enjoy this fantastic bike and if it happens it is not the end of the world.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well it looks as if Stuart is decrying Triumph yet again. He used to praise them before he bought the 650 cc twin and now the old Bullet, do you think Royal Enfield are giving him some assistance or what have you?

After watching the video I felt as though I had a ticking bomb going on the bike, and it would be worthless if trying to sell it before the catastrophe happens, now I will just forget about it and ride until something either happens or it doesn't. I do tend to use my gearbox a lot rather than rely on just brakes alone, something that was always necessary on older bikes with poorer brakes.

Thanks for your various advice and information.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
After watching many of Stuart's videos over the years I have come to my own personal opinion that he was in search of a sponsor. Bouquets of flowers, and chocolates for Triumph until RE showed up w/ an offer to be his Sugar Daddy. The only reason he hasn't ridden his Bonneville for the past year is someone is paying him to ride something else. Is it me or does anyone else see it also? Again this is just my opinion, but all his videos seem like he is preaching from a soapbox about the imminent demise of Triumph.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I think he's ridden Triumph bikes in the last few months. Maybe his bobber?

But I agree, it does appear like he's being sponsored or supported by RE.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Unfortunately, Stuart is full of hot air sometimes. He doesn't mention the vibration on his RE. He should have bought the Moto Guzzi V7, but he favors the Brit stuff. I find his videos longer than they need to be, here in Hollywood we have a saying "cut to the chase".

·
Registered
112 Posts
Unfortunately, Stuart is full of hot air sometimes. He doesn't mention the vibration on his RE. He should have bought the Moto Guzzi V7, but he favors the Brit stuff. I find his videos longer than they need to be, here in Hollywood we have a saying "cut to the chase".
urgh.... so I am not the only one that finds that he dribbles on a little too much?
I liked some of his older videos but come on..... get on with it....

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
When he started a few years back the videos were very good and informative, now it would seem that he has run out of ideas for them so waffles somewhat to make up the time.

I still use Gunk to clean my engine and bike in general, but have gone over to Muck Off as well after his cleaning video, but as for salt in the mixture, I've never had a problem with rust from washing the bikes over the years as he would have us believe. Perhaps in Yorkshire the water is more corrosive :unsure:😂😂😂

I enjoyed his camping ones and of course the early Bonnneville videos, plus his take on the Norton fiasco were good.
As for vibes, all big Brit type prewar technology singles are going to vibrate, it went with the design, big thumpers, so for him to say that his Bullet has stopped seems amazing to me. I had a 1954 BSA M33 500cc single and that certainly had vibes :oops:😂😂 And not like the Beach Boys "Good Vibrations"

·
Registered
311 Posts
I used to watch some of his content , until he became the marketing dept for Motone , and got a bit weary of watching him posturing in some field , in his latest £500 " Motorcycling sweater " .
The bloke's building a youtube channel , and his latest spate of Triumph bashing seems to be helping him succeed in his venture . It's salacious sensationalizing and that evidently appeals to a lot of folk . It's not dissimilar to slowing down and rubber necking at the scene of a road traffic accident .
You can knock pretty much any marque if you look long and hard enough through s**t coloured spectacles .

·
Registered
558 Posts
He bores the back wheels off of me and has a droning voice; I managed about half way through that last shower of **** until I switched it off. He has an agenda and frankly he is pushing a budget brand’s (quite good) little 650cc twin and knocking a high end Marque that produces some very good kit. There will definitely be an alterer motive. Probably sponsorship, or he will have fallen out with somebody at Trumpet.. either way he has no credibility with me.

Chris

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I think he was expecting Triumph to sponsor him, after all he owns three of them, but now its all Royal Enfield is marvellous etc and Triumph seem to be rubbish now.
He does make some seemingly sensible prophecies about the possible future of Triumph with them moving out of the UK with production and the Corona Virus problems. But it does seem to be sour grapes on his part.

Remember he does come from Yorkshire, so will always be right, well maybe.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts