Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,I'm new to this site so first I had better introduce myself ,my name is Bill originally from England,now living in the Charente s w France.Yesterday I took delivery of a 72 tr6r,it has been restored several years ago engine fully rebuilt restoved frame etc this was in 94,Ive got the reciept for the engine rebuild,then the guy who went to all this expense must have lost interest coz its only done 130 miles since,Ive got the old mot certs.Obviously I need to run in the engine,but how long for and at what rpm,this is where the problem lies,the bike starts first kick every time its got a boyer ignition and idles sweetly at just over 1000 rpm but on the road it wont rev over 4000rpm if I open the throttle at this engine speed the motor dies as if I had closed the throttle,can't get my head round this one,any help greatly appreciated,
Great site,
regards,
Bill.

·
Super Moderator
13,263 Posts
Welcome.

Quite likely you are closing the enricher "choke" slide, instead of opening it. To open it, you must draw up the cable completely with the lever.

If this isn't the problem, you may have totally blocked air filters, or your timing is set incorrectly. Could be other issues, byut these are the most likely.

You'll need to strobe time the ignition to get it right.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome.

Quite likely you are closing the enricher "choke" slide, instead of opening it. To open it, you must draw up the cable completely with the lever.

If this isn't the problem, you may have totally blocked air filters, or your timing is set incorrectly. Could be other issues, byut these are the most likely.

You'll need to strobe time the ignition to get it right.
Thanks for the promt reply,the ignition was strobed when the engine was comisioned after the rebuild, not been touched since,am I correct in thinking the choke is in the off position when the lever is under tension? I tried riding the bike with the air filter removed this made no difference .I took it out for a short ride today, 7k checked the colour of both spark plugs afterwards they were the normal sandy colour,there is no popping back on the over run it just won't rev ,above 4000 ish,
Bill.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Did you replace the spark plug wires? If so did you use resistive wires? If not the Boyer will die like that at high RPM. Too much noise. Unless it is the analog Boyer. Just a thought.

TangoMike

·
Registered
163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi all,I'm new to this site so first I had better introduce myself ,my name is Bill originally from England,now living in the Charente s w France.Yesterday I took delivery of a 72 tr6r,it has been restored several years ago engine fully rebuilt restoved frame etc this was in 94,Ive got the reciept for the engine rebuild,then the guy who went to all this expense must have lost interest coz its only done 130 miles since,Ive got the old mot certs.Obviously I need to run in the engine,but how long for and at what rpm,this is where the problem lies,the bike starts first kick every time its got a boyer ignition and idles sweetly at just over 1000 rpm but on the road it wont rev over 4000rpm if I open the throttle at this engine speed the motor dies as if I had closed the throttle,can't get my head round this one,any help greatly appreciated,
Great site,
regards,
Bill.
Hi finally got to the bottom of the problem,my mate in England traced the chap who had the engine rebuilt he said it had been set up so it couldn't be over revved during the run in period,I had a look under the points cover and found the boyer had been set fully retarded,Ive advanced it about half way its a lot better now,got a strobe light on order will be here next week ,Ive never used one on a boyer before what is the best way to do this,
thanks,
Bill

·
Super Moderator
13,263 Posts
Pull the bike out on to an open driveway and set up a large fan pointing at the front of the engine. Park a car close to the work area, so that you can connect the timing light's power leads to the battery.

Clip the inductive pick-up to the spark plug wire, remove the timing window on the primary cover, remove the ignition trigger cap and slightly loosen the two pillar bolts so you can adjust the stator plate. DO NOT press on the two small coils to rotate the plate, but instead use a small screwdriver pressed against the edge of the screw slot at the top of the stator plate (tap the screwdriver with another screwdriver's handle if need be).

Inviting two friends over to assist will make the job easier, one to start the bike and rev it, one to hold the timing light pointed at the rotor mark, and one to adjust the stator plate's position.

Rev the bike up to 5,000 RPM and set the timing on the mark of the rotor. It sounds like death, but that's how it's done.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Hi Ming,

Welcome to the wonderful world of old triumphs, I too am living in sw france and am in the middle of restoring a 72 Bonneville.

Is you bike still registered in the UK or have you managed to get it registered in France, I've been doing a bit of research and it appears I need a MINE (It's a dossier to prove it conforms to French regulations) Any ideas or advise would be much appiciated.

Thanks

Webby

·
Registered
79 Posts
hi
regarding registering in france (limousin), my '78 was dead simple. i phoned triumph france (number available online or from prefecture), requested certificat de conformite, sent them a cheque for about 120 euros (ouch) with copy of uk reg doc and waited. certificate duly arrived. went to the tax office for the formality of import duty which did not apply, taking once again reg doc.
then took everything to prefecture, gave them some more dosh (60 euros or so?) and all paperwork and received carte grise within 10 days.
as you are no doubt aware, you dont need controle technique on motorbikes:)
bon courage!
Rory

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Merci Rory, :)

I'll give it a go, I was beginning to worry that I would have a bike I couldn't ride on the road. I'd always thought that Triumph France would have no details for the pre Hinkley Triumphs.

Many Thanks, That bit of info has given me a good kick up the arse to get the restoration finished.

I'll let you know when I get the bike finished, then maybe we'll meet up for a beer sometime :)

Webby

1 - 10 of 10 Posts