Triumph Rat Motorcycle Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
OK ya'll. I've got it down to this:
http://hawkeye.ualr.edu/~ltjones/bonnie/31.html

Only a little more to take apart. Now I need to clean the crud/rust/etc. off the frame and then paint everything. Any suggestions on doing this?

Thanks.

-- alonzo

·
Super Moderator
13,271 Posts
I don't necessarily have any cleaning suggestions other than you have to blast the frame before paint or powdercoat, so you'd be doing double work.

I moved your thread to the Member Projects section, and I'd appreciate it if you could go ahead and add some narrative to your fantastic photo spread. That's one of the best photo essays I've seen on a tear-down in a long time. Very thorough! If the narrative is even half of the photo shoot, it'll be awesome.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't necessarily have any cleaning suggestions other than you have to blast the frame before paint or powdercoat, so you'd be doing double work.

I moved your thread to the Member Projects section, and I'd appreciate it if you could go ahead and add some narrative to your fantastic photo spread. That's one of the best photo essays I've seen on a tear-down in a long time. Very thorough! If the narrative is even half of the photo shoot, it'll be awesome.
Thanks. I guess I'll have to plug up some of the more delicate holes before blasting. I do have access to a sand blaster.

Re: photos. Those are there mostly in hopes I'll be able to figure out how to put it back together someday ;-)

-- alonzo

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
alonzo,

Stripping a frame, come on now this is a family forum.

Pookybear
Stripping, man... stripping... you know,,, all those cute little painted lines on stuff. ....sigh... english is such a great language...

-- a

·
Registered
601 Posts
Stripping, man... stripping... you know,,, all those cute little painted lines on stuff. ....sigh... english is such a great language...

-- a
Alonzo,

Make sure you call that "Pin stripping" to your little lady, or you
will get a dirty look.

Pookybear

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
I wonder what happen to Alonzo? I hope he's okay and sure would like to see what happen with his Bonnie. It's a bummer not to see the finished product!

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wonder what happen to Alonzo? I hope he's okay and sure would like to see what happen with his Bonnie. It's a bummer not to see the finished product!
He's still here. Slow going on the bonnie. Bottom end is back together but no gears installed yet. Head has been re-done, cylinders re-bored, new pistons. Major frame parts are now painted but there's still more painting to be done. Wheels are re-built with fresh paint on hubs, new rims and new spokes but I'm still tuning and centering them. I have new shocks, pipes/mufflers, handlebars, headlight, speedo/tach and a bunch of other small stuff.

Basically, I have just about everything I need to finish it. Other projects just keep getting in the way.

Maybe this Winter will get her done.

-- alonzo

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
Hi Alonzo, I've also got a 70 Bonneville that I'm in the process of putting together. I'm very interested in your project since I'm going through the same thing you are except mine came in pieces with most pieces missing. I also just finished installing new rims and spokes and built a truing stand to tighten and tru all the spokes. However, I have taken "Centering" into consideration and been putting it off because I'm not sure where to center it on the spool. When you say "centering" I'm thinking left to right on the spool and not up and down or out of round.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Alonzo, I've also got a 70 Bonneville that I'm in the process of putting together. I'm very interested in your project since I'm going through the same thing you are except mine came in pieces with most pieces missing. I also just finished installing new rims and spokes and built a truing stand to tighten and tru all the spokes. However, I have taken "Centering" into consideration and been putting it off because I'm not sure where to center it on the spool. If you have any suggestions I'd love to hear them.
I'm using this info by Mr.Pete for the rear wheel: http://www.triumphrat.net/classic-vintage-and-veteran/451810-t120-wheel-offset.html

For the front, I'm waiting till I get the wheel into the forks before I finish it up.

-- alonzo

·
Premium Member
1,072 Posts
I just started a new thread on this topic to see what kind of advice I can get but Mr. Pete's idea sounds pretty good.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts